Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jiffy Stand  (Read 3527 times)

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
Jiffy Stand
« on: June 17, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »

Since I bought the SERK, I was worried that the Jiffy stand did not go forward enough and was afraid that the bike would fall over.  My jiffy stand sticks out at about a 90 degree angle from the frame.  Shouldn't it go forward more?

Well, today I was washing the SERK and I thought I was seeing the bike slide a tiny bit on the wet concrete, I was quick to react and caught the bike before it hit the ground (it was on a very tiny incline).  It took everything I had to hold it and lift it back up!

It landed on the engine guard, the left floorboard and bent the rear floorboard bracket.  Obvisouly I can replace the damaged parts, but I am worried how the jiffy stand sits on the bike and worried about coming out one day and finding it on its side.

How does your jiffy stand sit?

Here are some pics of the jiffy stand (pre-fall):

http://palmersheim.us/images/HPIM1680%20(Medium).jpg
http://palmersheim.us/images/HPIM1697%20(Medium).jpg
http://palmersheim.us/images/HPIM1698%20(Medium).jpg
http://palmersheim.us/images/HPIM1734%20(Medium).jpg
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Jiffy Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:11:38 PM »

looks exactly the same.  Sometimes you don't have it far enough out to get it to lock. It happened once to me on a different bike.  :nixweiss:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »

looks exactly the same.  Sometimes you don't have it far enough out to get it to lock. It happened once to me on a different bike.  :nixweiss:
Hey skreminegul, bet it hasn't happened since to you!  that's scary.  but, something that is burned into the riding experience quickly once it happens to ya.  :o har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 07:30:55 PM »

Hey skreminegul, bet it hasn't happened since to you!  that's scary.  but, something that is burned into the riding experience quickly once it happens to ya.  :o har!  :drink: spyder

I will never move the bike whilst cleaning it unless I am sitting on it.  Trying to lift my Classic to clean the rest of the wheels, I had to go past 90 degrees to releast the stand and it was gone.

No damage, fell on a rug. I now keep pieces of rug/ runner on both sides of my bike.....priceless
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:41 PM »

Since I bought the SERK, I was worried that the Jiffy stand did not go forward enough and was afraid that the bike would fall over.  My jiffy stand sticks out at about a 90 degree angle from the frame.  Shouldn't it go forward more?

How does your jiffy stand sit?

That is very interesting, I just went and compared mine to your 3rd picture.  Yours goes almost to the 3rd faux rivet from the front of the floorboard and mine barley goes beyond the forth from the front.  Judging by that, you would think that yours would be more stable, yet I’ve never experienced any instability at all.

Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 08:29:11 PM »

You guys better get used to HD jiffy stands. Just make sure they're lock all the way forward. If you're on a hiil, it'll roll forward against the lock. A little freaky. Just make sure it's locked forward. And on a hill backward, put it in gear so it doesn't slide backwards in neutral on the stand! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 09:50:14 PM »

My heritage classic was more stable than my SEUC. I always turn the wheel to left to help "feel" more stable.
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

HogDoc

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:32:44 PM »

I replaced my stand with an eagle talon which is a very nice look. The next day I took it to the dealer for service and the  y said the bike almost tipped because my new stand snapped at the neck! Lucky the tech caught the bike. Now I am concerned about replacing it with the same stand.
2007 SERK, Custom dynamics LED turn/brake. HIDS, Wizard LED show lights, Roller rockers, extra chrome goodies

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:38:48 PM »

I replaced my stand with an eagle talon which is a very nice look. The next day I took it to the dealer for service and the  y said the bike almost tipped because my new stand snapped at the neck! Lucky the tech caught the bike. Now I am concerned about replacing it with the same stand.
Hey HogDoc, If you can look at the defective stand to see where it broke, it could tell you whether it looks like a defective process in that one piece or whether it was made of a weaker/defective material.  That should give you some info on whether or not to get another one of those......(maybe)  :-\ har!   :drink:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HogDoc

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:38 PM »

spyder,

The break had 1/2 of the metal which was darker and the other half was lighter color metal. I don't know what you can tell me about this?

Hogdoc
2007 SERK, Custom dynamics LED turn/brake. HIDS, Wizard LED show lights, Roller rockers, extra chrome goodies

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:45:20 AM »

Hey HogDoc, my 'read' on this would be that it was partially separated for some time before it finally broke all the way thru..(hence the dark area)...could have been a defective casting or some other previous 'damage' caused it. This would cause me to contact the mfg. and tell them about this and ask if they warrenty and I would also question about using another of their stands.   Good luck on getting a better one for the replacement.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:48:36 AM by spydglide »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 09:31:45 AM »

Hey HogDoc, my 'read' on this would be that it was partially separated for some time before it finally broke all the way thru..(hence the dark area)...could have been a defective casting or some other previous 'damage' caused it. This would cause me to contact the mfg. and tell them about this and ask if they warrenty and I would also question about using another of their stands.   Good luck on getting a better one for the replacement.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
I know folks with the eagle talon kickstands that they have had on multitude of bikes for more than seven years.  I think you may either have got a defective one, or you are doing a lot of low left turns and really banging it up a lot that way.  I know, my rose kick stand takes an enormous amount of punishment this way. 

Since I have a full size dresser kickstand on my lowered SEEG, I have to be very cautious what the cambre of the road is that I want to park on.  Like the edges of the road are usually tapered off into the dirt and that makes it too high on the left side for me usually to just stop and put my kickstand down - the bike is sitting too high.  PIA is what it is, if it didn't look so purty I'd replace it.  But it looks too purty. 

:cherry:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:42:05 AM by Mrs.WeCVO »

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »

My heritage classic was more stable than my SEUC. I always turn the wheel to left to help "feel" more stable.
ditto

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

I have had an eagle talon kickstand on my Heritage for 6 years with no problems at all. My new SERK is now in the dealers and they have already installed a new eagle talon for me. Sounds like you had a defective one. Contact Image direct - they might sort you out with no questions.

:)

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 25 queries.