Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not Sure....  (Read 1250 times)

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
Not Sure....
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »

Hi all,

Not sure if I've put this in the correct spot, so if its not, I apologize! 

Anyway, my father owns a 2002 Road King Classic....24,000 miles, and a 95 kit on it.  He rides everyday, since buying the bike a year ago.  He has noticed that it is "missing".....he changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the battery terminals and tightened them, added fuel injector cleaner, all to no avail.  He has been to the dealer, and they keep telling him that they they need to Dyno it, then do other diagnostics before finding the problem.  I can tell you he doesnt' want to spend the $500 plus to have all that done, only to find out its a $50 fix.  (yeah, he's a tight wad)

The question is, has anyone else experienced this, and what was the problem/solution?  Any thoughts are appreciated....thanx!!

P.S.....here's a pic...
If you don't take that risk, how will you ever know?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Not Sure....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:09:43 PM »

First things I would look to do before taking it into the dealer would be to be sure he doesnt have an intake leak either by soapy water applied to the intake flanges or you can spray break clean around them provided you stay away from the butterfly and see if the bike misses or shuts down.

Check to the fuel filter / change it.

You have already changed plugs, wires.   Is there any blueing to the pipes that might show a lean condition over a miss?   Any particular place where the miss shows up ie a specific RPM.   does he have a race tuner or power commander on the bike?

You could have an injector going bad, but that would be a test done by harley.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »

The first thing you pop needs to do is find another dealer. Seriously, a test ride would suffice. No need for a dyno. Does it have an HD flash, or a PC or  ????
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »

Hi all,

Not sure if I've put this in the correct spot, so if its not, I apologize! 

Anyway, my father owns a 2002 Road King Classic....24,000 miles, and a 95 kit on it.  He rides everyday, since buying the bike a year ago.  He has noticed that it is "missing".....he changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the battery terminals and tightened them, added fuel injector cleaner, all to no avail.  He has been to the dealer, and they keep telling him that they they need to Dyno it, then do other diagnostics before finding the problem.  I can tell you he doesnt' want to spend the $500 plus to have all that done, only to find out its a $50 fix.  (yeah, he's a tight wad)..........................................................
The first thing your pop needs to do is find another dealer. Seriously, a test ride would suffice. No need for a dyno. Does it have an HD flash, or a PC or  ????
hdchic07,

Definitely, the first thing is to find another dealer or service facility.  Looks like those folks are trying to pay off a new dyno.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:36:32 AM »

Thanx a bunch, folks.....I'll pass on the information, as well as ask more questions (about the PC, etc)......he said there is a small "thing" under the seat, off to the left , and he knows its not the ECM....   :nixweiss:  he feels like he is getting screwed around, and obviously that's the case with the Dyno issue.  So I'll pass it on, and see what else I can find out....thanx again!!!!

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:49:36 PM »

Big thanx to Unbalanced!!!!   It turns out, it was an Intake leak.....he tightened everything up and fixed the leak....it runs like a champ!!!!

so again, a HUGE thanx!!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »

hdchic07,

Glad it worked out and was an inexpensive fix.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.