Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flaking Chrome  (Read 1151 times)

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
Flaking Chrome
« on: July 20, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »

I noticed when I washed my bike this last weekend that the chrome on my mirror stems is flaking off.  Looks as if the nuts were over-tightened and the chrome cracked.  I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Take a look at yours....  It was hard to notice, but when I really detailed the bike it was evident when I ran a microfiber towel through there and notice a chunk of chrome had come off.

Will get both mirrors replaced under warranty, hopefully.  The bike has like 400 miles on it.

Thought about just taking the mirrors in, but then can see the argument that they are not the mirrors off the bike and that they would want to see them installed...
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Flaking Chrome
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »

I noticed when I washed my bike this last weekend that the chrome on my mirror stems is flaking off.  Looks as if the nuts were over-tightened and the chrome cracked.  I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Take a look at yours....  It was hard to notice, but when I really detailed the bike it was evident when I ran a microfiber towel through there and notice a chunk of chrome had come off.

Will get both mirrors replaced under warranty, hopefully.  The bike has like 400 miles on it.

Thought about just taking the mirrors in, but then can see the argument that they are not the mirrors off the bike and that they would want to see them installed...
It's a known problem of flaking chrome on some of the MoCo's parts. I wouldn't suggest taking them off to take them in from replacement because they (Dealer/MoCo) may try to say it was due to you removing them that caused the chrome to flake. Also you've never "adjusted" them if asked, you noticed the chrome flaking while detailing.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »

What Firedood said is true! On my clutch lever clamp, the chrome flaked. The dealer said I had to bring the bike back and they replaced (installed) for free once the new part came in.

Rooster452

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »

I had a pair of HD billet mirrors on my old Heritage and they were terrible. If I hadn't part exed it for the new SERK I would have had to replace them a while ago.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:53:14 PM »

It's a known problem of flaking chrome on some of the MoCo's parts. I wouldn't suggest taking them off to take them in from replacement because they (Dealer/MoCo) may try to say it was due to you removing them that caused the chrome to flake. Also you've never "adjusted" them if asked, you noticed the chrome flaking while detailing.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Dood's right on>>>> Had a similar issue on both my '05 and my '06 took em in, let my warranty guy at the dealer handle it>>>No problem, done deal. Greg 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.