Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new respect for 110's  (Read 2633 times)

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
new respect for 110's
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »

Was at the dealer's yesterday and picked up the new Screamin' Eagle catalog.  I'm amazed to see that the 110" heads are a new design.  They have a flat quench area, unlike the httc and 103+.  I must now apologize for some comments I made on this board.  Those heads, with minor cleanup and milled a few thou, will make a great performance head.  A cam with 250ish duration, open aircleaner, larger tb/injectors, good exhaust, tuning device of your choice, and 120/120 is very possible. For my money this makes a cvo bike much more attractive.
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
Re: new respect for 110's
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:17:38 PM »

The trick is finding a cam that works well with this motor, too much duration..... and you get no low end torque.

Gav

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07- Jester
    • CVO2: 03-flhrci
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »

I am trying to stay away from the whole cam thing, opening it up let it breathe, pipes A/C tuner and a good tuner 123 t  97hp, everything seems to be fine, just rode 29+ this past week
this ain't your fathers geezer glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »

Was at the dealer's yesterday and picked up the new Screamin' Eagle catalog.  I'm amazed to see that the 110" heads are a new design.  They have a flat quench area, unlike the httc and 103+.  I must now apologize for some comments I made on this board.  Those heads, with minor cleanup and milled a few thou, will make a great performance head.  A cam with 250ish duration, open aircleaner, larger tb/injectors, good exhaust, tuning device of your choice, and 120/120 is very possible. For my money this makes a cvo bike much more attractive.

You just described my new 110" engine dude! You figured it out after Wes Brown did! Milled & cleaned up ports and chambers w/cometic .030's for 9.8:1 corrected CR, 62 mm TB w/4.89's w/hi-flow A/C, .595 cams w/242 duration, PC III w/a great tune and Fatcats w/Performance muffler. And yes, it does the trick! 126/120 and it runs like a mutha! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gav

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07- Jester
    • CVO2: 03-flhrci
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »

You just described my new 110" engine dude! You figured it out after Wes Brown did! Milled & cleaned up ports and chambers w/cometic .030's for 9.8:1 corrected CR, 62 mm TB w/4.89's w/hi-flow A/C, .595 cams w/242 duration, PC III w/a great tune and Fatcats w/Performance muffler. And yes, it does the trick! 126/120 and it runs like a mutha!

Hoist!

Hoist how ya doin :drink:
Joe stated he wanted me back after the new cyl, did a fine job and the numbers came up some, he now states he has a few tricks he wants to try now TB........... and a few others.
Gav
this ain't your fathers geezer glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 07:07:14 PM »

You just described my new 110" engine dude! You figured it out after Wes Brown did! Milled & cleaned up ports and chambers w/cometic .030's for 9.8:1 corrected CR, 62 mm TB w/4.89's w/hi-flow A/C, .595 cams w/242 duration, PC III w/a great tune and Fatcats w/Performance muffler. And yes, it does the trick! 126/120 and it runs like a mutha!

Hoist!

Hoist how ya doin :drink:
Joe stated he wanted me back after the new cyl, did a fine job and the numbers came up some, he now states he has a few tricks he wants to try now TB........... and a few others.
Gav

Hey Gav, how ya doing? Joe got a lot of really good info testing the things we did on my bike. We learned a lot about the 110's. You definitely want to change the TB. Try what Joe suggests. He won't steer you wrong. I'll be taking it 3+K miles next weekend. Let's see how it all holds up over it's first trip! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:24:56 AM »

The trick is finding a cam that works well with this motor, too much duration..... and you get no low end torque.

agreed, and not enough compression for most cams that would have 250 duration.

note hoists build, 242 duration, so im guessing a intake close of around 40-42 and he had to mill heads to get 9.8 compression. less compression and more duration would have killed his tq. but wes brown knows his stuff! and set up properly!!

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »

rednectum,
You've had some of those heads off a bike, how much do you think they could be milled before getting into the compression releases?  Some folks say 90cc is the maximum volume to get good fill.  Milling and thinner head gasket would get the compression up into the range that long cams like.
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »

rednectum,
You've had some of those heads off a bike, how much do you think they could be milled before getting into the compression releases?  Some folks say 90cc is the maximum volume to get good fill.  Milling and thinner head gasket would get the compression up into the range that long cams like.

which heads? the 103? i have had some off. and they went on the shelf or back to customer or were sent in as cores. i always have tc88 donor heads worked. much easier to control squish and lots cheaper to get more power. being as compression releases are installed after milling-------i dont know how to answer that.

thinner head gasket is used to set squish---not compression. you deck/ mill/ work piston for compression and that depends on deck height and cc. i have seen 96 to 103 builds that were 185 ccp after .005 in the hole and NO milling! with .030 gaskets. lucky i guess. the 103 head is a turd, gotta weld and reshape. setting squish is tough.

but as you are already aware, not doing this correctly results in major ping that several tuners couldnt tune out.

this is why i ship heads to the pro's. hoping my poor communicatiob skills answered your questions.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »

Red...I think he was referring to the 110 heads that have the ACR's already...you may not have had a set of these off a bike yet...but how much could be milled off the head before one had to be concerned about the existing ACR fitment?   :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 02:05:08 PM »

Red...I think he was referring to the 110 heads that have the ACR's already...you may not have had a set of these off a bike yet...but how much could be milled off the head before one had to be concerned about the existing ACR fitment?   :nixweiss:

where is the 110 acr located? how big are the valves, and at what angle? cam lift? overlap? rocker arm ratio? deck height? thewse all come into play.

i guess to really answer the question---------i have never seen a compression release located so close to the edge of combustion chamber that one would be concerned with too much milling.

anyone got a pic of a 110 head? im curious now.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 03:09:13 PM »

Red,

I posted some pictures of my heads after the last replacement of the cylinder and head gaskets.   i will see if I can find the post and add a link here for you.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 03:11:31 PM »

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 10:38:38 PM »

thanks for the pics unbalanced. man, what a pain those must be to set squish! also gotta love the sharp edges around the compression release---------can you say pre-ignition?

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.