Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Considering adding an '08 CVO Ultra to the stable. PLEASE ADVISE.  (Read 1029 times)

HarleySoftailer

Considering adding an '08 CVO Ultra to the stable. PLEASE ADVISE.
« on: September 04, 2007, 03:09:29 PM »

Hi - I'm new to this forum and think I may have found the right place to get some answers...

Right now I've got a 2007 Knucklehead Deluxe (long story).  This bike took over four months to complete.  While I'm glad I did a full-off custom once, I don't feel any real need to do it again.

While my current bike is better than I dreamt it could be, it's not the bike I want to take for long trips.  So i've decided that my Knuck is going to get a sister.  I looked at the Goldwing (Had to look since you can't hear the damn things) and the Vision (my doctor says that my nightmares will stop soon) and have decided I'm going to do what I knew I'd do all along...  get another Harley.

While I like the '08 Ultras, I really like the big engine on the CVO Ultra.  But having already taken a stock H-D and essentially taken it completely apart to make it what I wanted, I'm not too excited to do that again.  I want a touring bike that I can pick up at the dealership, plunk my arse on and go.  Is the CVO Ultra that bike or am I going to have to go through a variety of modifications and after-market parts before it's as dependable, reliable and heart-stopping as my Knuck.  This bike is going to be used for touring.  I'm planning on heading up into New England this fall and then down into the Smokeys.  Next year I'm taking Route 66 from Chicago to southern California and then it's cross-country for Sturgis next August.  So I'm looking for a ride that won't bust my butt and will do an energzier bunny and keep going and going and going.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Harley.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:19:00 PM by HarleySoftailer »
If I can't ride it, eat it, scratch it or change its channel, then I don't need it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Considering adding an '08 CVO Ultra to the stable. PLEASE ADVISE.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »

Hi - I'm new to this forum and think I may have found the right place to get some answers...

Right now I've got a 2007 Knucklehead Deluxe (long story).  This bike took over four months to complete.  While I'm glad I did a full-off custom once, I don't feel any real need to do it again.

While my current bike is better than I dreamt it could be, it's not the bike I want to take for long trips.  So i've decided that my Knuck is going to get a sister.  I looked at the Goldwing (Had to look since you can't hear the damn things) and the Vision (my doctor says that my nightmares will stop soon) and have decided I'm going to do what I knew I'd do all along...  get another Harley.

While I like the '08 Ultras, I really like the big engine on the CVO Ultra.  But having already taken a stock H-D and essentially taken it completely apart to make it what I wanted, I'm not too excited to do that again.  I want a touring bike that I can pick up at the dealership, plunk my arse on and go.  Is the CVO Ultra that bike or am I going to have to go through a variety of modifications and after-market parts before it's as dependable, reliable and heart-stopping as my Knuck.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Harley.
Harley,
Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: When you get a chance you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself, and don't forget to post some pics of your "2007 Knucklehead Deluxe".

To answer your question about doing mods to a brand new CVO Ultra more then likely you will have to do some. Depending on what some have put "the day the bike is made" will depend on how many mods will need to be done. Currently the EPA is restricting the MoCo so much that they are letting the bikes come out the factory considerable lean. You will want to do some mods concerning that to make the motor run cooler and be more reliable. There are a lot of other issues that some are experiencing w/the 110's (head gasket leaks, etc.) you can find more info concerning these in the Twin Cam, Road King, and Ultra boards. I might add being a member of this forum you will be enticed to doing mods and not even know it. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HarleySoftailer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:30:55 PM »

Here 'ya go Fire.  These pics were taken a few days after the build was completed.  I've had her for one month now and I've fabricated new tool box mounts to move the boxes back and in closer to the frame (where they belong).  I've also made a new transmission cover thta doesn't have the "Six Speed" marking.  I clocked 2500 miles in month #1 and am looking forward to more.  I love Old Skool and I've always wanted a Knucklehead and this is what I came up with.

If I can't ride it, eat it, scratch it or change its channel, then I don't need it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »

That is sweeeeeet!!!! Great job. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »

Harley,

First, welcome to the site and I like the knucklehead Deluxe....Sharp.

I have had my 08 SEUC for about five weeks now.  You will want to do a few mods on the 08 SEUC if you get one ....minimum of exhaust, A/C, and dyno tune.  You should then have a bike that performs as you would expect. 
Then you will probably get caught up in OCD and start buying chrome.

hafbad0

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:34:12 PM »

Harley, I think you will really enjoy the big 110 CVO Ultra Classic.  Especially the ABS brake.  The best thing that could happen to a Harley(ABS).  I purchased my 08 about three weeks and have enjoyed it so much that I have not been back on my Road Glide.  I was surprised at the amount of torque it put out in stock form.  A few mods and it may be the perfect touring bike for me.  Since 1998, I have only owned Road Glides.  Love this big 110 :2vrolijk_21:

HarleySoftailer

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »

Thanks haf.  What mods are you considering?

HDCrazy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE Red (Sold)- '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '15 FLTRUSE Blue (Sold)
    • CVO3: '14 FLHTKSE (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »

Hey HafBad0..did that '98 Road Glide happen to be beautiful Laser Red?? And did you happen to buy that from a Harley-Nut in College-Station??

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.