Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 FLHTCUSE3 Clutch Problem  (Read 1323 times)

dalwolf

08 FLHTCUSE3 Clutch Problem
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:46:48 AM »

I have just 500 mi on my new 08 FLHTCUSE3; this morning the clutch will hardly engage and shifting gears is difficult. When stopped at traffic lights, the clutch will not fully engage. Has anyone had problems with their hydraulic clutch?
Update: Thanks guys; trailered it to the dealer this morning. Had them also look at three other smaller issues: missing rivots on the tour pak lid, key fob working intermittently and rear brake. Interesting that I had no defects on my 2003 FLHTCUI. I hope that it wasn't built on a Friday or Monday.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:56:32 PM by dalwolf »
My bikes: 2003 100th anniversary FLHTCUI and a 2008 FLHTCUSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 08 FLHTCUSE3 Clutch Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »

I have just 500 mi on my new 08 FLHTCUSE3; this morning the clutch will hardly engage and shifting gears is difficult. When stopped at traffic lights, the clutch will not fully engage. Has anyone had problems with their hydraulic clutch?

Welcome aboard dalwolf! Sounds like you have a leak in the hydraulic line. Check the connections at both ends very carefully. Tighten them up and bleed system. Or have dealer try same. Good luck with your new bike! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:15:38 AM »

dalwolf,
Welcome to the site.
New bike..................take it back to the dealer.  Too new and you paid too much to be worrying about it yourself.
I would guess that you have air in the lines.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »

Definetly not a normal thing to have happen.  It sounds like air as other's have said, but if it didn't happen until 500 miles something probably leaked and let the air in.  It can also be the clutch retainer nut under the derby cover working it's way out.  This can happen on a hydraulic or normal clutch and if it falls off it can catch in the primary drive and rip the chain and gears apart.  At the very least you'd have to remove the primary to get the nut out and replace it.  Do not delay in getting it checked by the dealer.

Good Luck!

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

dalwolf

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 07:50:38 PM »

Picked the bike up Friday; there was some air in the clutch line, but they could not find a leak anywhere; could it have been completely bled from the factory?
My bikes: 2003 100th anniversary FLHTCUI and a 2008 FLHTCUSE3

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:40:59 PM »

Although unusual it could be that there were small bubbles suspended in the fluid that settled out, or that the factory did not correctly bleed the system.  I would have thought it would show up before 500 miles.

Keep an eye on it now.  If it happens again there's obviously another issue.

Good Luck!!!
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.