Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just Two (2) Things.......  (Read 659 times)

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
Just Two (2) Things.......
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

1) Why is SUNOCO the only gasoline for NASCAR ?  I have been aware of varying qualities of fuel for most of my motor traveling life.  It all started when I ran out of fuel in the foot hills of southern California while riding my mini-bike that I bought with my paper route earnings.  This was in the late 50's.  A fine gentleman who was in the area with his son also riding offered a fill up at no charge.  I accepted the offer.  When I fired up my mini-bike which had a centrifical clutch powered by a two cycle Techumsa engine, the power from the low octane introduced, was not sufficient enough to pull the lowliest hill.  I drained the fuel out in disgust and pushed it up over the top of the biggest hill and coasted most of the way home.  In those days you could buy Chevron 102 octane for less than 35 cents and I believe that's what got me there.

In highschool I street raced a 59 Ford Galaxy 352 CI 4bbl nothing else but Chevron 102 and beat more formidable oppenents only because they had not a clue on the fuel.

Recently my SUNOCO station was going under new ownership and a face lift that stopped my fuel of choice and opted for the only other station that had 93 octane which was BP.  It ran OK but I thought I felt a difference in lack of the performance I was used to.  When my SUNOCO station got back on track and my first tank full back to the fuel of choice made a real difference. 

There are no Chevron stations on the east coast that I know of.

I will admit that no matter what fuel you use consistently, there are always variants that you have no control over.

I have been using SUNOCO 93 for over 15 years now, even in my weedwacker.  My SUNOCO stations have stopped offering 94 octane since before I got the STSSE or I would have it in now.

2)  When I ride, I ride with full leathers Competition jacket, Vangard chaps, Stealthflame modular helmet, and perforated gloves.  The only time I won't is when it's better than 90 degrees.  I can guarantee you that I am cooler inside my leathers during the summer months than any body wearing a vest and or t-shirt while moving.  Most of the guys that knew this are dead now.  The leather protects my body from the sun, and the air moving thru my jacket keeps me cool and even gives a chill when I have stopped and regained speed, evaporation and forced air is a natural airconditioning phenomenon.  From some of the looks I get from passing riders they must think just the opposite.

Lastly, you have seen the testicles hanging below the bumper of some vehicles out there, well I am buying a new Rocker and attaching a dil-- onto the fender for my new girl frend  :P :huepfenjump3: :P :huepfenjump3:...................S/F   Jack

FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Just Two (2) Things.......
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »

I think they use one vendor so there is no variables in the fuel, everyone runs the same thing, same from track to track. Back in the early 70's when I had my 69 GTX 440, I only ran Sunoco 102 octane.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
Re: Just Two (2) Things.......
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:26:33 AM »

Why is this post in the Springer section?

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.