Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Synthetic Oil Weights and Substitutions  (Read 1413 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Synthetic Oil Weights and Substitutions
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »

So... I'm having some difficulty keeping up with the Joneses...

I went out oil shopping today and had difficulty locating the oils of choice used by most on the site here.

Ended up back at the dealer and bought four bottles of the syn SE 20-50 stuff even though I wanted to try something else.

It seemed the location with the best selection was Auto Zone but obviously there were no "motorcycle specific" brands.

I found Amisol, Royal Purple, Mobile etc, but I'm confused about the weights and then there are the issues surrounding what to use in the primary and tranny.

Is it safe to assume that oil is oil is oil, and that there can be substitutions made in the interest of maintaining my sanity?

For example, is there a standard weight engine oil we should be using, and is it really OK to use that in the other two holes?

I don't think I will be able to find the Redline shockproof stuff that many seem to be using, but there is a Redline tranny fluid that they carry.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:39:52 PM by murphy »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Synthetic Oil Weights and Substitutions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »

I went out oil shopping today and had difficulty locating the oils of choice used by most on the site here.

Ended up back at the dealer and bought four bottles of the syn SE 20-50 stuff even though I wanted to try something else.

It seemed the location with the best selection was Auto Zone but obviously there were no "motorcycle specific" brands.

I found Amisol, Royal Purple, Mobile etc, but I'm confused about the weights and then there are the issues surrounding what to use in the primary and tranny.

Is it safe to assume that oil is oil is oil, and that there can be substitutions made in the interest of maintaining my sanity?

For example, is there a standard weight engine oil we should be using, and is it really OK to use that in the other two holes?

I don't think I will be able to find the Redline shockproof stuff that many seem to be using, but there is a Redline tranny fluid that they carry.

My local Autozone stocks Mobil 1 v twin - but they didn't until I asked them to.  Now they always have at least a case on hand all the time.  I use Mobil 1 V twin in the motor, Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission and Redline MTL in the primary.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »

All of the Autozones around here (about 7 within a decent radius) stock the Mobil 1 V-Twin.  None of them have cute girls at the parts counters though.

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »

this isn't the set up for a "snake oil" thread too is it? :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

Mike, the engine needs 20w50 for year round use.  You may have to ask at the counter at Auto Zone for the Mobil-1 V-Twin, my local store doesn't display it anymore but usually has a case in the back.  If they don't, do like sadunbar suggested and ask them to get it for you.  In a pinch, you can also use the Mobil-1 15w50 automotive oil (I used it for years before they came out with the V-Twin product).

You can use the same oil in the primary, which is what I do, but I would suggest a real gear oil in the transmission rather than following the "all 3 holes" philosophy.  You will notice smoother operation with a gear oil, especially when hot.  The standard weight is 75w90, optional 75w140 or 85w140, from Mobil-1, Amsoil, Spectro, Bel Ray, Red Line, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »

I got mine (redline - for Tranny and Primary) at Summit Racing - do you get nailed ordering from the US for shipping/taxes?

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 06:04:35 PM »

My local Autozone stocks Mobil 1 v twin - but they didn't until I asked them to.  Now they always have at least a case on hand all the time.  I use Mobil 1 V twin in the motor, Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission and Redline MTL in the primary.

ditto - at the recs of many posters here.  SERK loves them.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »

We get hammered on duty here when stuff is shipped up. I make regular trip south but was hoping that I could find a reasonable substitution without travelling.

The info has helped... thanks as usual!

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.