Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TMAX question for Rhino or anyone who knows the answer.  (Read 1719 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
TMAX question for Rhino or anyone who knows the answer.
« on: July 30, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

I went to adjust my afr/tps @ rpm in my map. Changed ONLY those settings, nothing else. Now my speedo is acting funny. When coming to a stop, it "hangs" up at 5-10mph, and then drops to 0 after about a second or two of standing still. Today it "bounced" up and down, and then dropped to 0 for a few seconds before coming back up. I linked and monitored, and checked the Basic Setting for speedo calibration is STILL at 4352.

Any idea?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: TMAX question for Rhino or anyone who knows the answer.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »

Ironhorse,

It may not be the T-Max. Your symptoms are consistent with debris on the speedo sensor?  I would inspect/clean the magnetic sensor to rule that out before focusing on the T-Max.  Only takes a couple of minutes.  The onset of the problem after your AFR changes may just be coincidental.

John
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Rhino

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »

IH,

My recommendations were that you use the stock map, and stay away from the settings ranges. The last map you provided me was adjusted by you to be WAY lean in the exact place you were to run richer. I don't quite understand why you are popping up all the time with the same questions, although I will admit this one is different.  And my answer is that the TMAT itself has nothing to do with the sensors and the speedo you are reacting to, but, it MAY be the changes you have been making on the maps, without reading the manual regarding initialization and clearing the offsets properly. My take is that you MAY have a problem that these ongoing adjustments have now totally confused the TMAX, but it is not the TMAT error, it is the user. 

Please read the manual, it is well written, and IF you do not have a TOTAL understanding of what changes you are making, you need to stay away from it, otherwise the problem will continue to compound itself. It is unfortunate that you are so far away, otherwise one of us would re-do the maps for your continued enjoyment.  IN the meantime, I would definitely revert back to the proper map, and read the installation of same, and making sure you have cleared out any and all of the old stuff. It is in the manual, abd we have gone over this numerous times, but at this point it is hard to get you to follow the critical steps. 

If you can solicit a local TMAT owner on this board, perhaps they can come to your rescue in person. It seems that is going to be the actual solution, since this long distance is sometimes for the birds.

Rhino

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »

IH,

My recommendations were that you use the stock map, and stay away from the settings ranges. The last map you provided me was adjusted by you to be WAY lean in the exact place you were to run richer. I don't quite understand why you are popping up all the time with the same questions, although I will admit this one is different.  And my answer is that the TMAT itself has nothing to do with the sensors and the speedo you are reacting to, but, it MAY be the changes you have been making on the maps, without reading the manual regarding initialization and clearing the offsets properly. My take is that you MAY have a problem that these ongoing adjustments have now totally confused the TMAX, but it is not the TMAT error, it is the user. 

Please read the manual, it is well written, and IF you do not have a TOTAL understanding of what changes you are making, you need to stay away from it, otherwise the problem will continue to compound itself. It is unfortunate that you are so far away, otherwise one of us would re-do the maps for your continued enjoyment.  IN the meantime, I would definitely revert back to the proper map, and read the installation of same, and making sure you have cleared out any and all of the old stuff. It is in the manual, abd we have gone over this numerous times, but at this point it is hard to get you to follow the critical steps. 

If you can solicit a local TMAT owner on this board, perhaps they can come to your rescue in person. It seems that is going to be the actual solution, since this long distance is sometimes for the birds.

Rhino

Rhino,

I did reload the original MAP, and no change. Next I will clean the speedo sensor in the top of the tranny. I will then clear ALL offsets again, and reload the original MAP again, and reintialize. I apologize for my lack of understanding with the T-Max system, I do read the manual when I have issues, but sometimes it's Greek to me, leaving me with more questions. So I turn to folks like you for help. In our e-mail of July 17, you said you were going to take my current MAP, and data log to Zippers for review, and get back to me with their recommended MAP corrections to help me improve my mpgs. Up until today, I had been holding off making any changes waiting to hear from you. But as you pointed out, and I am finding out, this long distance help is for the birds.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 01:39:28 AM »

Rhino,

Okay, I cleaned the speedo sensor. It was all gunked up with crud and metal shavings. Then I followed the manual instructions and properly cleared the IAC, and the CLP. Hopefully this cleared everything out of the ECM. Then I reloaded the original MAP that Zippers sent me. This was the one that was modified by the guy that Fitz sent me to last year to help me get the bike to run properly. I left the MAP in it's original condition and did not change anything like you said. All the afr lines in all the tuning pages are flat and are at 13.021 to 1. I reinitialized and did a cold start up. I ran it to 289 degrees and shut it off, then back on to set the IAC.

When I took it for a ride the speedo jumped a couple of times, and then started back with hanging at 5mph for a couple of seconds while stopped before dropping to 0. The bike ran really well, and is once again getting 24-26mpgs like it did last year. I'm sure one of the reasons it was running so well was because it's running so rich. I guess I'll just have to live with the funky speedo and poor mpgs. It seems there's not much that can be done about that.

I really appreciate all the help and advice, thanks.

Mark

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »

iron horse, after reading your post, i would like to add something that may help. the true duals allow lots of reversion, this brings fresh air into the pipe, making the o2 sensors think you are running lean. they then keep adding fuel to bring the autotune to its target of 13.2. this would explain your poor mileage. true duals are notorious for 2 things----poor low end tq, and reversion. difference of pipe length means different amounts of fresh air being drawn into the cylinders. now you have cylinder imbalance that appears to be fine to the ecm, caused by erroneous o2 readings.

as stated above, the thundermax is probably not responsiblee for sppedo problem, i would first check all grounds, and switch connections. lastly, disconnect battery to drain residual power from ecm, them treat initialization of the thunddermax as if it was a new install.

maybe i helped/ maybe i didnt. let us know.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:50:59 PM »

iron horse, after reading your post, i would like to add something that may help. the true duals allow lots of reversion, this brings fresh air into the pipe, making the o2 sensors think you are running lean. they then keep adding fuel to bring the autotune to its target of 13.2. this would explain your poor mileage. true duals are notorious for 2 things----poor low end tq, and reversion. difference of pipe length means different amounts of fresh air being drawn into the cylinders. now you have cylinder imbalance that appears to be fine to the ecm, caused by erroneous o2 readings.

as stated above, the thundermax is probably not responsiblee for sppedo problem, i would first check all grounds, and switch connections. lastly, disconnect battery to drain residual power from ecm, them treat initialization of the thunddermax as if it was a new install.

maybe i helped/ maybe i didnt. let us know.

Rednectum,

Thanks for the reply. I just loaded the "unofficial/unauthorized" firmware update to resolve that O2sensor reading air being sucked back up the pipes problem. That did get rid of popping, and probably helped the mpgs too. The speedo still acts weird but that is something that should be resolved next week. By then I should have my new ECM from Zippers (A separate issue dating back to over a year), and that should fix the speedo problem. The new ECM will have the same firmware upgrade, (and since it's coming from Zippers directly it should be official and authorized) so that should contiue to address the O2 sensor problem.

However I won't be able to do the swap right away. I'm on vacation in Hawaii for the next two weeks. When I do get back I'll install, load the MAP, initialize, and go for a cross country ride with a buddy.

Mark

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:15:58 PM »

Rednectum,

Thanks for the reply. I just loaded the "unofficial/unauthorized" firmware update to resolve that O2sensor reading air being sucked back up the pipes problem. That did get rid of popping, and probably helped the mpgs too. The speedo still acts weird but that is something that should be resolved next week. By then I should have my new ECM from Zippers (A separate issue dating back to over a year), and that should fix the speedo problem. The new ECM will have the same firmware upgrade, (and since it's coming from Zippers directly it should be official and authorized) so that should contiue to address the O2 sensor problem.

However I won't be able to do the swap right away. I'm on vacation in Hawaii for the next two weeks. When I do get back I'll install, load the MAP, initialize, and go for a cross country ride with a buddy.

Mark

you said a mouthfull when you said"directly from zippers". can you imagine the free tech support they give-----even when you bought a refurb unit from an internet discount house??? hats off to zippers for trying to earn your business, and it makes you realise that the money saved from second run internet shopping may not have been such a bargain afterall. maybe thats why i dont experience the problems i read about---------evry unit i install for my customers comes from zippers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:32:42 AM »

you said a mouthfull when you said"directly from zippers". can you imagine the free tech support they give-----even when you bought a refurb unit from an internet discount house??? hats off to zippers for trying to earn your business, and it makes you realise that the money saved from second run internet shopping may not have been such a bargain afterall. maybe thats why i dont experience the problems i read about---------evry unit i install for my customers comes from zippers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rednectum,

ALL my purchases have been directly from Zippers, and not a discount vendor. Today I got an e-mail from my neighbor who is watching my house, and he says my new ECM came in today. This is my third Zippers ECM in a year, (long story there).

Anyway the Hawaii vacation is going great, we went deep sea fishing on day three, and caught lots of Mahi-Mahi, Aku, and Yellow Tail Tuna. We've been enjoying fresh fish, tempura, sashimi, and grilled style. Hurricane Flossie has been downgraded, so that means nothing more that rain, wind and BIG surf out here on the North Shore.

Aloha!

Mark

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:43:05 AM »

ironhorse, my apologies, i dont know how i read that into the story(cyber-purchase) sometimes my public school days in louisiana come back to bite me in the ass. lol.

wow, cool vacation, freaky weather and all. we want pics!!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 12:23:11 AM »

Here is a link to a picture from our fishing trip.

http://www.chupu.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=9

Aloha!

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.