Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oddball 103" build?  (Read 2771 times)

MadMaxUK

Oddball 103" build?
« on: November 15, 2007, 12:25:59 AM »

Hi Guys .. First post on this site, hoping to pick your brains! I've recently bought an 01 Heritage with a list of motor work that's been done at a dealers but it doesn't seem to match up. The list reads: 103 Stroker crank, 95" FT cast pistons, CV44 & SE manifold, SE 203 cams & valve spring kit no. 18273-00 (?), SE ignition & coil 31775-00, stock headers with SE mufflers. The list says the heads have been machined to give 10.5:1 and still have stock valves - I tried to check this but the company that did the work has gone bust. I've got this to be about 9.9:1 but I haven't had the heads off yet to cc them. I've put a couple thousand miles on the bike & it's not as lively as my 95"/26G FXST. I'm based in the UK but I'm on your side of the pond now for work/shopping trip. I was thinking of either Andrews 37 or 44G (geared depending on runout), Mikuni 45, Cometic 0.030", DTT and a FatCat to wake it up to where it should be. It'll be used for mostly touring 2 up with camping gear, only occasional trips to 5000+ RPM. Sorry for the long post, I'm just looking for any mistakes in my choices before I go out & spend the money. Thanks in advance!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Oddball 103" build?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:52:47 AM »

on  a questionable build, i would rip the heads off. thtis allows you to check stroke, bore, cc, deck height, valve size and condition. okay, might as well pull jugs and mic for cylinder/piston clearance and inspect rods.  if all is well, its just a day of having a few beers and new gaskets. if all is not well, now you know and can blueprint as you go back together. once this far down, another hr and you have checked crank runout, gear lash or chain tensioners, confirmed which cams are actually in there and inspected/replaced oil pump.

yep, you see where this is headed----------for peace of mind, you just rebuilt your engine and it is done correctly! after all, if build wasnt suspect, you wouldnt have made this post.

good luck and have fun!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:28:14 AM »

Hi Guys .. First post on this site, hoping to pick your brains! ....
Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: When you get a chance you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

If the bike was mine I would want at least the heads off to check everything out, but also to have the heads flowed, Velocity checked, and springs looked at.   If the heads don't flow you may never be happy with whatever cam you put in there.   I would recommend that you follow what rednectum is suggesting it would be worth the piece of mind and allow you to put the right cam in to match the velocity / flow of the heads or have inform you enough to have them reworked to suit your end result.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MadMaxUK

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:06 AM »

Some sound info here guys just as I was expecting .. As I'm in the US at the moment I'm hoping to buy the new cams, carb & exhaust while I'm here to save a ton of money compared to UK prices. Unfortunately I haven't had the heads off yet so all I can do is believe what the list of work done tells me. Even though I haven't measured runout yet, I'd still risk buying gear drive cams while I'm here - if runout is too much then I can always sell them back at home. what do you think to using stock heads on a 103"? Would you suggest bigger inlets? I can get the heads reworked if necessary but with stock 88" head volume at around 85cc that's going to push me pretty high on CR. I'm still not decided on cam choice either, I'm all ears if you have any suggestions for the bike's intended use? Thanks!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 06:42:40 AM »

Some sound info here guys just as I was expecting .. As I'm in the US at the moment I'm hoping to buy the new cams, carb & exhaust while I'm here to save a ton of money compared to UK prices. Unfortunately I haven't had the heads off yet so all I can do is believe what the list of work done tells me. Even though I haven't measured runout yet, I'd still risk buying gear drive cams while I'm here - if runout is too much then I can always sell them back at home. what do you think to using stock heads on a 103"? Would you suggest bigger inlets? I can get the heads reworked if necessary but with stock 88" head volume at around 85cc that's going to push me pretty high on CR. I'm still not decided on cam choice either, I'm all ears if you have any suggestions for the bike's intended use? Thanks!

what kind of fuel yall have in the uk? octane? blended fuel?  yeah, a reworked stock head is the way to go, most folks upsize the intake valve.

MadMaxUK

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 03:41:46 AM »

Yeah I forgot to mention that! We do well in the UK for fuel - minimum is 95 and most places also sell 97, even 99 if you know where to go! Worth me staying with the stock size chambers then and having bigger inlets fitted? Thanks!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 03:52:34 AM »

Yeah I forgot to mention that! We do well in the UK for fuel - minimum is 95 and most places also sell 97, even 99 if you know where to go! Worth me staying with the stock size chambers then and having bigger inlets fitted? Thanks!

Don't forget when comparing across the pond that the numbers aren't the same.  We use (R+M)/2 in North America while Europe, the UK, Australia and much of the rest of the world uses straight RON.  The differences in scales accounts for four to five points difference in numeric display for the same qty fuel.  Your commonly available minimum of 95 is the same as a 90-91 grade here.

MadMaxUK

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 04:21:41 AM »

Really? I didn't know that! Hmmm ... A bigger picture then when I'm looking at cam choices. I was thinking Andrews 37 or maybe 44. Do I need to worry about pinging with UK 95 octane & my 88 inch heads on a 103 pushing the CR to around 10:1?

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 06:15:42 AM »

after what twolane said about the RON-----thanks for the info BTW,  i would stick to 9.6 or so. a woods 6 will run there, tw26, tw37, and others. have your builder pay close attention to squish.

how hot do the temps get where you ride?

MadMaxUK

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

I'll be doing the build myself and will definately be checking deck height to get as close to zero as I can. I was thinking of going with the Cometic 0.030 head gaskets. I've got a 95" Softail with 26G's & I'm really happy with that. The Softail is my bike for solo rides but the 103" Heritage is going to be for longer trips riding 2 up with camping gear - I was thinking of 37G's or maybe 44's. I have no experience of Woods cams - worth considering? Thanks.

MadMaxUK

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 03:17:19 PM »

I'm just looking at the specs for the Andrews 31 .. Power comes on low & good for about 10.2:1 CR .. Anyone using these? This gets more confusing every day!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 08:35:19 PM »

I'm just looking at the specs for the Andrews 31 .. Power comes on low & good for about 10.2:1 CR .. Anyone using these? This gets more confusing every day!

you should do it everyday!!!!!!! i wouldnt run that cam with your fuel.

MadMaxUK

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »

Rednec .. Would you suggest the 44 or 37 over the 31's for my CR? Thanks!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 05:07:18 AM »

the 37. at 9.5-9.6

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.