Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Streetglide load with gremlins>PLEASE READ  (Read 5755 times)

Rrayy200

Streetglide load with gremlins>PLEASE READ
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »

I have a 2006 streetglide. The list of problems just goes on and on. Here we go..POOR HANDLING AT SPEEDS OVER 50 - ALSO EXCESSIVE VIBRATION THAT KEEPS BREAKING FAIRING BRACKETS - MAIN BLACK BRACKETS AS WELL AS SPEAKER SUPPORT BRACKETS - 3 SPEAKER BRKTS - 2 SETS OF MAIN SUPPORT BRKTS. IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND - VERY FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT. OH ALSO CLUNK NOISE IN STEERING HEAD AFTER BRNG ADJUSTMENT BY DEALER - TOLD THEY HAD TO INSTALL SHIM STOCK BETWEEN UPPER TRIPPLE CLAMP AND BEARING LOCK NUT. Has any one else had these any of these problems. The dealer is clueless. So here I am looking for info. It is to the point I am going to lemon law this bike.  Thanks for any help..

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: Streetglide load with gremlins>PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:22:46 AM »

Good afternoon Rrayy200,

:welcome_005: on the CVO website.

It would be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread "New member Introduction" with a pic of your bike.  :2vrolijk_21:

Best regards

:vrolijk_26:  Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »

Welcome to the site.  I have a couple of questions.  First, where are you located?  Second, have you tried bringing the bike to a different dealer to get their opinion?
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »

My wife rides a 2006 FLHX with close to 20,000 miles on it. Only 2 problems so far and both are radio related.

Replaced radio, and antenna wire broke.

Her bike rides and handles like a dream.

Try another dealer for a second opinion.

Rrayy200

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »

I have delt with a factory rep at this dealer. (twice) I have a case number with Harley Service dept. No one can solve this. They just keep fixing it but not solving it.  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »

I have delt with a factory rep at this dealer. (twice) I have a case number with Harley Service dept. No one can solve this. They just keep fixing it but not solving it.  

The factory rep likely isn't a mechanic (or at least not a skilled one).  He's a bureaucrat.  Your ass and the bike's stability are in the hands of the mechanic.  If this shop, after multiple attempts, has been unable to even put a dent in the problem everyone's advice to seek a second wrench is not a bad one.

It's no doubt easier to just keep doing what you're doing  That's apparently not been productive though.  So why not try something else?

Rrayy200

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »

This bike has everyone scratching there head. The guys in that dealer just keep shaking there head. The other dealerships I had to deal with while on a long ride 500 miles from home. Had no answer when they had to fix the brackets as well. That why I am here looking to see if I am the only one. The bracket problem I found while searching through everything. But i want to know why.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »

This bike has everyone scratching there head. The guys in that dealer just keep shaking there head. The other dealerships I had to deal with while on a long ride 500 miles from home. Had no answer when they had to fix the brackets as well. That why I am here looking to see if I am the only one. The bracket problem I found while searching through everything. But i want to know why.

The brackets do occasionally break.  But not in the repetitive quick succession you're describing.  It does seem apparent you've got something troubling going on.  There aren't, however, that many options for them to repair to do something that should at least make a dent in it. 

The one shop on the road I'd likely discount.  They could be as interested in getting you on your way as in getting involved in a long term problem/solution.  So it's still only your local shop that is scratching its head.  If they don't have a solution why not try another shop (if there's another option within range)?  It's not like you're really got anything to lose. 

The obvious problems to consider for vibrations are, well....., obvious.  Mounts and stabilizers, maybe neck problems or something binding in the travel (but that'd more likely give handling problems of a different type then you are describing).  Everyone can guess.  WAG's are what they are for a reason though.

Rrayy200

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

A brief history on my scooter.. They have done motor mount adjustments, checked the motor and tranny alighment now they want to check the crank saying maybe the vib are causing it ... They have done everthing to try but no help. I put the true track on it to help the handling but the bike is still a little shaky on turns and at high speeds moves around alot(70 and above). That why I am here looking to see if anyone has had the troubles. Thanks for any and all opinions.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »

I have a 2006 streetglide. The list of problems just goes on and on. Here we go..POOR HANDLING AT SPEEDS OVER 50 - ALSO EXCESSIVE VIBRATION THAT KEEPS BREAKING FAIRING BRACKETS - MAIN BLACK BRACKETS AS WELL AS SPEAKER SUPPORT BRACKETS - 3 SPEAKER BRKTS - 2 SETS OF MAIN SUPPORT BRKTS. IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND - VERY FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT. OH ALSO CLUNK NOISE IN STEERING HEAD AFTER BRNG ADJUSTMENT BY DEALER - TOLD THEY HAD TO INSTALL SHIM STOCK BETWEEN UPPER TRIPPLE CLAMP AND BEARING LOCK NUT. Has any one else had these any of these problems. The dealer is clueless. So here I am looking for info. It is to the point I am going to lemon law this bike.  Thanks for any help..

The clunk would be a big problem, maybe dangerous if the bearings are loose. Can you push on the bars back and forth with both hands and get any movement? Because the vibrations only happens at certain speeds, not RPM, I'd say it's suspension, wheels or tires. The head adjustment would be the first thing I'd get fixed, shouldn't be a clunk, I'd make them fix that! Have them balance the tires, and check alignment betweek the front and back wheels.  Might be a bad tire, someone on this site talked about a viberation that went away then they changed the tires out, keep on the dealers a$$ while it's under warranty, and if you have a different dealer near you, might try going somewhere else and get a different opinion.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.