Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike Storage / HD Bubble/ Zip Lock bag w/ Dessicant or move to AZ  (Read 1363 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
Bike Storage / HD Bubble/ Zip Lock bag w/ Dessicant or move to AZ
« on: September 11, 2007, 07:27:28 PM »

Well as the riding season will be coming to a end here in Chicago I was wondering if that HD Storage Bubble worked pretty well?

My garage is fine for storing a bike during the freezing winter but when the Spring hits the floor sweats. In the past with some of my Vintage Bikes I have used a whopper bag that came with 5lbs of dessicant. I can not remember the name of the company who sell it right now.

The problem is walking a bike into the huge bag as you walking on slippery plastic and the space for you to move around is limited. Plus once the bike is in there you tie the end of a bad with a rope. So once the bike is in it is hard to remove to go out for a day if the weather is nice would be a major pain.

Another major pain is that you must drain all the fuel prior to putting the bike in the bag as the dessicant would suck it all up.

Its just too much of a pain to be dancing around inside of a bag with a SERK.

So I have been looking around for somthing else to use. I did see a bag that had a actuall zipper on the side which would make it real easy for you to put the bike in. Now the problem is the bikes gas!

Would anyone think if I just purchased a non-vented gas cap ( my bike has the Kurkakyn recessed gas cap so I think I can get a non-vented one for the bike) Would you think that would be sufficent  to keep the gas from being sucked up by the dessicant? After with the fuel pump off noting should be coming out.

My next choise would be the HD storage Bubble. I have always liked the design but was wondering if the thing zipped for ease of putting the bike in? Also I see that HD sells a filter for the blower motor, what type of filter is that? And how often would it need to be replaced.

TIA,
John
JR

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Bike Storage / HD Bubble/ Zip Lock bag w/ Dessicant or move to AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:08:12 PM »

John,
I know this not exactly what you are talking about it is an interesting way to store a bike: http://www.thebikebarn.net/tourermodel.html . john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:17:23 PM »

It looks like a glorified dust cover.  it doesn't seal at the bottom and therefore will not prevent any condensation.  I've got two options, keeping it in my shed with a wooden floor to have ready access or take it to my Father's hillside ranch with a basement garage.  Pop's 50 miles away.  I'd rather keep it local.  Either way, I'll cover it with a the dust cover and maybe place dessicant bags on the floorboards.
Jim
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »

John,

The H-D bubble does zip all the way around except for the very front where the fan motor is and the filters are foam rubber.  I just washed mine, let it dry and put it back on.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '11 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: '02 FLSTSI
    • CVO3: '05 ROAD ROD
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »

John,

I've had a Harley bubble for about 5 years now, and I think they work quite well. The filtered air keeps dust and moisture off the bike, and we've got a fair share of moisture that comes off the concrete here in Ohio. I also like the Bubble as it keeps my kids away from the bike and it "shields" the bike from stray objects. It's easy to remove the bike for those occasional rides also. My power supply went bad two years ago and I replaced it with a new unit from Radio Shack. Other than that, it appears that the Bubble is still in excellent shape for many years of service.

Joe

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:04:33 PM »

Last week I ordered the Harley Bubble to help with my mysterious chrome pitting issue.  I also bought some boxes of dessicant that will be inside the bubble as well. 

Looking forward to the bubble...  How does the bubble work?  I presume you park the bike on the mat (use jiffy stand coaster to prevent tearing) and zip the bubble on the base and inflate?

I guess I will find out this week when it arrives.
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

twincam

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:46:17 PM »

John,
     move to AZ!!! ;D

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:16:52 AM »

Last week I ordered the Harley Bubble to help with my mysterious chrome pitting issue.  I also bought some boxes of dessicant that will be inside the bubble as well. 

Looking forward to the bubble...  How does the bubble work?  I presume you park the bike on the mat (use jiffy stand coaster to prevent tearing) and zip the bubble on the base and inflate?

I guess I will find out this week when it arrives.

You've got it, that's exactly what you do.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 07:51:24 AM »

I keep my Oldster in one, I like the fact that it keeps things "away" slightly...

Miker

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 25 queries.