Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H.I.D. HEADLIGHTS  (Read 2063 times)

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
H.I.D. HEADLIGHTS
« on: April 06, 2005, 08:28:10 PM »

I WAS HOPING TO SEE IF ANY ONE COULD " SHED A LITTLE LITE "  [smiley=bulb2.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] ON THE HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE LIGHTING SYSTEMS ...... IS THERE JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS EXPENSIVE MODIFICATION ?????

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
Re: H.I.D. HEADLIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 11:18:27 PM »

Im certainly not an expert but when you look at a $500 +- price for HID [smiley=shocked2.gif]..
Then check Silverstar bulbs which are a plug in and a whiter light and a lot brighter, that seems the way to go for me. There is another thread on this..do a search on "Silverstar" for 90 days and you should find it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 11:19:01 PM by tonys »

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:54:19 PM »

High Intensity Discharge(HID) is an arc lamp in which the bulb is a quartz glass tube filled with xenon gas and metallic salts with two electrodes inside, separated by a gap. When the arc jumps, it produces light.

This lighting system requires high voltage to cause the arc to jump (like a spark plug arc jumps). The ballast to the right of the lamp transforms 12V on your bike to 20,000V to the lamp. The black box to the left of the lamp is the control relay, required to make the HID bulb stay on continuously as the low beam. The 35W H11 bulb turns on for high beam and is primarily used to signal, or flash, on coming traffic. The HID bulb draws less current, only 35W, yet produces over ten times the luminosity. That's about 2,500,000 Candle power compared to approximately 24,000 candle power on your stock lamp.

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 01:53:47 AM »

I WAS HOPING TO SEE IF ANY ONE COULD " SHED A LITTLE LITE "
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 02:45:43 PM by yellowsedeuce »

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »

I saw a demo of the new Sylvania Osram Xe7 HID system at the V-Twin Expo in Cinci.  Very impressive.  They have developed a mini balast that will fit most 7" headlight housings.  The price is also coming down somewhat.  Here is the site:

http://www.xesighting.com/
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 12:47:41 PM »

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 12:49:05 PM by kng103 »

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

mfgreen

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:42:24 PM »

you know alot of chit bro.
you should be a moderator on this forum!!
just don't delete my posts [smiley=laugh.gif]

Before your time on this site I was asked to do that and was honored to do that, as I would be honored again.  Being a moderator on this site is not easy and judgement calls have to be made.  Retrospectively, it is difficult to moderate this site if people are clowning when you are serious about getting a point across in a specific thread.  We should all modrate our own posts as to relevance to topic or appropriate words or subject.  To favor one person's posts for non-deletion over another's is nothing that anyone is able to promise.  I was wrong for deleting my posts from the site.  I was out to prove a point that deletions can and will screw things up. The trains of thought get lost.  This makes reading uncomfortable.  Locking a topic reserves the rights of the members to read and re-think what was going on after the heat of the moment has died down.  Then a more level headed discussion can and should resume.   I do not have a restore button or I would use it in this case.  I made a wrong choice.

Mike

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 01:47:09 PM »

Before your time on this site I was asked to do that and was honored to do that, as I would be honored again.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:45:50 PM »

DAMN GUYS ... THANKS 4 ALL THE INFO .... [smiley=1syellow1.gif] A WHILE AGO I HAD INSTALLED SOME AFTERMARKET BULBS THAT WERE MORE POWERFUL THAN STOCK .... THE END RESULT WAS  MELTED  LENSES  .... I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT H.I.D. LITES ARE COOLER TEMPWISE , EVEN COOLER THAN STOCK .... HAS ANYONE HAD 1ST HAND OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS INSTALLED A H.I.D  KIT ON THEIR BIKE ?   [smiley=bulb2.gif] . THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE RESPONSES ......

mfgreen

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 10:47:34 PM »

you are correct about the cooler.  The illumination is worth it for "night moves".

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.