Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roller Rockers: TP Eng. compared to S&S  (Read 7897 times)

deputydawg

Roller Rockers: TP Eng. compared to S&S
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »

Any thoughts out there on these 2 different Rockers. I know S&S has a great name and following, but are the the TP ones comparable. They are not as pricey and seem like they will fill the bill. Thanks, Mark. :coolblue:
It's OK, we're just trying to have fun!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Roller Rockers: TP Eng. compared to S&S
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »

I know the TP one have a full length bushing, several members here bought them recently on Ebay for $175.  Not familiar with S&S.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »

Outside of that blowout deal on eBay the TP rockers generally sell from the vendors for about $100 less than the S&S or Jim's rockers.  That still doesn't make them inexpensive as the price for them is still commonly well over $300.00 for the four rocker arms.

deputydawg

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »

OK, thank you. It doesn't seem like there are any well known complaints about these, so I guess I will go with the TP ones. Thanks again, Mark :coolblue:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:47:08 PM »

We have gone to the S&S only after having several sets of tp, jims, and ultima's fail. The ultimas, TP went soft in the pushrod pocket causing damage to the pushrods and lifters after it beat the valve train up. The S&S is a true forged unit and thus far no failures. Now I will say tp did resend only the rocker that was bad to be replaced ( after 4 weeks, we had already replace the entire set) they would not send a complete set. As for the damaged parts due to the rocker failure we are on our own there. I am not aware of a company that will cover other parts. so the little savings on the TP units, and JIms, and Ultimas was no savings at all when parts broke, went soft, or spit the roller off the end of the rocker.

I still have a set of the tps that failed on another bike that I never did anything with. I will see about getting a picture posted when I get a spare moment.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

deputydawg

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 02:10:56 AM »

Bummer. That doesn't sound good at all. I should have known...you get what you pay for, or the oldy but a goody... Pay me now or Pay me later. Darn, that's a bad Dawg Deal. Thanks again GMR. Mark :coolblue:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 03:34:57 AM »

Bummer. That doesn't sound good at all. I should have known...you get what you pay for, or the oldy but a goody... Pay me now or Pay me later. Darn, that's a bad Dawg Deal. Thanks again GMR. Mark :coolblue:

DD, I hate these times when the layman can only scratch himself and wonder.  GMR's experience seems poor.  An aquaintance of mine is a shop owner in Tulsa whom I also spoke with about these.  He said he's used a half dozen or so sets a month for about a year and a half with no greater or lesser rate of problem than anything else.  He did stress that he doesn't use them in extreme lift applications with extreme spring rates.  But he uses nothing else there either as he very very rarely builds those kinds of engines.

So...  well.. who knows what we know?  I often sure as hell don't seem to know what I thought I know.  I do know, however, that rocker arms in hand; I guess I'll find out how they do.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:28:19 AM »

We have gone to the S&S only after having several sets of tp, jims, and ultima's fail. The ultimas, TP went soft in the pushrod pocket causing damage to the pushrods and lifters after it beat the valve train up. The S&S is a true forged unit and thus far no failures. Now I will say tp did resend only the rocker that was bad to be replaced ( after 4 weeks, we had already replace the entire set) they would not send a complete set. As for the damaged parts due to the rocker failure we are on our own there. I am not aware of a company that will cover other parts. so the little savings on the TP units, and JIms, and Ultimas was no savings at all when parts broke, went soft, or spit the roller off the end of the rocker.

I still have a set of the tps that failed on another bike that I never did anything with. I will see about getting a picture posted when I get a spare moment.

Hey Steve, how do the SE Roller Rockers compare to the S&S Roller Rockers? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 08:56:40 AM »

First off let me say that I do not go out , and decide that today I will give a product a poor quality rating.  Being that we do sell many roller rockers in the course of a year. How many ,.. I would say that in a year we sell 150-175 sets. SO we would see more issues with a certain product than the next shops that uses' or sells 15 sets in a year.  Some are sold as a rocker kit only and others are in our performance package kits. Most are sold in kits. So I know what lift cams, valve spring seat pressures, etc.

Being that we are a shop and after installing some of these other brands and having to replace them for free. We may have become a bit gun shy, for a very valid reason. The SE units are made by Jim's, we have seen cracking in those, the pushrod socket area being soft came from , ultima, and tp. Now these two products when in hand look like the same style casting, there are small changes in the bushings but casting wise they look like the same place is making them. I have heard both ways yes and no. In the end it does not matter, if the part is failing then it is time to make sure we no longer sell it.

And we are not the only ones that have had issues with other brands. As I made some calls when I had failures, and you get a answer like" yes we have seen that on several sets. TP will replace that bad unit"   I have to say again they did take care of a few issues. Now Ultima refused to replace them at all. basic statement used part no warranty.  Yea I know, does not make any sense. What can you do. The S&S forged unit is a very nice rocker and in most cases does not require much if any rocker box lid clearancing, so that is a plus.

On a side not any time you are working with the valve train and you have the rocker support plates off. Do a quick end play check on the rocker to plate. Have been seeing a few plates on the new models that are a bit too large. That is a great way to have a ticky valve train.  Hope everyone has a great day.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »

First off let me say that I do not go out , and decide that today I will give a product a poor quality rating.  Being that we do sell many roller rockers in the course of a year. How many ,.. I would say that in a year we sell 150-175 sets. SO we would see more issues with a certain product than the next shops that uses' or sells 15 sets in a year. 

Steve, you don't need to defend yourself.  You weren't being accused of anything.  You shared your experience.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Another shop was known of that had use 150 sets or so in approx 18 months.  Their experience was shared too.  Nothing more and nothing less.  The only point was none of it was gospel.  So unless you're concerned that your incident history was not accepted as gospel there was nothing to defend yourself for.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »

I did not think that I had to defend myself more saying that I am just being open and honest, about what I have seen myself. My intent was not to make a statment trying to defend, more so only to explain my statement. Funny how if you where to hear me tell you it verses typing it how it can be mis read  HA HA .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »

I did not think that I had to defend myself more saying that I am just being open and honest, about what I have seen myself. My intent was not to make a statment trying to defend, more so only to explain my statement. Funny how if you where to hear me tell you it verses typing it how it can be mis read  HA HA .

That is totally true.  Most of us recognize that we lose a lot of nuance in totally written "conversation."  That's why it's easier to always just keep talking and not worry over the perceptions too much.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.