Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR4 Risers  (Read 2121 times)

FXR4NUT

FXR4 Risers
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »

Just sold my 1992 FXRS and bought myself a mint "stock" screaming yellow FXR4.
I find the riser a bit high on the top tree compared to my 1992.
Would anyone know if it can be shortened?  Are there any other options bearing in mind the wiring which has to go through the riser?

RedFXR2

Re: FXR4 Risers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »

I'm not sure there is a good, clean way to shorten the existing risers--if I follow your question.  The risers themselves aren't the problem but the cover is.  You could replace the risers with seperate, shorter ones, but you'd lose the cover that makes them appear to be one-piece.  And losing the cover would expose your wiring.  This might not be a problem to you--your choice.

Is the handlebar height is the ultimate issue?  Could it be that your bars have been changed?  I ask because if anything, most of the FXR4 guys I've talked to comment on the low, flat drag bars and some have changed out their handlebars for a more upright riding position.

FXR4NUT

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

RedFXR2

The info is quite valuable to me. Thanks a bunch.

Looking at schematic pop up, I realize that the cover could always be cut to fit shorter risers if I were to change the stock riasee for 1 1/2 - 2 " ones.

The stock risers look  pretty much the same as other HD risers. Don't you think?

See the pic of  my FXR4 attached. The former owner had replaced the drag bars with "low-rise" type bars because he complained that drags bars gave him back pain...

I'm sure going to switch back to drag bars. I'm not sure about using the stock HD drag bars; I know that Flanders makes nice 18 degree- 4 inch pullback- 27 inch wide drag bars. I may go for that.

Thanks once more buddy!

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »

If you're going to change handlebars and/or risers then there are a whole bunch to choose from, both HD and aftermarket.  Check this thread down the page a bit--there are some photos of other FXR's with integrated bars/risers.  And Carlini makes a nice product as well.  Or you c ould just go to HD.  If one of the other CVO FXR's has a handlebar combination that suits you, then that would likely be a simple swap out (no cable, handles, grip changes).  The FXR2 and 3 use the same handlebars as each other but different risers.  I'm not sure if the FXR4 has any idiot lights on top of the riser clamp or not--looks like it does--you may need to think about that when making the change, because that may involve a housing and clamp for a certain diameter of bar.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12567.0

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:48:33 AM by RedFXR2 »

FXR4NUT

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »

Thanks again for the info RedFXR2

To answer your question: yes the top riser clamp has "idiot lights". Besides that, the riser clamp looks standard and could fit on top of any other HD risers, long or short. Maybe I'm mistaking but I'll check it out to make sure.

If so, I could replace the two risers with shorter ones, get rid of the front and back plates and arrange to have the wiring hidden or covered with a balck rubber skirt or something similar. What do you think?

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »

I had to go take a look at my bike to make sure how the wires are done.  Mine has a cluster of idiot lights on the top of the bars.  I have three groups of wires, one each from the bar ends L and R, and one from the idiot light cluster, all grouping together and goiing inn front of the top triple tree  and down from there.  Each group of wires is contained in a larger black plastic conduit hose and tie-wrapped to the others.  To be honest, I've never given concealing this a second thought.

I'm sure you could conceal the wires in the bars--not sure what all that would entail in terms of parts or labor, and I'm sure the idiot light wires could be handled as well.  I would guess that would necessitate the use of hollow risers to provide a concealed route.

I would guess that your wiring looks much like mine behind that riser cover.  It's up to you to decide how much you want to conceal that.  You might take the riser cover off and leave it off for a while to see if it bothers you or not. 

FXR4NUT

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 01:28:33 PM »

Good point RedFXR2.
My 1992 FXRS had the cap over the healight with the idiot lights in them (similar to earlier Sportsers. The wires from that cap ran underneath the top tree through the forks and joined the other L and R wiring along the frame. I had all the freedom to change risers and bars since nothing was in the way.

I would prefer to leave the top riser clamp the way it is and simply put the idiot lights wiring with the L and R wiring into a single plastic conduit hose as you mentioned and run that through the top tree (or behing it) along the neck and underneath the gas tank.

I'm not too concerned about running the L & R and cluster wiring through the bars.

In your second paragraph you refer to "hollow" risers - I'm not sure I get it- I understand the L & R wires would meet at the mid section of the handlebars (whether or not they are internally wired) and go down between the two individual risers-
Isn't that so?

Hey! thanks a bunch once more for that additional info bro; it's highly appreciated.

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »

In your second paragraph you refer to "hollow" risers - I'm not sure I get it- I understand the L & R wires would meet at the mid section of the handlebars (whether or not they are internally wired) and go down between the two individual risers-
Isn't that so?

Yes, that's the way mine are now.  I was just speculating that somewhere in the aftermarket catalogs there might be some hollow risers that would serve as a conduit for the wiring from the light console, and even the handlebar controls.  I don't kow this, it was just an idea as to how wiring could be concealed all the way past the handlebars to the triple trees.  Might only exist in my imagination--who knows?   

FXR4NUT

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:09:56 AM »

Hi RedFXR2
No it's not your imagination bud- they do exist.  I think they are 1 1/4" wide ( for 1 1/4 handlebars) and hollow, like you said, to allow wiring to go through. They can be found in Custom Chrome, J&P Cycles or Drag Specialties catalogs.

If it becomes too complicated, I'll just stick with the current risers and put drag bars back on them. I thought of a set of Flanders but looking at the OEM description for HD drag bars for Sportsters and FXRs, they have the same configuration (27" wide- 4" pullback) and are a lot cheaper!

Have a good one!

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.