Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: iski's 50CC Ride  (Read 1921 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
iski's 50CC Ride
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:50:03 AM »

A couple of riding buddies (Jack - riding a 1998 Road King 95cc &  Red - riding a  2007 Ultra) and I - 2007 SEULTRA went on a little ride a week ago - a 50CC Ride.  What's a 50CC ride?  Coast to Coast (CC) in 50 hours or less.  Why would anybody do that?  Best answer is because we wanted to, and it sounded like fun.  It was.  Will not bore everyone with the hour by hour details - just some of the highlights, and a few pics.

Traveled from Jacksonville, FL (Neptune Beach) to San Diego, CA in 46 hours, 58 minutes.  Miles traveled - 2,405.  Route taken was basically I-10 West using the I-12 shortcut in LA, and the I-8 where it splits from I-10 to go to San Diego.  Weather was good, except when we left Tallahassee for Jax, it was raining in Jax.  When we left Jax that Sat. morning for points west, it rained for about an hour.  Other than that, weather was very good. A little windy crossing the last set of mountains in Cali, but that was expected.

We rode 20 hours from Jax to Junction, TX (west of San Antonio) and took a 6 hour break that included a 4 hour nap.  Then we rode the next 21 hours to San Diego.  Jack's bike had a small oil leak and we discovered it about 100 miles out or we would have been there an hour sooner.  We had been traveling 70-80 mph (speed limit in Texas is 80 in parts and 75 for NM & AZ). Slowed to about 65 and it took us awhile to assess whether or not his bike could make it. It did.  Not much celebrating when we arrived - got motel rooms and crashed for about 9 hours.

We took Jack's bike in for evaluation and San Diego HD did an oil change and away we went.  Took 78 East and ended up in Borrega Springs, CA for a Twilight Zone style afternoon.  Jack's bike needed gas about every 120 miles and we were in the middle of a desert - nobody around.  A white Ultra pulls up, says to turn north to Borrega Springs for gas.  We did - had a beer there even.  Thought the guy was stopping with us but he went on.  Kinda surreal, and we were tired.  Rode to Blythe, CA and the next morning Jack decided to take the quickest way home.  BTW, he has a website for Long Distance Rider Certification - http://www.longdistanceriders.net/.  I have an app. in to the folks at Ironbutt for the 50CC cert. as well. 

Red & I continued on to the Grand Canyon. Had a beer (Warsteiner) at the El Tovar Hotel and got our pictures & our bikes pictures taken a few hundred times by a variety of tourists.  We were the only Harleys there & were the featured attraction, other than the big hole in the ground. Tough to leave, so we got a room a little south of the GC.  33 degrees the next morning for our ride to Amarillo.  Next day we rode to Lake Charles, LA.  Friday, we rode home.  Gone a week - 5,300 miles and change.  Heckuva lotta fun!!!!!! :2vrolijk_21:

My Jester had no serious problems, with the exception of needing octane boost due to 90 octane gas out west instead of 93 I assume.  Had 2 minor problems - neutral light went out 2 days from home and 100 miles from home the tour pack lid would not open.  Stopped at Capitol City HD - they could not pick the pack open, so Bob, the Service manager okayed Jamie to Sawzall the darned thing (after hours!), so I could get my stuff.  Basically, the catch would not move, even after it was opened.  New LED assembly (green LED burned out) & a new tour pack are on the way.  Motor ran great!  :2vrolijk_21: ;D

Me, Red, and Jack in JAX at the beach

Sand & water sample from the Atlantic Ocean (traditional for the ride)

Me at the Mexican border - photo op side trip south of El Paso

At the beach in San Diego - La Jolla

Pacific Ocean sand & water sample

Happy riders at San Diego HD

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:07:00 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: iski's 50CC Ride
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »

Some pics of the trip home:

Grand Canyon

GC

GC

Big Hole in Ground

Red & me standing next to very large hole

Red & tourists taking pics of bikes @ El Tovar - GC

More tourists - more pics.  Lots of FUN Italians!

Jester with flag in background

Red & I enjoying a frosty cold beverage at the El Tovar (hotel from the "Vacation" movie)

Grand Canyon HD

Okie ride photo op

Great to be back in Texas!

Home again - bike was covered in bugs on bugs which were on top of more bugs......

Water & sand samples new home

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »

WOW! That's hardcore and motivated! Great job with the pics and by the looks of your smiles a great time was had by all! Congrats and my butt hurts thinking about coast to coast in 50 hours or less!  :P
I like shiny stuff!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:16:55 AM »

What a ride. Thanks for sharing the pics and report. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »

WOW! That's hardcore and motivated! Great job with the pics and by the looks of your smiles a great time was had by all! Congrats and my butt hurts thinking about coast to coast in 50 hours or less!  :P

Thanks.  We want to do the trip again but take more time to stop and.......not smell the roses - drink the beer!  :drink:

We had a GREAT time and Red & I are talking about a possible border to border ride (Mexico to Canada) but nothing is planned yet.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

What a ride. Thanks for sharing the pics and report. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Something I have been wanting to do for a very long time - ride coast to coast.  Originally did not plan to do it in 47 hours, but it got us there quick.  Wish I could have made the Maggie Valley event also though.  So many rides, so little time......

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:30:43 PM »

Wow, what a ride, you guys averaged around 47 MPH!  :2vrolijk_21:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »

Wow, what a ride, you guys averaged around 47 MPH!  :2vrolijk_21:

It was! I figured the trip out at approx. 51 mph average (2405 miles / 47 hours =  51 mph).  Moving forward was what we were about for 2 days straight.  We averaged a little less than 60 mph if we took the rest stop at Junction, TX out.  Jack's bike could only go 120 miles or so between gas stops - we had 22 gas stops total counting the first (to date/time stamp our start) & last (date/time stamp our finish).  Red & I averaged 150 miles between gas stops on the way back and around 62 -65 mph or so except for the overnight breaks.  Our goal was to average 60 mph on the way out, for a 46 hour completion time.  The 'almost breakdown' slowed that a bit.

Only thing that really bothered me was my hands - there were a little sore the day I got back.  Have great gloves with the gel palm - figure it was just fatigue.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »

Meant to put this in earlier and forgot:

Jack's website http://www.longdistanceriders.net/ will certify rides of 500 miles, 1,000 miles, 1,500 miles, and the 50CC rides.   Quite a bit of interest in the 500 mile cert. (500 in 12 hours).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:11:23 PM by iski »

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.