Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S ANNOUNCES NEW ENGINES AND FRAMES  (Read 1796 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
S&S ANNOUNCES NEW ENGINES AND FRAMES
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »

FYI Gang:

LA CROSSE, WI (October 02, 2007) S&S Cycle Inc. is pleased to announce that orders fro the new X-Wedge and P-Series engines are being taken right now.

The all-new S&S P-Series engine represents a trip back in time for styling with all of the modern reliability you have come to expect from an S&S Proven Performance engine. Available in 93ci, 93ci high compression and 103ci high compression versions, the P-Series is not a reproduction engine, but rather a modern version of the classic engine. Updated oiling, valve train and case design negate all of the issues of the past and allow for cross country reliability in their place. The P-Series will be available in generator and alternator/generator designs to fit your classic or custom build. Orders placed now will begin shipping within seven days of this announcement. The P-Series 93ci Alternator/Generator P/N 106-0821 will have an MSRP of $8195.00

Also new and available on November 1, 2007 is the much anticipated X-Wedge. This 56-degree, three cam air-cooled v-twin is the platform that will take the industry into the future. S&S Product Development team members started with a clean sheet to design the air-cooled, pushrod v-twin of the future and brought the X-Wedge to life. With S&S VFI (variable Fuel Injection), full skirt pistons, five-bolt cylinders and heads, a plain bearing bottom end with side-by-side rods, the X-Wedge is nothing like past 45-degree engines—yet it has the sound and feel of familiarity to it. A massive one-piece crank assembly keeps vibration low and helps deliver tremendous torque at very low rpm for smooth operation. X-Wedge engines delivered now will not be EPA compliant, but those produced after 1-1-2008 will carry EPA certification. The 117ci x-Wedge in silver or black (P/N 31-8061 or 31-8060) powdercoated finish will carry an MSRP of $9590.00 and the polished version P/N 31-8062 has an MSRP of $10,590.00

"There has been a great deal of press regarding the X-Wedge and now the official release date is finally upon us,” said S&S president, Brett Smith.  “The release of the X-Wedge, X-Wedge compatible frames from S&S and Rolling Thunder, and the P-series engine should make the next few months quite exciting.  It is our hope that these new products will create momentum for us and the custom-performance v-twin industry as we head into our 50th Celebration."

Since the X-Wedge is an all-new design, it will require a frame specific to the more robust case design it features. Two new frames are available, one from S&S and another from Rolling Thunder. The S&S ST frame (P/N 106-0281 MSRP $3095.00) includes the oil tank, weld-on gas tank mounts and features 30 degrees of rake, 2-inches of stretch and room for a 200mm rear tire. The Rolling Thunder frame (P/N 106-0811 MSRP $3390.00) includes the oil tank and weld-on brake caliper tabs. This chassis has 34-degrees of rake and two-inch stretch and accommodates a 20mm rear tire. The Rolling Thunder frame is in stock right now and the S&S frame will be available at the beginning of 2008.

“This will truly be a landmark year for S&S; with the full deployment of the X-Wedge, success at the NHRA, the P-Series engine and a chassis offering for the new XW engine—not to mention celebrating the S&S 50th anniversary!” said Michael Scaletta Director of Business Development.  Scaletta continued, “I am also very pleased with the progress of several OEM’s that will debut the new X-Wedge engine this fall.”

Information about the new P-Series and X-Wedge engines, along with the frames will be available at your local S&S dealer or on the S&S website at www.sscycle.com .

S&S Cycle has been a leading manufacturer of Proven Performance v-twin motorcycle components and engines for nearly 50 years. George Smith and Stanley Stankos founded the company in 1958 in Blue Island, Illinois. Shortly after the founding of S&S, George, and his wife Marjorie (whose maiden name was also Smith), bought out Stanley Stankos and Smith & Stankos became Smith & Smith (S&S). In 1969, S&S moved from Blue Island to Viola, Wisconsin and expanded to La Crosse, Wisconsin in 2004. This 3rd generation business supplies components and/or engines to several large custom OEs including: American Ironhorse, APC, Arlen Ness, Big Bear Choppers, Big Dog, Bourget Bike Works, Orange County Choppers, Saxon, Swift, & Victory (please see the S&S website for a complete listing located at www.sscycle.com

The pics of this stuff are a .bmp file, so I can't attach them. They are on the S&S website.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: S&S ANNOUNCES NEW ENGINES AND FRAMES
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »

Howie, just look at the image then right-click to get to properties and then copy that link into the img tags onthe site.

:indian_chief:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »

I didn't get this from their site. I'm on their miling list. I can't do that from the email I got it from. Feel free to post the frames and Panhead too. I'm going to break my motor in some more! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »

did he just say "I'm going to break my motor"  :o
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »

Oh no!   :stop:  Please No!   :vrolijk27:

I personally couldn't take it!   :zHole: :alcohol:

I have every belief that Howie's bike is not going to cause him anymore problems.  :2vrolijk_20: :biggthumpup:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »

If the new X motor gains any sort of popularity at all, and if there is physically room at all, I'd have to believe that someone will develop a retrofit mount kit to put it on a Twin Cam mount.  Otherwise the only place it could ever get used is on a "custom build."  Those are getting so hard to do in so many states that there'll be tremendous difficulty getting enough builds to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

Of course S&S knows that to begin with.  So if a retrofit were really possible they'd likely have released that mounting kit concurrent with the motor.  So it's probably not going to be made to fit.  So....  one less thing to have to worry about playing with.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »

If the new X motor gains any sort of popularity at all, and if there is physically room at all, I'd have to believe that someone will develop a retrofit mount kit to put it on a Twin Cam mount.  Otherwise the only place it could ever get used is on a "custom build."  Those are getting so hard to do in so many states that there'll be tremendous difficulty getting enough builds to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

Of course S&S knows that to begin with.  So if a retrofit were really possible they'd likely have released that mounting kit concurrent with the motor.  So it's probably not going to be made to fit.  So....  one less thing to have to worry about playing with.
Will somebody put out an "APB" for my brother from another mother. I know this isn't him... can't be him.... My brotha wouldn't be saying something like this. Especially since he retrofitted an '06 radio, and '07 power locks in his '05. :D

Can somebody please return my brotha Don to us.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »

IN! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 02:48:38 AM »

Will somebody put out an "APB" for my brother from another mother. I know this isn't him... can't be him.... My brotha wouldn't be saying something like this. Especially since he retrofitted an '06 radio, and '07 power locks in his '05. :D

Can somebody please return my brotha Don to us.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gary Gary Gary, we're talking retrofit to the masses here.  Not what someone with a six pack, a gas torch, a mig welder and a BFH might accomplish :-* .

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 06:16:29 AM »

You guys are too funny....

Seriously though, Twolane, I'd love to see some pix of the retrofit when you're done...  This might be the cure for all the 110 engine problems--and cheaper too...

Pbody...
2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 06:28:18 AM »

You guys are too funny....

Seriously though, Twolane, I'd love to see some pix of the retrofit when you're done...  This might be the cure for all the 110 engine problems--and cheaper too...

Pbody...

I would just love to see Don's write up for the install on that one.

Roy....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

Can't really tell from the story or pics, but I've got to believe that wider V angle will put the kaybosh to any type of easy retrofit.  At the very least, I'm guessing a fairly major modification to the frame backbone along with new mounts.  Break out the torch.

I think the intended market for the X-Wedge is the various medium sized builders of semi-custom factory bikes, like Big Dog.  I believe the tiny builders can still get exemptions from the EPA, but the medium and larger folks have to meet emissions standards just like the big boys. From just what I've read so far, I like many of the changes S&S came up with.  I really like the one piece forged crank and the automotive style rocker arms. 

BTW - I'm with the 'd00d on this.  If I remember correctly, a certain gentleman on this site made similar comments about the lack of "retrofitability" with other components, only to have those same items show up on his SEEG.  We will probably be reading a full series of posts sometime next spring, complete with detailed photos, about stuffing an X-Wedge into a SEEG. ::)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »

BTW - I'm with the 'd00d on this.  If I remember correctly, a certain gentleman on this site made similar comments about the lack of "retrofitability" with other components, only to have those same items show up on his SEEG.  We will probably be reading a full series of posts sometime next spring, complete with detailed photos, about stuffing an X-Wedge into a SEEG. ::)

Jerry

Jerry, I also took special notice of the crank, rockers and rod assemblies on this.  S&S has had some QC issues with machining on their V-Twin 124s but this is a motor I'll be interested in reading about when it hits the street in any numbers.  As for retrofit.... well....  I suppose if the site membership wanted to chip and get a motor I'd try to make it fit ::) .

Truth is of course that everyone realizes a purpose built frame is required for this.  Can't help but be taken by the fact that the engine and frame combinations described in their press release cost as much or ore than most complete bikes.  Someone would have to be really interested in playing with this to start out there.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »

Big Bear Choppers will be releasing a new bagger model with the X Wedge motor called "GTX". You can see more about it here - Grand Touring X-Wedge.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 21 queries.