Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Break down: California 101 North...  (Read 5430 times)

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
Re: Break down: California 101 North...
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »

Hey, do you think my SE FatBoy's push rods are upset because I purchased a brand new 08' SE RoadKing?

Thanks Again,

Kona76
Mike K.

Hey mike when did that happen?
Ridin Legend

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 07:46:54 AM »

Yes, that is bad news and great news all at the same time.  Glad to hear about the new bike and sad to hear about the engine troubles on your Fat Boy.
I haven't been to the site in a while and just found out this morning.

Take care,
Dave
Love my '05

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »

Hey mike when did that happen?

Altugo,

Last Saturday, Sept 29th, 2007.

Best Wishes My Friend.

Mike K.
Kona 76
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:28:37 PM by kona76 »
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »

UPDATE...

OK. I am back at home in Southern California, but without my SE FatBoy !!

The exhaust valve was bent so bad that they had to take it to a machine shop. When the 7 day estimate of time elapsed, I got over being butt hurt, hitched a ride to San Jose and flew home. The HD dealers' shop lead mechanic and builder said that it would be ready by next Tuesday, the 9th of October.

So far, the parts are totaling close to $1,000.00. The labor is unknown at this time, but figure, oh....$alot more money.00. The total amount for this bent push rod and toxic oil spill........$ Priceless.

Then, in the next few days, I fly back to San Jose, get a ride 55 miles south to Salinas, CA and hope to see a complete bike ready to go. I really hope I can make it (the 247 miles) home.

I am not sure if I have to have a break in period for the replacement parts or not.

Push rods, seating, valve, valve springs, SE roller rocker arms, Mobile 1 syn oil, gaskets, ,...what a nightmare.

And for everyones information: the town of Salinas is historically significant. However, the entire area is very boring, without my ride to boost out of there of course.

My advice, avoid blowing out a pushrod at 85 miles an hour and if you get stuck 14 miles South of Salinas, CA. BYOB and bring your own entertainment or you will lose your mind to shear apathy.

Mike K.
Kona76
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:29:13 PM by kona76 »
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 10:39:19 PM »

Kona 76---If You need a pick-up at at SJ airport and a ride to  hd shop let me know. I,d need to know time,date in advance... I,m out of town 10/13--10/22  -Send me a pm If you need a hand-------AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

deucedog

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »

Kona 76---If You need a pick-up at at SJ airport and a ride to  hd shop let me know. I,d need to know time,date in advance... I,m out of town 10/13--10/22  -Send me a pm If you need a hand-------AK

This is the kind of post that separates this forum above all others.  You sir are a fine gentleman to offer a another rider the assistance.  Thank you.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 03:20:49 AM »

AK

Thank you for your kind offer.

I am a former resident of the Bay Area, and have a few remaining contacts in the Fremont / San Jose area. I believe I am covered in this matter.

I do thank you (again) for the consideration.

Mike K.
Kona76

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 08:48:56 AM »

Hi Gents and Ladies who venture further into the SE FatBoy Threads.....

Today, Wednesday the 10th of October, I am supposed to pick up my assembled SEFB. We'll just wait for word from the Salinas HD Service dept., and hopefully by tomorrow I'll make it the 303.8 miles home with the newly installed parts.

Question: Will the HD dealer, who absolutely knows I've had the case cracked and beefed up my 103" to a performance engine producing far above the stock SEFB Horsepower & Torque,,, is he going to tell me what the cause of the breakdown is? Or, is he just trying to get me on back on the road and out of his hair?

Just for the record, The Monterey County Harley Davidson Service Department was courteous, friendly and informative; but as usual: EXPENSIVE.

To make matters worse, the valve was extremely bent; too much for the mechanics to remove it. The head got sent to a machine shop for the removal of the bent valve and to inspect the head for cracks. It doesn't get any better, does it?

See, the last sub total I got on parts alone was,,,ready??? $1,000.00. That's right, a $GRAND$ for parts. The replacement parts were almost all SE Stock parts !! With the exception of the SE Roller Rocker Arms, and that's HD Parts as well. So, do ya'all think I am going to get a fair shake at the Dealer's register?

On one hand, the performance shop who did the 103" build has CLOSED THEIR DOORS after 3 years of business. Lucky me, huh?
On the other hand, the stock parts or upgraded HD parts that failed (under stress conditions created by my desire and quest for 125hp/125Tq) are temporarily replaced with the same parts. Do I upgrade and prevent another breakdown?

Where would I get that done down here in the San Fernando Valley, CA? Will a third party performance guy enjoy working on another's proshop work? I have to figure this one out; quickly, me thinks.

It's anybody's game now that I have no aftermarket or service support for the newly upgraded 103". I only had 2500 miles after $9,000.00 plus in parts, labor and tuning.  :dunce: Anybody have a tissue? I just want to  :wall:

I just wish I had the hands on experience and knowledge to work this myself. And the right tools,  industry connections, sources for parts, helpful labor and a huge budget would be nice too. And a hydro scissor lift, and Aussie!!!, now that's  a Parts and Labor Connection with a capitol C!!

So, now what do I do? I know the owner of the former performance shop, have his cell phone, etc. Do I plead my case and see what he will do? Or do I just eat the repair bill, and just let go?

Ok, last glass of whine....I have an 08 SERK coming in 30 plus (or minus ) days on top of the expense of this repair/rescue job. I don't care what I am worth, that's close to $35,000.00; and that's before Christmas !!

I will post the final costs of the "Breakdown in California" later as I get the totals.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:56:37 AM by kona76 »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »

Boy, does that suck Hadji man...Hang in there, a little wind may make things easier to swallow.
Ride anew in good health and fer chrise sake keep the shiney side up.    ;)

Miker

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 10:41:33 AM »

Hi Gents and Ladies who venture further into the SE FatBoy Threads.....

Today, Wednesday the 10th of October, I am supposed to pick up my assembled SEFB. We'll just wait for word from the Salinas HD Service dept., and hopefully by tomorrow I'll make it the 303.8 miles home with the newly installed parts.

Question: Will the HD dealer, who absolutely knows I've had the case cracked and beefed up my 103" to a performance engine producing far above the stock SEFB Horsepower & Torque,,, is he going to tell me what the cause of the breakdown is? Or, is he just trying to get me on back on the road and out of his hair?

Just for the record, The Monterey County Harley Davidson Service Department was courteous, friendly and informative; but as usual: EXPENSIVE.

To make matters worse, the valve was extremely bent; too much for the mechanics to remove it. The head got sent to a machine shop for the removal of the bent valve and to inspect the head for cracks. It doesn't get any better, does it?

See, the last sub total I got on parts alone was,,,ready??? $1,000.00. That's right, a $GRAND$ for parts. The replacement parts were almost all SE Stock parts !! With the exception of the SE Roller Rocker Arms, and that's HD Parts as well. So, do ya'all think I am going to get a fair shake at the Dealer's register?

On one hand, the performance shop who did the 103" build has CLOSED THEIR DOORS after 3 years of business. Lucky me, huh?
On the other hand, the stock parts or upgraded HD parts that failed (under stress conditions created by my desire and quest for 125hp/125Tq) are temporarily replaced with the same parts. Do I upgrade and prevent another breakdown?

Where would I get that done down here in the San Fernando Valley, CA? Will a third party performance guy enjoy working on another's proshop work? I have to figure this one out; quickly, me thinks.

It's anybody's game now that I have no aftermarket or service support for the newly upgraded 103". I only had 2500 miles after $9,000.00 plus in parts, labor and tuning.  :dunce: Anybody have a tissue? I just want to  :wall:

I just wish I had the hands on experience and knowledge to work this myself. And the right tools,  industry connections, sources for parts, helpful labor and a huge budget would be nice too. And a hydro scissor lift, and Aussie!!!, now that's  a Parts and Labor Connection with a capitol C!!

So, now what do I do? I know the owner of the former performance shop, have his cell phone, etc. Do I plead my case and see what he will do? Or do I just eat the repair bill, and just let go?

Ok, last glass of whine....I have an 08 SERK coming in 30 plus (or minus ) days on top of the expense of this repair/rescue job. I don't care what I am worth, that's close to $35,000.00; and that's before Christmas !!

I will post the final costs of the "Breakdown in California" later as I get the totals.

I feel your pain man. Having just gone thru a similar experience after getting a 120HP top end overhaul, with parts from Fla, and local dealer installing under W.....ty, they screwed up the reassembly, now want to wash their hands of it because they can't recover the $$$ from HD. So they're done. Well, I'm done too. I got new cases and am having an entire engine built by 1 shop, for a single source of responsibility. I would not use 1 HD part in a high performance engine application. That junk will surely break! I learned I must be patient, wait for everything to be 100% correct, and have it all done at one place. Do not rush this back together or make any rash decisions. Find an excellent speed shop to work with, review your requirements and build with them, and let them do everything. I know you did that and your guy is now closed. But find another one to do the same with. Otherwise, you'll never get out of the middle of it. JMHO. Good luck man! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »

You could always have Jim (HD-Dude) do the work in Hayward...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 07:41:48 AM »

You could always have Jim (HD-Dude) do the work in Hayward...

ErnieZap,

Funny you should mention that. I have been debating to take the "repaired, replaced and installed" SE FatBoy up to RC Cycles for a going over just to make sure my 303.8 miles south isn't full of problems and continuous headaches.

You would think that while living in the Los Angeles area on and off for 35 years, I would have run into a performance/speed shop. Just for the volume of bikers here alone temps one to open a retail/service center.

Hayward is right there too cause I am a misplaced NILES, CA boy and my little girl whom I adore greatly is right in Fremont, CA.

It amazes me how small the biker community up north is in comparison while the shear numbers of riders South of Santa Barbara to the border are huge. AND I still can't get a recommendation for a shop here.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Kona76
Mike K.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 12:13:33 AM »

I feel your pain man. Having just gone thru a similar experience after getting a 120HP top end overhaul, with parts from Fla, and local dealer installing under W.....ty, they screwed up the reassembly, now want to wash their hands of it because they can't recover the $$$ from HD. So they're done. Well, I'm done too. I got new cases and am having an entire engine built by 1 shop, for a single source of responsibility. I would not use 1 HD part in a high performance engine application. That junk will surely break! I learned I must be patient, wait for everything to be 100% correct, and have it all done at one place. Do not rush this back together or make any rash decisions. Find an excellent speed shop to work with, review your requirements and build with them, and let them do everything. I know you did that and your guy is now closed. But find another one to do the same with. Otherwise, you'll never get out of the middle of it. JMHO. Good luck man! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,

I totally agree. The next time, if there is one and you all know there will be, I will follow this same path. However, I plan on researching the builders business practice further than just a handshake and a check. I will find longevity, ethics and business principle to be qualifying factors in the screening of shops. Anybody can bid the work. It takes sound business practices in today's world of offered services to impress me. And impress me they will or no money will cross hands.

I feel stuck like chuck: smack dab in the middle just like you said. Only patience and price can dictate my response now. I have zero patience for any further bullchit. Price performance remains the main screening tool of my decisions to upgrade anything else. 

Kona76
Mike K.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 25 queries.