Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scot, how about new toys like these?  (Read 1647 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Scot, how about new toys like these?
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:58:51 PM »

Don't have a clue about most of these five pages of gadgets.  But I'd trade 103's bike for that car.  C'mon Scot, dish a little, any of this stuff as potentially cool in practice as the mftr's would like us to believe in print?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4231942.html

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Scot, how about new toys like these?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »

Don't have a clue about most of these five pages of gadgets.  But I'd trade 103's bike for that car.  C'mon Scot, dish a little, any of this stuff as potentially cool in practice as the mftr's would like us to believe in print?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4231942.html

Hey, why are you always trying to get rid of my bike?! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:15:03 PM »

Cause he can pay a bill without paying a bill

On the stuff...  I have seen the article on the car...it is way cool looking and has to beat the chit out of the POS Impala with 134k i now have issued to me

as for the rest of it, other than the air cannon weirdness that blasts GPS trackers at your car..i have seen the rest of it..

Two years running at Thunder in the Rockies there was a license plate recognition system set at each entrance to the parking lot ..recording EVERY  bike plate that went in.  It is a great system, and i wish we had one ..but they are a bit pricey..... 

I hadnt seen the voice command thing on a bike, but we have seen it demoed in  a car....  my concern with it is there is way too much noise in the car for it to work properly..and most of us mumble...  hard to talk with a donut in yer yap after all
 :2vrolijk_21:

and the rumbler thing is awesome.... if our agency were a tad bit more progressive, id have these in my cars already..  but new ideas dont take very well around here

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:34 PM »

Cause he can pay a bill without paying a bill

On the stuff...  I have seen the article on the car...it is way cool looking and has to beat the chit out of the POS Impala with 134k i now have issued to me

What gets stuck in, on, around and through your cars amazes me sometimes.  Have a couple of buddies locally on county forces and have done the occasional ride along.  Have also had occasion to see inside of city and state cars a few times as well.  Seems that some departments occupy tremendous amounts of space for stuff that does little while the things that get used all the time are the "basics." 

Recognize there's got to be more going on then a civilian recognizes.  But seeing equipment often cobbled in to places it can't effectively fit and then see it get transplanted from car to car just makes you shake your head and wonder about reliability.

That Dodge-like-thing looks cool though.  Who am I kidding.  I wouldn't trade 103s bike for that car.  I'd trade both of his bikes for that car :huepfenlol2: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:54:16 PM »

Hey, why are you always trying to get rid of my bike?! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Brian, to get something good a guy has to trade something good.  It's a compliment man :2vrolijk_21: .

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:09:06 AM »

What gets stuck in, on, around and through your cars amazes me sometimes.  Have a couple of buddies locally on county forces and have done the occasional ride along.  Have also had occasion to see inside of city and state cars a few times as well.  Seems that some departments occupy tremendous amounts of space for stuff that does little while the things that get used all the time are the "basics." 

Recognize there's got to be more going on then a civilian recognizes.  But seeing equipment often cobbled in to places it can't effectively fit and then see it get transplanted from car to car just makes you shake your head and wonder about reliability.

That Dodge-like-thing looks cool though.  Who am I kidding.  I wouldn't trade 103s bike for that car.  I'd trade both of his bikes for that car :huepfenlol2: .

the down-sized kiddy cop car with more and more junk jammed in it is a sight to behold..especially with two big guys plus all the crap jammed in it is amazing...
i recently down sized from crown vic with a palacial trunk to the impala
it took me three days of work to configure the stuff to put it al in the trunk..  it works but its a pain to get to some of it

add to that the PC in the trunk in a mammoth tray ( about twice whats needed) and the keyboard and monitor up front..things get interesting quick.

all in all, it could be worse...but i miss the big car

i looked at some chargers recently.... and they missed the boat on the copcar with the full size spare taking up half of the trunk

its a shame, cuz that thing hauls ass!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:14:20 AM »

the down-sized kiddy cop car with more and more junk jammed in it is a sight to behold..especially with two big guys plus all the crap jammed in it is amazing...

There's a Department not far from here that doesn't run rear wheel drive full sized cars.  After they shoe horned in all the equipment in the first couple they found out they just can't carry to full sized men up front.  At least not without the passenger being a contortionist.  Seemed like a recipe for a lot more support calls or a lot more lonely cops on dark nights worrying about stupid people.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:19:50 AM »

There's a Department not far from here that doesn't run rear wheel drive full sized cars.  After they shoe horned in all the equipment in the first couple they found out they just can't carry to full sized men up front.  At least not without the passenger being a contortionist.  Seemed like a recipe for a lot more support calls or a lot more lonely cops on dark nights worrying about stupid people.

we run impalas ..supposedly full size front wheel drive cars.they are ok...  and a lot cheaper than the Vic..so thats what we get.. i miss my Vic

most of the time we run 1 in a car.....its just more practical for handling calls ( maybe 1 or 2 two man cars per shift if we have trainees out)

many calls require 2 initially...  then 1 for paperwork.... i typically run as the "float car"  so i average about 300 miles a night running cover on other guys calls

since we are at roughly 1/2 of the national standard for officer per 100,000 people we gotta be as efficient as we can be with what we have

i wont put numbers in here, in a public forum..but just to give you an idea there are nights when my reserve (volunteer) cops make up about half the shift

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 12:28:45 AM »

i wont put numbers in here, in a public forum..but just to give you an idea there are nights when my reserve (volunteer) cops make up about half the shift

Some of the counties close around here seem to pull similar numbers.  It's a crap shoot though.  While very little problem seems to result from it some of them are loose cannons on the proverbial rolling deck.  Everything from retired officers doing a diligent good job to real cowboys.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »

Some of the counties close around here seem to pull similar numbers.  It's a crap shoot though.  While very little problem seems to result from it some of them are loose cannons on the proverbial rolling deck.  Everything from retired officers doing a diligent good job to real cowboys.

we elimnate the crap shoot.....  same hiring standards as the paid guys, and careful supervision

i am familiar with the type you describe and we dont have them here....  ill fill you in some time

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:56:05 AM »

Lap top in your tourpak? I stick mine in the saddlebag.. vidscreen uo front .. could be sidtracting while riding but interesting while parked for your doughnuts
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:08:30 AM »

More toys to play with. :)
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.