Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squeaking rear brake  (Read 3161 times)

grak

Squeaking rear brake
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »

Have an 08 flhrse4 with a persistently squeaking rear break.  Took it to the dealer who "ground the pad becaused it was glazed" and I still have that squeaking on every stop if I use the back binder.  The fronts never make any noise.  Does any one else have this problem?  If so is there an easy solution?

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
Re: Squeaking rear brake
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »

Mine does it but it is intermitten, after I wash the bike the squeaking stops for awhile.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »

Have an 08 flhrse4 with a persistently squeaking rear break.  Took it to the dealer who "ground the pad becaused it was glazed" and I still have that squeaking on every stop if I use the back binder.  The fronts never make any noise.  Does any one else have this problem?  If so is there an easy solution?

The fronyts do not squeak because they are floating rotors.  HD went cheap and did not put the floating in the rear.  Cleaning to remove the brake dust.  My fix for this in prior HDs is to buy sintered aftermarket pads, little dust and no noise.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grak

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »

Wouldn't you have to by new calipers to make the brake pads centered?  If not, what company did you use to by the replacement pads?  The squeaking is driving me crazy.  I normally don't use my back brake much, but I do like to from time to time. Thanks

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »

Wouldn't you have to by new calipers to make the brake pads centered?  If not, what company did you use to by the replacement pads?  The squeaking is driving me crazy.  I normally don't use my back brake much, but I do like to from time to time. Thanks

There are lots of replaceemnt brake pads out there.  DP, EBC, Lyndall make HD compatible pads.  Just change the pads.  Under $45 should do it.  Less dust, cleaning, wheel pitting and they stop good. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »

Had a brake pad that squeaked intermittently and drove me nuts.  I used brake cleaner on it, and it stopped.  You can get brake cleaner at any auto supply store - might be worth a try.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »

Had a brake pad that squeaked intermittently and drove me nuts.  I used brake cleaner on it, and it stopped.  You can get brake cleaner at any auto supply store - might be worth a try.

That only works for a while and makes a mess.  Aftermarket pads don't make dust, last a long time and stop great. 
I was Brakeccleaning my bike every week to waskh away all the oil leaks.  Good stuff.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

That only works for a while and makes a mess.  Aftermarket pads don't make dust, last a long time and stop great. 
I was Brakeccleaning my bike every week to waskh away all the oil leaks.  Good stuff.

Maybe I'm the exception, but I only used it once & they stopped squeaking.  I use brake cleaner every time I change pads to clean the rotors - works great.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »

My rear brakes squeal too. And along with the other jack-assed mess with this motorcycle, I'm pretty sorry I made the purchase. I do have other bikes to ride, but these problems induce me to ride this one for some unknown reason.  :nixweiss: But I'm getting sick of it!

BC

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »

Do yourselves a favor and swap out the stock pads for some Lyndall Z pads.  Not only do they not squeak/squeal, they have a more linear feel, stop better, and produce almost no dust when compared to the stock crap.  Thoroughly clean out the calipers when making the change, you will find tons of black dust from the stock pads.  The stock pads on my SEEG would start to turn the wheels black almost immediately after cleaning the bike.  With the Lyndall's the wheels still look decent even if I can't get around to washing them for several weeks.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »

My rear brakes squeal too. And along with the other jack-assed mess with this motorcycle, I'm pretty sorry I made the purchase. I do have other bikes to ride, but these problems induce me to ride this one for some unknown reason:nixweiss: But I'm getting sick of it!

BC

Strange that you say that.  I have put more miles on this year than in any previous year.  I think I was always testing the last fix and trying to get all the bugs out while under warranty. 

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

I miss spoke. I like the motorcycle very much...It's like raising an adopted child; first you have to make it forget its birthing problems and complexes that make it temperamental and hard to deal with. Then you keep throwing money at it until it is spoiled rotten and ruined for anyone else to raise so you're stuck with it and it will hang around forever... :huepfenjump3:  Please don't try to make sense of that!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »

I miss spoke. I like the motorcycle very much...It's like raising an adopted child; first you have to make it forget its birthing problems and complexes that make it temperamental and hard to deal with. Then you keep throwing money at it until it is spoiled rotten and ruined for anyone else to raise so you're stuck with it and it will hang around forever... :huepfenjump3:  Please don't try to make sense of that!

Hmmm...now that's a problem - cause it makes way to much sense to lots of us.... :2vrolijk_21:

later...Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.