Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing Cam Tensioners Shoes  (Read 1009 times)

Deuce-Bag

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Replacing Cam Tensioners Shoes
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »

Can anyone tell me which tensioner shoe is typically the one that wears out on a 06' CUSE or similar?  Inside (secondary cam to cam chain), outside (primary cam to crank chain), or both?  I'm guessing the outside tensioner wears faster.  Assuming the inside tensioner shoe has to be replaced does the cam support plate and cams have to come out to get to that tensioner?  I want to be prepared when I pull the cover to inspect the tensioners.  Thanks in advance,  Bob

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Replacing Cam Tensioners Shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »

Can anyone tell me which tensioner shoe is typically the one that wears out on a 06' CUSE or similar?  Inside (secondary cam to cam chain), outside (primary cam to crank chain), or both?  I'm guessing the outside tensioner wears faster.  Assuming the inside tensioner shoe has to be replaced does the cam support plate and cams have to come out to get to that tensioner?  I want to be prepared when I pull the cover to inspect the tensioners.  Thanks in advance,  Bob

My experience with my 04 was - both inner and outer.  And, yes you have to remove the cam plate to get to the inner - and, yes it is easier (for me anyway) to remove the cams and re install the cams and camplate as an assembly.  You will want to realign your oil pump upon re installation of the cam plate.  This is all easier then it may sound.  It is described clearly in your service manual...good luck... :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Deuce-Bag

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I just finished pulling the cover and the shoes look fine after 20k miles.  Barely a ridge in the primarary shoe.  The secondary shoe is difficult to fully inspect but it's trailing edge looked perfect so I suspect the balance of the shoe is fine also.  No shoe carnage in the cover or oil either.  All is good.  Thanks 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I just finished pulling the cover and the shoes look fine after 20k miles.  Barely a ridge in the primarary shoe.  The secondary shoe is difficult to fully inspect but it's trailing edge looked perfect so I suspect the balance of the shoe is fine also.  No shoe carnage in the cover or oil either.  All is good.  Thanks 

glad to help...   ;)   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.