Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 4466 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 10:28:51 PM »

I echo what TC said - You have to decide what you want. 

Do you want performance (TQ & HP)?
Do you want looks - Tru Duals?
Or, do you want quite?

If you want quite, I would not suggest the two into one performance pipes or any of the TruDuals (V&H or Rinehart).  If keeping it on the quite side is your main objective, you will probably want to keep your stock header pipes and change to different slip-on mufflers.  Which slip-on mufflers?.... I suggest looking around and listening to other mufflers.  You don't want to spent $$$ and then be unhappy with your purchase.

I have V&H Big Shot Duals.  They were a little too loud for me until I changes to the quite baffles and added fish-tail tips (the tips did make a difference in the tone).  They sound awesome now IMO, but would probably be too loud for you.

Get out and go on a few poker runs and toy runs (since Christmas is coming up quick).  Look and listen.

Best advice by far.  It's impossible to decide on something like an exhaust system strictly based on other people's opinions.  Other folks can tell you about things like how well the parts fit, how well they hold up over time, etc., but when it comes to appearance and sound qualities everyone has different opinions.  Hang out at some dealerships and some rallies/rides and listen to the various pipes.  When you see and hear something you like, strike up a conversation with the owner (most folks I know love to talk about their bikes with most anyone who walks by).  Also a good idea, talk to some of the folks who do the dyno tuning in your area about which types of pipes work best with your type of bike and your riding style.  Each type (stock crossover system, true duals, two into one, etc.) will have certain advantages and disadvantages with regard to ease of tuning, most effective rpm ranges, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 06:51:42 AM »

put supertrapps on mine with the se breather and sert.  right pipe turned bluish following about 1k miles before the muffler increases in size and also there was a defect in the chrome on the right muffler.  hopefully that is being taken care of but so far I have had no luck getting it resolved.  that being said I like the sound and it made decent power after the tune.  I may have to buy the earlier muffler heat shields to hide the ugly bluing that is happening on that right hand muffler.  my a/f following the tune is 13.15:1...so it is not too lean but I am not sure why it turned so blue.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 08:38:23 AM »

a 2 into 1 or slip-ons (keeping stock headers) will maintain lower RPM TQ.  When you're reading about high HP after mods it's usually in the 4-5,000 RPM range.  I don't often get above 3,500 since I'm doing over 80 in 6th gear by the time I get through all the gears then.

The sound you like is completely up to you.  I've got SE Pro Performance slip ons, made by Supertrapp.  They're quite a bit louder than stock but not as loud as D&D, Reinhardt or V&H.  Good luck.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »

2-1 also allows for the left side bag to stay cool.  Very important whenst carrying chilled beverages n cigars.
My RH 2-1 is only loud when run hard, it doesn't make too much noise until that 4-5 k range.

Miker

RobertinArgyle

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »

I really like my Supertrapp SuperMeg 2:1- great low/mid range power, quiet at cruise, nice bark at full throttle...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.