Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sundowner Seat  (Read 1690 times)

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
Sundowner Seat
« on: July 28, 2005, 09:41:20 PM »

In my quest to find a more comfortable seat I am looking for a little input. I think that a few are using the Sundowner seat and I wondered how it puts you on the bike compared to the stock seat. Does it move you up/forward, down/back? Also, does it still give you the tail bone pain after 200 miles like the stock seat does? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
Re: Sundowner Seat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:01:30 PM »

Mine will be here Tuesday. I had a chance to ride an 04 that had the Sundowner on it. I'm 5'10 and I felt a littler taller in the saddle, not much, but enough to know there was a difference. With the stock seat my arms are almost straight and with the Sundowner just a very slight bend. Big thing I noticed was the edge of the seat since the Sundowner is wider than the stock seat. I was getting really sore legs across my back pockets from the eges of the stock seat, on the Sundowner, there seemed to be more support in that area.

If the Sundowner doesn't work out, will send it off to one of the seat rebuilders and tolerate the stock seat until it gets back.

Jim

Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 10:06:38 PM »

Thanks Jim. I would appreciate it if you posted your thoughts after you get the seat and put some miles on it. Thanks again!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:15:44 PM »

Will do... Noticed you said you had "tail bone" pain. Haven't had hat and have been 350+ in a day. I only had the sore spot I mentioned before - and it was more like a bke a bruise than anything else.

Will see how it turns out. Seat arrives with my new Vance and Hines Oval slip ons - same day I head to NC for a week... Their timing sucks - one day difference and I would be in the shop late that night...

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 10:36:42 PM »

Have a good trip. You going to NC on the bike? If so, what parts you going to be in? I know there are a few members from there on this site and I run around up there a few times a month.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 01:22:57 AM »

I use a road king classic sudowner seat on my bike for trips. I'm 5'9" and it is a really comfortable seat.  I just returned from a 2300 mile trip and I didn't notice the seat at all. That means that my butt didn't get sore. I generally spent 6 - 8 hour days in the saddle and the seat was really comfortable. It is just a bit wider than stock at the nose and the tongue is a little flatter than stock so that scrotal cleavage is not an issue. I think that it may sit a half inch or so closer than the stock seat but it's no big deal. The basketweave on the sides matches the stock backrests somewhat, enough so that it looks nice on the bike.
MObe

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 09:18:38 AM »

I use a road king classic sudowner seat on my bike for trips. I'm 5'9" and it is a really comfortable seat.  I just returned from a 2300 mile trip and I didn't notice the seat at all. That means that my butt didn't get sore. I generally spent 6 - 8 hour days in the saddle and the seat was really comfortable. It is just a bit wider than stock at the nose and the tongue is a little flatter than stock so that scrotal cleavage is not an issue. I think that it may sit a half inch or so closer than the stock seat but it's no big deal. The basketweave on the sides matches the stock backrests somewhat, enough so that it looks nice on the bike.

Thanks Mobe!! That is exactly what I was looking for.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 09:19:01 AM by Laker23 »

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 09:06:22 PM »

I use a RK Custom Sundowner anytime we ride over 50 or so miles from home. Had one on my RK since '01 and we like them.  Several 500 mile days on both bikes. I had Pro Pad Gel Inserts put in. Can't tell the difference by looking or by setting on it, but after a couple hundred miles you just notice you butt has no "hot" spots and your still comfortable. Have ridden 505 miles without gel and 495 with, good both ways, just better with gel.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 11:50:26 PM »

Based on the feedback I got in here, I went with the RK seat, but I opted for the new "Reach"  I am 5'9", and it moves you forward 1" and keeps the stock seat height.
I broke it in the day I got it with a weekend ride of 1100 miles.  I was very impressed.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

monorat

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 11:22:42 AM »

Can you still use the driver backrest with a Sundowner RK classic seat ??  [smiley=confused5.gif]
1972 HD 250MX
2005 FLHTCSE2, Yellow, Freedom Pipes, SE air cleaner, power commander, Freedom/Andrews gear drive cams, Saddleman custom seat, XM radio, Freedom shorty antenna, 12.5 HD 440's.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 11:25:42 AM »

What's the part number for the RK Classic Sundowner you guys are using?

Laker

• Elite CVO Member

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 02:12:01 PM »

Can you still use the driver backrest with a Sundowner RK classic seat ??  [smiley=confused5.gif]

Yes..I use one for long trips . The backrest fits fine.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 09:43:15 PM »

Finally made it back from NC. First thing the boss did was extend my stay. Oh well - a little more time to hit the dealers in Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Raleigh. Look like nice places to ride

Got back and the firs thing the wife told me was my parts got here. She said there was good news and bad news - the pipes and seat made it just fine. The seat was attacked by the new puppy (great piraneese) and didn't survive.

I can take this opportunity to tell you te padding and material inside looks first rate, firm but not too harsh. Dog couldn't have got the rear seat, but got both front and rear sections. Missing a section of 12" x 18" in a seat will definitely give you a fine view of the interior. Will see if I can find someone to repair and see what happens. Worst case is it will end up as a bar stool in the shop.

New seat is on order will be here in abut 2 weeks. New oval slip ons sound great.

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.