Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spark Plug Gaping  (Read 1261 times)

SPIDERMAN

Spark Plug Gaping
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »

Looking for a consensus on sparkplug gaping here. I've always gapped my plugs wide( .045 -.050)  Sometimes starts a bit harder, but I'm of the opinion it creates a fatter spark.

COMMENTS ?

B B

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Spark Plug Gaping
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:15:55 PM »

I've always ran them at .040.  The larger the gap the more voltage it takes to bridge the gap so a larger gap would create a longer spark but also a less intense (weaker) spark unless the voltage output of the coil is increased to compensate. Race motors typically use a large gap and very high output coils.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 10:06:13 PM »

40 thou here too Brian.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »

Brian,

Assuming the rest of the ignition system is capable of consistently firing the wider gap, the wider gap is preferable to a narrow gap.  This is especially true with stock (lean) air/fuel ratios, and the rationale is that a wider gap improves the odds that a combustable mixture will be located within the gap.  In the "bad old days" of auto emission systems and carburetors, we had ignition systems that could fire gaps of .080" or more for this very reason.

Personally, I like to set my plugs near the max of the specified range (ie. a loose .040" / snug .045" with a spec of .038"-.043").  Since I change plugs yearly, I don't have to worry about electrode erosion causing the gap to grow to the point of misfire.  Anything wider, however, may have adverse effects on starting and high rpm operation.  If you go to a fine wire plug like the Autolite or the Iridium, you can open the gap a little more since the fine wire electrode reduces the amount of voltage required to fire the plug. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:34:47 PM »

I run Screamin Eagle Triple Plaitinum plugs and toss em every fluid change (2,500)

SE coil and plug wires to fire em. Sounds like I'm good at .045

Thanks

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 10:37:05 PM »

I run Screamin Eagle Triple Plaitinum plugs and toss em every fluid change (2,500)

SE coil and plug wires to fire em. Sounds like I'm good at .045

Thanks

B B

Brian, if you change fluids at 2500 do you just use a good dino oil?  Or still use synthetics?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »

Brian, if you change fluids at 2500 do you just use a good dino oil?  Or still use synthetics?

I'm an old fashioned guy in love with new technology Don. I use Amsoil and toss it every 2,500 miles (all 3 holes)   :nixweiss:  Old habits die hard buddy, but ask Mark what kind of shape Elvis is in with 40k on the odometer. Long time ago, someone told me " oil is cheap, new engines aren't "

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 03:34:46 AM »

I'm an old fashioned guy in love with new technology Don. I use Amsoil and toss it every 2,500 miles (all 3 holes)   :nixweiss:  Old habits die hard buddy, but ask Mark what kind of shape Elvis is in with 40k on the odometer. Long time ago, someone told me " oil is cheap, new engines aren't "

B B

Brian, service intervals on bikes, religion, political parties, breasts or bottoms; it's all whatever works for you man.  You'll never hear me say a word.  It doesn't break the bank and you're good with it.  That's all that matters.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 06:09:53 AM »

something to consider on spark gap. the ionic sensor is looking for resistance at the plug, if it determines resistance, it will retard timing.a longer gap would provide this resistance. larger gap also makes the motor feel like it has a little extra timing----go figure , the ion sensor sees resistance and retards timing that was added by increasing gap----any benefit?

the real logic behind the ion sensor was to pull timing during detonation, which it sees as resistance at the plug.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »

something to consider on spark gap. the ionic sensor is looking for resistance at the plug, if it determines resistance, it will retard timing.a longer gap would provide this resistance. larger gap also makes the motor feel like it has a little extra timing----go figure , the ion sensor sees resistance and retards timing that was added by increasing gap----any benefit?

the real logic behind the ion sensor was to pull timing during detonation, which it sees as resistance at the plug.

Something to consider indeed. Thanks for the post. I'm gonna run a set of plugs at .040 and see how LD runs.

B B

Page created in 4.281 seconds with 25 queries.