Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 New Ride impressions  (Read 1815 times)

azg

08 New Ride impressions
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »

Today was the first day I actually had a chance to ride my new toy. Put 100 miles on and... what a great bike!  I have had many bikes over the the past few years including 3 other Harley's.  This is by far the best of the lot. I put Bub 7's(deep sound and loud), SE air cleaner and SERK on immediately. I used a supplied map (104) and I can say that it works perfectly. No pinging, no backfiring or odd behavior. Just smooth power and lots of it. My idea was to let the bike breath better and run cooler right from the start. According to the LCD oil temp gauge, it appears to be working, as oil temp hasn't gone over 200 degrees when I've checked it. This is also the best handling Harley I have owned. Feels smaller then is really is at speed. I was also very pleased with the stability on the freeway at 80mph. Tracks as well well as my goldwing, and thats saying a lot. Brakes are undoubtedly the best Harley has ever had. Huge improvement and really what the bike should have. I already ordered a clearview 17" as the stock windshield is useless, like everyone has already said. The other add I highly advise are the adjustable highway pegs. I bought the short angled ones and they fit my 5'11" frame perfectly.

I am going to follow the break-in recommendation rigorously and hope I do not see any of the problems that seem to plague the 110. Right now, it's hard not to be impressed with the bike.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:56:42 PM by azg »
2008 SERK
2013 K1600GT

MikeD

Re: 08 New Ride impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:20:06 AM »

Is that a "ghost" pipe on the the left side, just there for looks?  I see the two into one on the right side.

azg

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:33:54 AM »

Not a ghost pipe. These are the Bub 7's w/ crossover. Better for low-and response.
2008 SERK
2013 K1600GT

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »

I think changing the upper mount out to the frame instead of under the tank made a huge difference in how stable these bikes are at speed.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

sbse

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:24:13 PM »

Saw the Blue SERK at the dealer Saturday. Unfortunately it was sold. That is one sharp bike.

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:04 PM »

I think changing the upper mount out to the frame instead of under the tank made a huge difference in how stable these bikes are at speed.

I agree. Sorry to hijack the thread, but on Sunday, a friend with an '07 FLHX Street Glide swapped rides with me. The FIRST thing I noticed was the lack of directional stability in his bike. It was amazing. There is a HUGE difference. I'm not sure whether it's the frame, the wheel/tire combination, the lack of batwing fairing, or all of the above. But is is very noticable, even from speeds as low as 30 mph. Viva the SE Road King!!!  :D
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 11:31:11 PM »

Azg - oops, I forgot to ask. How do them new BUB 7's sound. I got Rineharts on mine and like 'em a lot, but I think those 7 mufflers look cool.

By the way, I will be in Tucson on vacation with with wife and ankle biters between Dec 27 and Jan 5. Maybe we could hook up and go for a bit of a scoot one morning. Whaddya think?
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 12:31:34 AM »

I like your color choice!

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »

Your blue bike does look nice. I haven't seen one in person but the pictures people have been posting do look better than the Harley site. As with my bike it seems the bikes do take on different hues in different light and I am discovering different paint effects all the time.
It is a remarkable ride. As I was cruising down the Interstate tonight I felt like that guy in the old Maxell ads that is sitting in the easy chair being blasted by the speakers.
Even though my '06 Fatboy feels lighter and more flickable around corners, I get in trouble with it because it just can't handle the turns and lean as well as this SERK.
At approximately 2400 miles I do have the remains of the tiniest leak under the rear exhaust that I am monitoring, hoping it has sealed itself.
I was dissappointed when I missed out on an '07 SERK but I am glad I waited until the '08s came out because I sure do like the changes HD made.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »

Az nice ride,
I looked at the BUB 7's crossover too. However, I went with RH TD, bought on Black Friday (saved 20%) so couldn't pass on the deal. I also bought the angle highway pegs (flame pegs, of course). Let me know how the 17"windshield goes please. I'm the same hieght, it would help me by shorting my returns with reciepts.
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »

AZ,

Here's how the 17" Clearview looks. Major improvement. I also have a fairing coming - paint to match - that I'll use on long trips.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

azg

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 11:23:48 PM »

Quint.

When your here, let me know. Hopefully it won't be too cold or wet.

Love the sound of the Bub 7's. They are actually louder than I expected. They do have a deep growl.
'
Recieved my Clearview 17" today. Can't wait to ride to see what fuss is all about.
2008 SERK
2013 K1600GT

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »

Quint.

When your here, let me know. Hopefully it won't be too cold or wet.

Love the sound of the Bub 7's. They are actually louder than I expected. They do have a deep growl.
'
Recieved my Clearview 17" today. Can't wait to ride to see what fuss is all about.

Azg

Thanks buddy - will do.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.