Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Car problem need help  (Read 1486 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Car problem need help
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »

Daughter's '96 Civic has developed a problem with the door locks.  When the door lock/security system activate button is pressed on the key fob the alarm sets normally but neither door (2-door car) will lock.  If lock them manually and then press 'unlock/disarm' on the key fob both doors will unlock and alarm deactivate normally.

Checked with both fobs so problem is not there.

Don't know much about this but wondering what I should check for.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Car problem need help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »

Daughter's '96 Civic has developed a problem with the door locks.  When the door lock/security system activate button is pressed on the key fob the alarm sets normally but neither door (2-door car) will lock.  If lock them manually and then press 'unlock/disarm' on the key fob both doors will unlock and alarm deactivate normally.

Oh gosh Jerry. I could take this in so many, not so helpful, directions.

I'm not going to be any help, but just wanted to wish you and JC a Happy New Year.

:indian_chief:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »

Oh gosh Jerry. I could take this in so many, not so helpful, directions.

I'm not going to be any help, but just wanted to wish you and JC a Happy New Year.

:indian_chief:
Ditto Chief.  Hope you and Pinkie have a wonderful '08.

IBA member # 45520

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »

There may be a child safety feature on that car that prevents the power locks from working.  It's meant to keep kids from locking their parents out.  There may be a button some where that got bumped accidentally.  Check the manual.  Mines on the door jam and is only accessible when the door is open.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »

In the alarm systems I've seen, there are two relays for the power locks (lock&unlock). When you disarm the alarm you will be able to feel which relay clicks. Then unplug it and switch with the other relay and see if it works when you arm it. The relay might have gone bad. To locate the relays follow the wires from the brain of the alarm usually located somewhere in the area of the steering column.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

Hello mi amigo Jerry....Happy and Healthy New year to you and Carolyn.....

Suggestion: Maybe you are able to use the tour pack automatic locks and keyfobs from your bike in her car.......... :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple:

BTW all the problems with the engine were fixed? What "long trip" are you going to ride this year? I started to plan the mine.......

Best Regards,

Jorge

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »

In the alarm systems I've seen, there are two relays for the power locks (lock&unlock). When you disarm the alarm you will be able to feel which relay clicks. Then unplug it and switch with the other relay and see if it works when you arm it. The relay might have gone bad. To locate the relays follow the wires from the brain of the alarm usually located somewhere in the area of the steering column.
Thanks, I'll check that.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:01 AM »

Hello mi amigo Jerry....Happy and Healthy New year to you and Carolyn.....

Suggestion: Maybe you are able to use the tour pack automatic locks and keyfobs from your bike in her car.......... :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple:

BTW all the problems with the engine were fixed? What "long trip" are you going to ride this year? I started to plan the mine.......

Best Regards,

Jorge
Got 1k on the new engine and so far so good!  Haven't really planned any 'long' trip yet for 2008.  Not going to the 105th but unsure exactly what we'll dream up.  If you have ideas pm me.  Happy new year to you and Martha.

IBA member # 45520

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »

Jerry,
Pull a door panel off and check to see whether power is being applied to the lock solenoids when you use the fob (locking them).  If it is, then it's probably the solenoids themselves.  You can test them by taking them loose, yet leaving the wiring connected.  If they work then, then take a look at the lock mechanism itself.  It could simply need lubrication.  As long as you can easily work the mechanism from the solenoids point of operation, then you probably need solenoids.  They're not too expensive, probably $50 ea or so.  You may also be able to simply "hear" whether the solenoids are trying to operate by getting the car into a quiet area and operating the fob while holding your head near the door, though often it's very difficult to hear.  Pulling the panel isn't a big deal, usually a screw or 2 in the armrest, maybe one under the power window/lock control panel (it should just pop up/out), and maybe one under/inside a light at the rear of the door (if it has lights there in the first place).  The majority of the panel is held by push in "snaps".  They just pop out.  Helps to have a thin screwdriver to help pop them out, as 12 years old, they'll be fragile and easily break.  Hope this helps.

arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »

Jerry,
Pull a door panel off and check to see whether power is being applied to the lock solenoids when you use the fob (locking them).  If it is, then it's probably the solenoids themselves.  You can test them by taking them loose, yet leaving the wiring connected.  If they work then, then take a look at the lock mechanism itself.  It could simply need lubrication.  As long as you can easily work the mechanism from the solenoids point of operation, then you probably need solenoids.  They're not too expensive, probably $50 ea or so.  You may also be able to simply "hear" whether the solenoids are trying to operate by getting the car into a quiet area and operating the fob while holding your head near the door, though often it's very difficult to hear.  Pulling the panel isn't a big deal, usually a screw or 2 in the armrest, maybe one under the power window/lock control panel (it should just pop up/out), and maybe one under/inside a light at the rear of the door (if it has lights there in the first place).  The majority of the panel is held by push in "snaps".  They just pop out.  Helps to have a thin screwdriver to help pop them out, as 12 years old, they'll be fragile and easily break.  Hope this helps.

arctic
Thanks, hoping for some warmer weather this weekend and I'll take a look.  This morning it was in the high teens.  Brrrrrrrrr

IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »

Thanks, hoping for some warmer weather this weekend and I'll take a look.  This morning it was in the high teens.  Brrrrrrrrr

Same here, Jerry

My money is on the relay since both doors are doing the same thing.  Odds of two solenoids going bad at the same time are pretty slim, but one relay probably sends juice to both doors.  The relay should be a plug and play deal.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »

Same here, Jerry

My money is on the relay since both doors are doing the same thing.  Odds of two solenoids going bad at the same time are pretty slim, but one relay probably sends juice to both doors.  The relay should be a plug and play deal.
I agree Terry, I was involved in the automotive aftermarket for many years. My money is on the relay.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

Same here, Jerry

I agree, both doors are doing the same. You can check the voltage after the relay to see if you have anything going out to the solenoids. If the lock and unlock relays are the same type you can swap them and see what happens. Might be all part of the same relay housing with two inside, then you'd have to just replace it. But if you test and there is no voltage going out then that would be the problem anyway.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:49:08 AM by Talon »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I just knew some of you would have good ideas on what to check.  Really appreciate the help.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.