Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intercom w/Full Face Helmet  (Read 4475 times)

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 105th
Intercom w/Full Face Helmet
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:54:14 PM »

My dealer just tried to install a J&M intercom system on my Shoei X11 and my wifes Shark RSX full face helmets.  Unfortunately, the speakers stick too far into the head space and the microphone stuck into my chin.  I got my money back, but they don't have any options to suggest.  The Harley systems with boom mic's are all made for the 3/4 helmets. 

Has anyone figured out a system that will work with a full face helmet?   (Note: we're NOT talking about flip-up styles like the Nolan N-102. These are fixed full face helmets.  )

Appreciate any help. 

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
Re: Intercom w/Full Face Helmet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »

This is the J&M set I have in my Nolan N84 Full Face Helmet.  Works great for me.
http://jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HS-ECD584-FF&PF=8

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »

This is the J&M set I have in my Nolan N84 Full Face Helmet.  Works great for me.
http://jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HS-ECD584-FF&PF=8

I would contact the people at J&M and ask them if they have any tips in getting their unit into your helmet. It is in their best interest to help you find a way.

:indian_chief:

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »

Thanks, HJD and Chief.  HJD's unit is exactly what the Harley guys put in my two helmets.  It just didn't work.  I like the idea of calling J&M.  That will be Monday job. 
JW

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:22 PM »

Thats a bummer.  Hope J&m can help you get it figured out.  I have called them 4-5 times and they were helpful every time. Good luck

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:10:07 PM »

My dealer just tried to install a J&M intercom system on my Shoei X11 and my wifes Shark RSX full face helmets.  Unfortunately, the speakers stick too far into the head space and the microphone stuck into my chin.  I got my money back, but they don't have any options to suggest.  The Harley systems with boom mic's are all made for the 3/4 helmets. 

Has anyone figured out a system that will work with a full face helmet?   (Note: we're NOT talking about flip-up styles like the Nolan N-102. These are fixed full face helmets.  )

Appreciate any help.  Look up Blue antwireless.com       My wife and I love them  YOu can get them for 100 bucks on ebay. We both ride separate and they work great.  They are the interphone intercom  They attach to the helmet easily and fit in out Shoie helmets with ease Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »

Appreciate any help. 

Hope you got help from J&M.  They will do the install for you for a fee of course.  However, they were a great help to me when I installed the same setup that Chief referred to above.  I had to cut out some of the foam for the speakers and the mic insert.  Works great!  I only wish my wife would use a full face then we would not have the wind interference on her mic. :-*
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »

the folks at J&M say they are no longer accepting Shoei X-11's to install the intercom.  they say they have too many complaints and it's not worth it trying to make any of their systems work.  That's encouraging!  thanks all for your ideas but it doesn't look like i'm going to get an intercom as long as i have my expensive full face helmets. 
JW

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »

the folks at J&M say they are no longer accepting Shoei X-11's to install the intercom.  they say they have too many complaints and it's not worth it trying to make any of their systems work.  That's encouraging!  thanks all for your ideas but it doesn't look like i'm going to get an intercom as long as i have my expensive full face helmets. 
JW
JW my wife and I both have Shoie X-11 helmets. We use the Blueant interphone. they fit very easily into the helmets. They work great upto 65 . Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »

Billy, I looked on their web site and see the boom mike.  How do you handle that on the X-11?
Did you have to carve out some styrofoam for the earphones?
 Thanks for the info.

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »

the folks at J&M say they are no longer accepting Shoei X-11's to install the intercom.  they say they have too many complaints and it's not worth it trying to make any of their systems work.  That's encouraging!  thanks all for your ideas but it doesn't look like I'm going to get an intercom as long as i have my expensive full face helmets. 
JW

I can see that some customers might complain if the foam comes back cracked etc. from the handeling and installation.  I did my own work with their helpful directions and it is not easy getting the foam shell out to work on carving out some space to support the installation of the Mic and ear pieces.  However, after doing so, the sound quality was great using their equipment.  My helmet is 5 years old so they may have made changes that make the install more difficult.  The only problem I have is that my wife does not use a full face helmet so her Mic picks up the wind interference.  If you screw up the job, I do not think you can order the foam seperately to replace it.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »

Billy, I looked on their web site and see the boom mike.  How do you handle that on the X-11?
Did you have to carve out some Styrofoam for the earphones?
 Thanks for the info.
The boom mic fits into the helmet very well. You don't have to cut out anything.  Also look up on amazon .com . i found the interphones for about 100 bucks. the battery life when using the intercom. is only about 5 hours . i talk alot. It sure makes it nice to be able to talk back and forth with out any buttons. They do work up to 500 feet like they say. I also hook it up to my Zummo 550 . You can only do one thing at a time so you will have to switch back and forth to use the intercom You can remove the mic and earpiece very easily.  Also if you are using the wind dam that came with the helmet you get almost no noise. I now have 2 sets so we don' have to charge during long trips. Let me know if you have more ?s   Billy

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »

Thanks, Billy.  A couple more questions.  Did you install the boom between the cheek pads and the styrofoam?  How did you attach the mike itself?  velcro?  sticky pads?
Thanks for the information.   

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »

Thanks, Billy.  A couple more questions.  Did you install the boom between the cheek pads and the Styrofoam?  How did you attach the mike itself?  Velcro?  sticky pads?
Thanks for the information.   

All you have to do is slide the earpiece between the check pads and the foam.  I have not used anything to hold the ear piece in place.  The mike move a little bit. i am trying to find a way to hold it in one place as if it moves down it will pick up more wind noise. I think I will try some Velcro on the mike. I bought the last pair of Interphone from AAA Electronics and more # is 1-231-723-4597  Total price for 2 units is $217.90 del.  Billy

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.