Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air cleaner  (Read 1435 times)

bamaserk

Air cleaner
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:46:07 AM »

Need everyone's expertise.  Does the 2008 SERK have the high flow air cleaner assembly from the factory or not?  I have read in some forums that it does and you only have to replace the paper filter with a K&N type filter to have the "stage 1" setup and in others, they say you have to replace the whole assembly with the kit HD sells.  Anyone know the real scoop?  Thanks
Brett
08 SERK

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: Air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:59:07 AM »

The factory air cleaner is not the high flow version.  If you replace it with the screaming eagle high flow air cleaner they will tell you that you need to purchase a new air cleaner cover.  DON'T DO IT!  One of the noce things about our CVOs is the 110 air cleaner cover.  You can still use it.  Just make a spacer to go between the cover and the screw. It needs to be about 1/4" thick.  I used to hard rubber faucet washers with a metal washer in between.  It isolates the vibration so the cover won't crack and everything works like a champ.

If you look at the attached pic, you can see that there is no black plastic rim going around the outside of the cover which is the problem with the factory cover.  That box restricts the air flow even if you use a high flow filter.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »

The factory air cleaner is not the high flow version.   If you replace it with the screaming eagle high flow air cleaner they will tell you that you need to purchase a new air cleaner cover.  DON'T DO IT!  One of the noce things about our CVOs is the 110 air cleaner cover.  You can still use it.  Just make a spacer to go between the cover and the screw. It needs to be about 1/4" thick.  I used to hard rubber faucet washers with a metal washer in between.  It isolates the vibration so the cover won't crack and everything works like a champ.

If you look at the attached pic, you can see that there is no black plastic rim going around the outside of the cover which is the problem with the factory cover.  That box restricts the air flow even if you use a high flow filter.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr
On your bike (CUSE's) that is correct you don't have the hi-flo backplate, but I believe the SERK's do come w/the hi-flo backplate.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »

Wow.  Thanks for the info, Fired00d!  I never noticed the difference when looking at the SERK.:-[

It's strange that they would use different setups since the explination that I was given was that they have to use the restrictive stuff from the factory to make the EPA happy.  Wonder what's different that they can do it on the SERK and not the CUSE?  Also, I know the SERK comes with the AC cover that supposedly won't work with the highflow setup, so how did they get around it?  Oh well, another day another head spin from the MoCo!

Thanks again and Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »

The reason I've heard that they can't use the hi-flo (open) backplate on the CUSE's is because of noise. The lowers trap the noise in more then if they weren't there (like the SERK's) and that is the reason it can't pass. In this particular instance it's noise level that is keeping the CUSE's from having the open back plate and not a fuel/air/emissions thing.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »

Gary,  The 07's had the high flow, but the 08's do not.  I'm talking about the SERK's.  They also have two different style covers...the 08 has the same cover and air box as the SEUC.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »

Terry,
Thanks. I guess I was half right. :D

J-Carr you were correct in your post then. :2vrolijk_21: Sorry.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

No apology necessary Gary.  I appreciate you and TCnBham pointing it out and now thanks to all of us I believe we're confused on a higher plane and in a better state of mind!  :huepfenjump3:

What's interesting is when I put the hi-flo back plate on my 95" '99 Ultra I really noticed the noise from the thing.  But I don't hear it at all from my CUSE3.  Must be the Jimmy Page solution.  With the HK stereo and amp setup I never hear anything but music...

At any rate, I hope all of this helps you out Bamaserk.  If you have the black plastic box behind the pretty chrome cover you need the hi-flo back plate as well as a filter.  If you don't, then just through a hi-flo filter of your liking in that puppy and have at it.  Good luck.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

Need everyone's expertise.  Does the 2008 SERK have the high flow air cleaner assembly from the factory or not?  I have read in some forums that it does and you only have to replace the paper filter with a K&N type filter to have the "stage 1" setup and in others, they say you have to replace the whole assembly with the kit HD sells.  Anyone know the real scoop?  Thanks

I have an '08 SERK and I've upgraded mine to a SE '08 air cleaner.  The big black plastic box comes off and the TB upper crossmount has to come off as well.  The new aluminum backer plate will locate the TB with the vent bolts to the heads.

The new filter has a rubber gasket so to speak from and back.  I just put my original AC cover back on and used Blue Loctite on the center bolt.  I had to do it twice to get it level with the ground, but the rubber filter grips the cover very well.  I used adhesive to glue my black edging back on the rim of the cover so I wouldn't be just raw material when I'm cleaning the motor.

The kit was about $140.00.  You have to have the '08 kit for the 50 mm TB.  The '07 kit won't fit, so I've been told.

I'm on the road at a customer's plant right now, but I can get a picture later if you need one.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.