Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I believe it's fixed.......  (Read 1347 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
I believe it's fixed.......
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »

As many of you know I have been battling speedo fluctuation problems for a while.

Two years ago I had similar problems along with turn signal issues when I first installed the Zippers T-Max unit. Zippers identified the problem and a year later Thunderheart came out with a fix. I installed their new ECM, and the turn signal issue was resolved. However a short time later the speedo fluctuations returned. I spent several months working with Zippers on this until I was 99.999% sure it was not a Zippers ECM problem. I cleaned and replaced the VSS, which was about all I could do by myself. Zippers suggested I take the bike to a speedo shop.

I couldn’t find a shop that would take the speedo and check it out, so I took the bike to Bartels' HD. Their service guy said they had a breakout box diagnostic tool that could pinpoint the problem. So I dropped the bike off and a couple of days later they called back (the tech was backlogged) and said the tests had narrowed it down to either the VSS, or the Speedo head. I told them I swapped the VSS a couple of months ago, but they swapped it out anyway and tested it. No change, the fluctuations were still there. The tech Chris said he checked the continuity between the VSS and speedo head and all the wires were okay. He said he even pulled and tugged on the wires to check them. The only thing left was changing out the speedo, and that was $300 new. He did mention that I had a low speed wobble (which I knew I had and attributed to the Avon tires) so he changed my fork oil. When I picked the bike up, the speedo was still not working, (as expected) and the wobble was still present (not expected). So I went out and got a used speedo for $47.00 and swapped it in. No change. At the suggestion of some folks on Harley Tech Talk I did a battery and voltage regulator check and those were fine. Then I started wondering about the T-Max system again, and thought maybe the auto-tune was affecting the speedo. So I talked to Jason, one of the techs at Thunderheart, and he walked me through the whole wiring diagram pretty much ruling out any Thundermax conflicts. With nothing left to look for, I started the "last on, first off" method, meaning I removed everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that I have installed over the years to see if that made a difference. No change.

Finally I took the bike to an independent shop and told them that they were my last hope. The guy who checked it in seemed to have more confidence than I did that they would find the problem. The next day they called and said they fixed the bike. It was a broken wire in the overlay harness. When I asked how they found it, they said they checked the continuity and wiggled the wires that ran from the VSS to the Speedo head. One of the wires was broken along the frame near the steering neck. At first I thought that all the lock to lock turns I do when teaching Ride Like A Pro, strained and broke the wires. Later I found out on HTT that another ’01 Ultra owner had the same problem except his broken wire was with cruise control. So they repaired the break and wrapped everything in stronger tape to reinforce it. They said they also tightened up the neck bearings and that got rid of the wobble. Now I have the fun of reinstalling all the stuff I took off.

The good news is that the bike is repaired and the wobble is gone! However I am perplexed and want to know how the heck the tech at Bartels' HD could have checked continuity, and tugged on the same wires and all, and missed it? Same thing with diagnosing the low speed wobble as fork fluid instead of steering neck bearings. How did he check and miss that too? 

God it was frustrating going through this. If I wasn't already bald, I'd have been pulling out my hair.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: I believe it's fixed.......
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:54:11 AM »

Mark, you've answered the question yourself to a certain extent.  It was intermittent.  Contact came and went.  The original tech might or might not have been careless and just missed it.  You'll never know.  Harness issues are a pain.  He might have tugged and pulled and scrathed and sniffed and never got it "just right" to show up while he was measuring the right leg.  If he didn't check the neck while doing fork oil that's careless.  It's hard to blame a guy for missing an intermittent open though; at least unless you know for a fact that he really didn't do much.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:38:56 AM »

I agree Don, intermittent electrical problems can be a real PITA to diagnose, especially for someone trying to make a living on flat rate.  I've had the opportunity to trace more than a few over the years, and eventually found them, but I had unlimited time and access to the offending vehicle/system.  The handful of professional techs I've known over the years who were really good at it definitely have my respect. 

The "wiggle test" is far from foolproof, since each tech may have a slightly different technique.  For instance, do you just wiggle and tug on the loose ends, or do you completely remove all locator's and straps so you can "wiggle" the entire harness?  How often (every foot, every 6 inches, ?) do you bend and wiggle the harness?  IMHO, tracing an intermittent is as much an art as it is a science.

Mark, I know this entire thing has been frustrating, but it's great that both issues have finally been resolved.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »

Ironhorse I am so happy to hear you got the problems fixed. Now it is time to go out and enjoy riding again.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »

Wireing problems are the worst glad to hear you have it fixed.ride safe JDO

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »

Being a automotive "expert"  my guess is the indy tech wiggled it until it broke completely and then found it.  He may have been a bit more rough. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »

Being a automotive "expert"  my guess is the indy tech wiggled it until it broke completely and then found it.  He may have been a bit more rough. 

Now that's one avenue of repair I didn't think of. The tech said he hooked one end of the multimeter to the wires at the speedo head, and worked his way back testing in small increments and shaking the wires as he went. When he got a broken signal, he knew he had just passed the area of the break. So I guess your right, he could have finished the break during his testing and wiggling process.

Anyway, I rode it again today and no problems!

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »

Thanks for reporting back on what the fix was.  In case anyone else here has a similar problem, you may have saved someone a lot of grief.  Glad you finally found the problem.  Sounds like a huge investment in time and money on your part. :nervous:

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.