Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hawg Wired Amp Comparison - Input please  (Read 2524 times)

badbagger

Hawg Wired Amp Comparison - Input please
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »

Been doing some reading and basically new to this forum.  I just installed the Hawg Wired CX series speakers in my Road Glide.  I've also got the Hog Tunes amp.  It just doesn't get it and I need more power.  Since I've also installed a set of Polk Tweeters after installing my Hawg Wired CX speakers, I've noticed the max RMS on the Polk Tweeters is 60 Watts.

I am looking at two Hawg Wired amps as follows:

1.  DCS1202 120W 2 x 60
2.  PSC1502 150W 2 x 75

Now for the question.  I figured that going with the 150 Watt amp would only put another 15 Watts RMS on the tweeters and since I never max out the power, it wouldn't be a big deal.  On the other hand, the 120W and would match the max RMS rating for the tweeters and I'd be 10 Watts RMS UNDER the max RMS rating on my CX Series speakers which are rated for 70 Watts Max RMS anyway.

There's a $100 difference in price between the two.  In all reality, what is the difference between those two amps and is it really worth spending the extra for them?   I know their products are top notch and worth every cent.  My speakers are night and day difference since the change.  Thanks!  Bad

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Hawg Wired Amp Comparison - Input please
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:47:17 AM »

Been doing some reading and basically new to this forum.  I just installed the Hawg Wired CX series speakers in my Road Glide.  I've also got the Hog Tunes amp.  It just doesn't get it and I need more power.  Since I've also installed a set of Polk Tweeters after installing my Hawg Wired CX speakers, I've noticed the max RMS on the Polk Tweeters is 60 Watts.

I am looking at two Hawg Wired amps as follows:

1.  DCS1202 120W 2 x 60
2.  PSC1502 150W 2 x 75

Now for the question.  I figured that going with the 150 Watt amp would only put another 15 Watts RMS on the tweeters and since I never max out the power, it wouldn't be a big deal.  On the other hand, the 120W and would match the max RMS rating for the tweeters and I'd be 10 Watts RMS UNDER the max RMS rating on my CX Series speakers which are rated for 70 Watts Max RMS anyway.

There's a $100 difference in price between the two.  In all reality, what is the difference between those two amps and is it really worth spending the extra for them?   I know their products are top notch and worth every cent.  My speakers are night and day difference since the change.  Thanks!  Bad

Welcome to the site from Illinois!  Glad you have joined us...   :2vrolijk_21:

I'd recommend you send a PM  (personal message) to HD-Dude.  He is the site resident expert on your topic...and is a dealer/installer of these systems...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  Sandubar beat me to the answer, and I've sent Jim (HD-Dude) a PM for you.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:59:39 AM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

badbagger

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »

Thanks for the replies and I'll look forward to a reply from Jim.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies and I'll look forward to a reply from Jim.

Bad;
Welcome to the site first of all!

To answer your question(s):

The main difference between the two amps as you have seen is the power output.
The DCS amp is a plug and play unit with no other wiring or adjustment requirements.
The PSC needs a power cable ran to the battery. Also the PSC series amplifier has a
built in adjustable electronic x-over to filter out low frequencies that tend to distort 5.25" speakers.
There is also a sub output that can be used to drive an additional 75 watt amp.
The PSC also has an adjustable gain to match the output of your radio to the amps input.

As for your tweeters I cannot for certain comment on how they would handle the extra power, but from what I have
seen and done they should be ok.
In all honest with the CX speakers and PSC or DCS amp you most likely won't need additional tweeters.

With the additional features and power I would use the PSC amp if you like to tinker with things or want the ability to add later.
The DCS amp is really meant to be a plug and go basic system .
I have installed many of both systems and customers are alway happy with the improvements.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have any other questions and or would like to order an amp. I offer site members a discount as well.

Jim

badbagger

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »

Jim, thank you for taking the time to explain the differences.  It makes sense now.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.