Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Way to Clean The SE Ventilator Filter Element  (Read 3686 times)

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Best Way to Clean The SE Ventilator Filter Element
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

Whats the best way to clean the air filter elemant, the owners manual says to clean it with detergent any recommendations on what kind  or brands to use and what steps to take while doing so?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Best Way to Clean The SE Ventilator Filter Element
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:05:59 PM »

Harley supposedly sells a cleaner product, but I always used good ol' Dawn dishwashing detergent back when I had washable Harley filters.  Works great, especially on oil and grease, and it's very gentle as well.  That's why they use it to clean birds that get caught in oil spills.

I've attached the instructions for cleaning that come as part of the instructions for the Ventilator kit.  Just try to not transfer the dirt from the outside to the inside, and rinse from the inside out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:58:09 PM »

Buy the new K&N from Harley and toss the paper.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:21 AM »

But the K&N does not fit perfectly - I read here on the board
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:34:55 AM »

My K&N fits fine

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »

The K&N on the 09 SERG needs to be trimmed to fit the cover that came with the bike.  I used a Drimmel tool to shave the filter when I installed mine.  It is frustrating to have to "make" thing fit when the should just fit.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »

What exactly does the fit of a K&N have to do with the man's question about cleaning a Harley filter?  I don't remember him asking about a replacement filter, just how to clean the one he has.  Sheeesh.  Always trying to spend other people's money around here. ;)

btw, you also have to clean a K&N, plus you have to re-oil it.  Same method applies to cleaning a K&N, shallow pan, cleaning solution, same warnings about not transfering the dirty crap to the inner surfaces, rinsing, not drying with compressed air, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »

Thanks for the info Jerry! Ive read many of your post and your always very informative!!! I didn't have any Dawn on hand but i did have Joy and also some K&K filter cleaner as well I gave it a few shots of K&N and then let it soak in the Joy sort of a 3to1 soloution Joy and water being careful to keep the level of the soloution to just below the inner lip of the filter to keep the gunk out of the inside, then rinsed with warm tap water from the inside out! this seamed to remove the gunk and caked on dirt but I guess I was hoping miracles because the filter element is now off white to gray in color, and I was expecting BRIGHT WHITE LOL!!!!  As for the K&N when  it ships without complaints from any of the members on this site I will then consider the purchase!!!  NO Offense to anyone but I'm a plug and play kind of guy!
  Again, Thanks Jerry And Keep Posting, Cause Myself and Many Others I'm Sure are reading       Bostonboy "DH"

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.