Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlight adjustment?  (Read 4157 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Headlight adjustment?
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »

Have liked everything about this bike so far.  Until an hour ago.  Can you really only turn the headlight adjustors from the inside?

The clips that hold the headlight housing to the outer fairing are obviously made to be released from the inside.  Simple little squeeze to release.  Adjustor screws go through those clips.

With an appropriate tug will those clips release without being squeezed from the inside (and without breaking either themselves or the fairing material they've clipped to)?  It's a new headlight housing with new not-yet-brittle plastic clips.

Jim, what you wrote a couple nights ago I read as suggesting the housing would just tug forward.  After seeing this one in person now just wanted to confirm that with someone (anyone) who has actually yanked on one before yanking on this one.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Headlight adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

Don;

With the fairing removed I remove the outer plastic bezel, then from the inside I squeeze the clips to release the headlamp assembly. I have not (and would not recommend) pulling the lamp assembly out without releasing the clips from the inside.

There are two holes on the backside of the inner fairing (near the bottom) that will allow you to get to the two lower adjuster screws. You cannot get to the top adjuster with the fairing on but you can access the two lowers with a 1/4 drive socket and wobble extension.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:12:52 AM »

Don;

With the fairing removed I remove the outer plastic bezel, then from the inside I squeeze the clips to release the headlamp assembly. I have not (and would not recommend) pulling the lamp assembly out without releasing the clips from the inside.

There are two holes on the backside of the inner fairing (near the bottom) that will allow you to get to the two lower adjuster screws. You cannot get to the top adjuster with the fairing on but you can access the two lowers with a 1/4 drive socket and wobble extension.

Thanks Jim.  That's what I thought I was seeing here now.  Just misread your post of an evening or two ago and understood it to say the headlight could be removed from the front.  I was reading more than you were writing. 

The holes for the side to side adjustment were in plain sight here.  Just wanted to make sure there was no sneaky way to reach the up and down adjustment that I'd not seen.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:54 AM »

Thanks Jim.  That's what I thought I was seeing here now.  Just misread your post of an evening or two ago and understood it to say the headlight could be removed from the front.  I was reading more than you were writing. 

The holes for the side to side adjustment were in plain sight here.  Just wanted to make sure there was no sneaky way to reach the up and down adjustment that I'd not seen.

You can use the side points for up / down as well, just turn them both equal amounts to raise / lower.... 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:20:31 AM »

You can use the side points for up / down as well, just turn them both equal amounts to raise / lower.... 8)

Dammit.  Never thought of that. 

Wish I'd not walked back out to the garage right after the last post.  Would have saved lifting the fairing on and off NINE times (ok, maybe more like four) to get the headlight where I wanted it.

vagabond6542

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:11:27 AM »

Sneaky...arnt they. :huepfenlol2:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »

Dammit.  Never thought of that. 

Wish I'd not walked back out to the garage right after the last post.  Would have saved lifting the fairing on and off NINE times (ok, maybe more like four) to get the headlight where I wanted it.

:huepfenlol2:Look at it this way, with all that practice you can do it really easily now. ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:35:13 AM »

:huepfenlol2:Look at it this way, with all that practice you can do it really easily now. ;D

That is certainly true Jim.  My hands have learned that "feel" you mentioned for shoe horning this thing back on there now.  Even with the headlight installed it seems to find it's home now.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:20:09 AM »

what, no HID swap while you were in there?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:24:51 AM »

what, no HID swap while you were in there?

The reflector needed replacing no matter what else happened.  The original was flaking.  Nearly blind at night with it. 

This Euro version of the reflector is reported to be significantly better than the DOT required version.  So thought it'd be worth trying.  HID can only make it better.  But I was curious about the incremental steps.  So trying it first with standard bulbs.

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 11:48:50 AM »

Another thing to do while you are in there is to scope out the speakers and change them out with some new ones from HD-Dude.  And maybe an amp.  Sounds like you are near an expert taking off the fairing by now.  Scot
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »

Another thing to do while you are in there is to scope out the speakers and change them out with some new ones from HD-Dude.  And maybe an amp.  Sounds like you are near an expert taking off the fairing by now.  Scot

Already had a set of speakers to go in courtesy of Porthole.  Garage door transmitter also.  Got the HW amp in the other bike.  This one can wait until I've determined just how the bike gets used.  Later the entire assembly will come apart for install of an inner fairing that's painted to match the outer.  Can do anything else I've decided then.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »

Already had a set of speakers to go in courtesy of Porthole.  Garage door transmitter also.  Got the HW amp in the other bike.  This one can wait until I've determined just how the bike gets used.  Later the entire assembly will come apart for install of an inner fairing that's painted to match the outer.  Can do anything else I've decided then.

Yep, that list you started earlier is growing already! :P ;D ;)

I have to fall on my sword and admit I'm varying a little.  But only a little.  Non stock chages will be:

Windshield was too short.  Had to do something taller.  And adding that chrome windshield trim that Harley offers.

The mix of black and chrome on the handlebar mounted parts always drove me nuts on these bikes.  This one is now all chrome.

Changed the ugly bolts on the engine and trans to stainless.  Caliper bolts too.

Installing the EZ Pull clutch thing (but you can't see that so it doens't count; right?).

Installing a garage door opener transmitter inside the fairing (same "you can't see it rule applies).

Will later very likely install the HD security system (hopefully also covered by the "you can't see it" rule)

That's it though.  And don't plan on anything else.  Love the look just the way it's going to set now.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »

That would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »

Not really.  Duane sent the speakers as freebies.  I was in there.  So why not :nixweiss: .

Nothing else has changed or added.  The garage door xmitter was always part of the mix as I feel stupid blinking the lights to only amuse the neighbors.

Don't really anticipate hanging an amp inside there.  Not even going to change out the cassette radio.  Saying that any later decisions will come later when it's all apart was just a courteous way of answering the question of a relatively newer member.  In fact with the delay from that eBay vendor I didn't even put in the ez pull clutch thing.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.