Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should i buy a 2001 harley police bike with 66k miles for $4600?  (Read 2274 times)

goldwing

• Junior CVO Member

I have a chance to buy a 2001 harley police bike (FLH). It runs good but clutch cable / clutch finger / something appears to be broken (clutch lever just pulls in with no resistance). Bike is also missing the plastic saddle bags but has the chrome holders. I just bought a 2000 SERG but thinking maybe I could turn the harley for a few bucks? Any thoughts?

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
Re: Should i buy a 2001 harley police bike with 66k miles for $4600?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:15:34 PM »

Lots of work to make it more than what it is. What's the market for an '01? Since there is so little to work with from the position of "extras" you may be within several hundred bucks of the high retail already-great transportation just need to decide how much time and $ you want to spend visa vie the diminishing returns IMO

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Fat Boy Tim

• CVO1: 03 SERK
    • CVO2: 05 SE Ultra
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »

Police bikes are not Big sellers, that is why they are cheap. You are going to have at least 500 bucks in a set of bags and painting them, Plus what ever else it needs. The bike might net you some profit and it might not with the market like it is. The other thing does the bike have a clean title or is it rebuildable? Check your Local DMV to see if you can even title it in your state. There is a lot more to putting a bike back together than just bolting parts on and remember there is a liability associated with this bike if it has a rebuildable title. Just went through all this with my SE Bananna. Ended up buying a frame and Lots of hidden stuff for it. Just My .02

Tim

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »

Make sure when you replace the clutch cable/lever, you understand that Police bikes have to be clutched to start. It's a "safety feature" read: anti-theft. Make sure you get enough pull to override the kill circuit.

I own an '05 FLHPI. Picked it up with 2500 miles on it. They're only cheap because people think they're ugly. And dealers have a hard time selling bikes with a perception of abuse.

Fact is, those safety cages on the outsides of the hard bags are an add-on to any stock RK. As are the crash bars. Plus the Police bikes have higher output alternators to account for all of the extra lights. So your charging system is very efficient. And...they're meticulously maintained. Most have been dropped as a pursuit technique, so don't let the frame scratches dissuade you. They're also fitted with 1-up tires. You'll want to replace the rear if you plan on a passenger.

For $4600, the bike's worth it for parting out alone. If it runs, take the tins off, have 'em painted up, fix the clutch cable, and snag bags off of ebay or a swap.

You've got a bagger for less than $8k...

Use it as your winter bike.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

goldwing

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »

I told the guy I was going to pass. He had two of them and I said I was thinking about $3k and to call me if we could talk. 

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »

If all the parts are there and it has a legit title, you can't loose no matter what it needs

B B

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.