Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: SERT vs PCIII  (Read 2322 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SERT vs PCIII
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 07:26:46 PM »

That's why I'm doing both Jerry. I'm

Nothing at all wrong with belt and suspenders.  Both bikes here are tuned with the PC.  There's a tuning God local and that's what he uses.  So that's what I do.  No real quesiton here.  But both have underlying tunes that could get the bikes in.

Any part can fail.  I don't doubt at all that the Power Commanders have a higher rate of failure than an onboard stock ECM.  If for no other reason than with the extra harness there's just more to fail. 

They can have electronic failures too though. Just this morning plugged a brand new one in to the SERT.  Bike wouldn't fire.  Not even grunt.  It was a bad new Power Commander right out of the package.  Grabbed another one and off we go though.  Parts is parts....

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »

That's why I'm doing both Jerry. I'm putting in a SERT to change the parameters of the ECM, but not spending hours tuning it. Just a 90-95% tune.

So Howie, why you go 90-95% and not just get the SERT tune?

The PC is "fooling" the ECM, the SERT is adjusting the parameters ................

Other then maybe you don't have a competent tuner available.

I don't, I may take the bike to that guy who was at the NYC bike show, the guy the had the Cheery SEEG on display.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »

So Howie, why you go 90-95% and not just get the SERT tune?

The PC is "fooling" the ECM, the SERT is adjusting the parameters ................

Other then maybe you don't have a competent tuner available.

I don't, I may take the bike to that guy who was at the NYC bike show, the guy the had the Cheery SEEG on display.

That was Andrew Rosa. He alright, but not good enough. I'm doing what Joe wants me to do. To tune the SERT perfectly he'd have to spend hours and hours at it. He can get a 95% tune he tells me within 1-2 hours. The SERT also allows him access to ECM parameters not available to him without the SERT. He's a whiz with the PC. Once he gets a good program in the ECM with the SERT, he said he can get a perfect tune with the PC on top. He said that's the best possible tune I can get. And if the PC fails, at least I can still ride the bike with a 95% SERT tune on my ECM. If no SERT, then I'm towing it if  the PC craps out. But you ain't running a 120 HP motor on a stock ECM program! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »

I know you have a lot of faith in your builder. But from the outside looking in, it just seems like someone trying to double dip ya.

Obviously I never dyno tuned a bike, but I have played around with the SERT  and from past experience with autos I don't understand the need to take such a long time to tune the SERT, especially since you can data log the runs.

If you start nit picking every 10 rpm of every parameter then yes, but I see no reason to get that detailed.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.