Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: My 1st ride with training wheels off  (Read 1118 times)

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
Re: My 1st ride with training wheels off
« on: May 08, 2005, 01:17:10 AM »

Congrats on the first ride.  Pictures are always fun to see when you like to share them.  I whittled down your parts list to keep the tab under 35K, including my zippers/fatcat stage 1++ upgrade.  Thanks again for your time and trouble, it has helped a lot.  My adventure starts with picking mine up on Sat.  I am riding my Triumph Rocket to Tampa on Friday morning and leaving it there for its trailer ride in June to Ashville with my Dad, taking a flight to JAX and AMTRAK to Florence late Friday night.  The Dealer opens up at 7 and I will be there to start the trek home.  I will have 700 miles logged by Sunday night if all goes well and my rear end will be sore but I will sleep better with it in my garage along with all the parts she really needs to make her happy.  I'm taking a camera along and hope to share some pictures of the adventure. After writing this out, I have decided to go a day earlier and give my butt a little time to rest between legs of this trip.  The 1000 miles on a motorcycle in 3 days was a bit aggressive.  This trip will be on a stocker so the suspension/engine/speaker warts should show up and make me happy I spent the dough on the accessories.  I realize I am going nuts about this, must be the Harley mystique? [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
My 1st ride with training wheels off
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 01:20:09 AM »

Well it's been a week ago today I brought my Lil Bananna home so we had a talk this morning and decided today was the day daddy takes the training wheels off. We did not spend much time together this week for several reasons. First of all when I brought her home, after all day at dealer and getting home and showing her off to all the neighbors, Momma and I snuk off for a scoot. We were about 30 miles into our ride and our rear ends were crackin a smile  [smiley=laugh.gif] from the HD Sunray heated seat when I hear a eew, eew, eew. I look out my right mirror and see white smoke, I look down and see my wifes little foot sticking outward with hot oil on it. Oh my gosh! I pull over and don't know which of my babies to tend to first. Just Kidding, after I saw it was my Bananna's oil temp dipstick popped out I made sure my wife was OK. [smiley=shocked2.gif] Kidding, I'm kidding! The wife came first! Anyway, glad I brought some old T shirts to wipe oil off bike but made for a short run as I spent the rest of the evening and part of the early morning getting her ready for church the next day.

Sunday was an awesome day as I spent most all of it with God thanking him for this sweet gift he has allowed me to have. You know the 1st commandment in the bible says " You shall have no other gods before me" Exoudus 20:3. Well in my 7 months waiting I really had to keep myself in check and be careful not to let my excitement for my scoot distract me from God! As you ADDICTS are well aware of.[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

The work week was a busy one but I was able to set today aside for my Lil Bananna. So with only 200 miles on her we set out for a little stroll to get aquainted.

To start with, I believe I was most impressed with the way it handles. She is a rock solid , well balanced, muscle mOchine! [smiley=shocked2.gif]
The 12 1/2" progressives along with the screamin eagle oil in the front shocks create a very comfortable ride and is stupendous in curves. I did not have any problems with my floorboards scraping yet but my switch blade hwy pegs have caught heck. They have a neat lil ball on the bottom and was wondering "what's this for? " Now I know! It pops them bad boys back in place when you turn too sharp.

During the week I removed tour pak and seat and tidy up some wiring and added a DT connector for easier removal of tour pak. Went back with stock seat and backrest and rode for an evening. No comparison, Sunray heated seat back on next day. Put 400 miles in this saddle today and rear end is still crackin a smile. [smiley=laugh.gif] With this seat alls you need is a bigger gas tank and a portApotty! [smiley=shocked2.gif]

I'm thankful for 103's suggestion to check out mirrors before going with fairing mirrors. There will be no fairing mirrors on Bananna. Them big ol fat Chubby ( Wild 1) handlebars with a kick buttocks attitude place them stock mirrors out there that I can see M.White in Texas. Also got great positioning with these bars not once getting a knife between the shoulder blades.

I love the Yellow dash! Did I mention I love the Yellow dash? Months ago I inquired for some samples of different colors of grey dashinators (dash inserts). Don't have to worry about that anymore, aint gonna be any inserts! The red dash lights look so cool at night along with the LED engine, under saddlebag, tourpak, and panecea lights. Put all that on this glow in the dark yellow and you are for sure seen fer 40 miles in a hard rain in dense fog! [smiley=shocked2.gif] Opps, forgot to mention the Kisan Pathblazer headlight modulator. It pulsates the front headlight to be seen durring daylight and a photo sensor automatically turns off at night or you can manually overide during the day.
Actually had 2 people tell me " Dude, somethings wrong with your headlight, it's flashing." I know it's suppose to...." Awe I get it , that's cool man, where do you get it at?" [smiley=nervous.gif]

I see what yall mean about the air temp gauge, it is a waste of material and space. Most definately should be a oil temp gauge and I wouldn't worry about any more oil baths or hearing my precious lil wife..."eew, eew, eew." Gas gauge is funny, not use to yet, had 150 miles on one tank and gas gauge showed 1/2 tank. Put 3.6 gallons in and worked the math at 41.7 miles/gallon.  [smiley=laugh.gif] Absolutly love the 2 trip meters. Can keep up with trip miles and Tank miles, a unexpected pleasure! Also I like the fuel tank in the middle, you just pull up to the pump, my Road King Classic was on left side, with this bike it's no worries mate!

The sound and performance from my screamin eagle pro performance mufflers with cartridge and air filter is just fine with me. I have never seen 100 mile/hr and don't plan to at this time. When I crack the throttle the back end squats down and the front end lightens up and off we go.[smiley=drink.gif] I like to be heard for safety and it works. Heads were turning all day long, ofcourse 20 ft of toilet paper flapping out back of my britches from the last bathroom stop may of had something to do with it! [smiley=nervous.gif]

Thought about 2lane when I cranked up them hogtune speakers, air drummin down the interstate, just as he did comming back from Louisianna. The tunetrapper antenna was a excellent buy until I get an mp3 player that will fit these chubby bars. Gps will also be on my wish list for the future.

What an Awesome day! Thanks God, and thanks to everyone for sharing your knowlege and experience which helped me decide what accessories I was to go with. It was great to get them training wheels off and head out on the hwy..lookin for adventure. Rode in 3 states today, visited 3 dealerships, acknowleged all my fellow brothers and sisters on the hwy, warm sunny day, sunburn, and bugs in my teeth from that smile you couln't knock off my face!! [smiley=laugh.gif] Gods wonderful love to everyone! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

Thanks Mikey for enjoying this day with me! See Ya! [smiley=laugh.gif]

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:27:09 AM »

Awesome Pappy!

You know my heart gets to pumpin hearing about your excitement and your journey. I am sooo happy for you. You have my prayer for safe travel, Enjoy the ride and take plenty of pics because [smiley=worthless.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 04:16:49 PM »

Really enjoyed your first rides stories JR.  You may be having even more fun right off the bat than I did; and I wouldnt' have wagered that that was possible.  Sorry about blowing out the dipstick tube.  Have now heard of several of those temp reading dipsticks doing that.  Hope it wasn't too big a mess to clean up and that the Mrs. wasn't too worried by the incident.

My red bike now has around 7500 or so on it, a few little rock chips, a couple of decent little trips and the visitation of 17 states and the District of Columbia.  It even touched South Carolina during the Maggie Valley weekend and that only left me with North Dakota and Idaho as the only CONUS states I've never ridden through.  But even with the rock chips and a bit of a tired butt a couple of days ago I'm still almost as excited about it as you are with the new yellow machine.  Glad you're having so much fun and congrats !

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:38:14 PM »

Really enjoyed your first rides stories JR.  You may be having even more fun right off the bat than I did; and I wouldnt' have wagered that that was possible.  Sorry about blowing out the dipstick tube.  Have now heard of several of those temp reading dipsticks doing that.  Hope it wasn't too big a mess to clean up and that the Mrs. wasn't too worried by the incident.

My red bike now has around 7500 or so on it, a few little rock chips, a couple of decent little trips and the visitation of 17 states and the District of Columbia.  It even touched South Carolina during the Maggie Valley weekend and that only left me with North Dakota and Idaho as the only CONUS states I've never ridden through.  But even with the rock chips and a bit of a tired butt a couple of days ago I'm still almost as excited about it as you are with the new yellow machine.  Glad you're having so much fun and congrats !

2lane,

You know I remember a couple a few months ago hearing about others having this dipstick blow out. I am aware of the locking mechanism as you turn to release balls for removal. I just installed my dipstick from my old classic when I brought my bananna home and pulled on it and it was on there. I don't know if one of the neighbors turned it or if my wifes foot got it but she sure did blow and puke oil everywhere! Over 2 years and no problems and wasn't aware of it until I read that thread. Got old one in saddlebag and if ever happens again it goes on eBay.

Have you picked up gofastgirls yellow scooter yet? Be nice to see pics of both them colors together. How is our girl doing? Its about time for her to check in. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] See ya Bro, and welcome back home! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »

J.RUD - that was inspiring - like watching new bike owners getting their 1st HD or any bike - it is even better to hear ya know where it ALL comes from and who it ALL belongs to. So where are the pic's of the ride [smiley=worthless.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 04:58:05 PM »

Have you picked up gofastgirls yellow scooter yet? Be nice to see pics of both them colors together. How is our girl doing? Its about time for her to check in. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] See ya Bro, and welcome back home! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

No joy on GoFastGirl's yellow bike yet.  The very latest I've been told is now to expect it around mid June; though apparently this date has changed a little a couple of different times.  We do the the every-several-day quick email exchange but it's been busy over there as the winter lets up and operations tempo increases.  Next to coming back to the world when it's her turn the impending yellow bike is about the biggest thing on her mnd though.  So you can bet she'll log on and post when a little time allows.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.