Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple of questions about my new SS  (Read 1882 times)

Happnin

Couple of questions about my new SS
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »

Couple of questions:

In the owners manual, it says to basically change the oil (after the 500 miler) every 5000 miles. That seems like a lot of miles. Does anybody do it more often? Does everyone reload with CVO Synth 3? How often do you have to add oil?

It also states to put 91 octane gas in 'er. In Arkansas we got 93 (pretty cool). Will higher octane gas hurt it? My guess is no.

Finally, when I check my oil, it's very foamy (got a head on it). Is this normal?

Thanks,

Happ

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Couple of questions about my new SS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »

Welcome to the site lots of info here as for the Syn3 get rid of it lot of guys are useing Mobile 1 or Amsoil  Iam useing Amsoil it has lowered the motor temps  and is a har better oil than the syn3  start reading and you will be informed....

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

Any synthetic will not violate the warranty.  Provided it meets specifications (viscosity).  Most synthetics recommend oil changes every 10,000 miles.  HD errs on the side of caution and $$ to recommend a smaller interval.  93 octane won't hurt as long as it's 91 or higher.  The engines run hot (reason for synthetic lubricants) and the high compression and EFI require premium gas.  Can't comment on the foam.  Is this when it's hot?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Happnin

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »

Yes, thanks for the replies, right after riding it, it's foamy. I'm thinking this is OK.

I'm a gonna stick wit wat the book say.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:37:07 AM »

happnin,  i agree with all above,  foam (bubbles) in the oil is how it's picked up in the engine and returned to the oil tank , normal in all harleys. i change my oil every 2500 miles cheap insurance
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »

Yes, thanks for the replies, right after riding it, it's foamy. I'm thinking this is OK.

I'm a gonna stick wit wat the book say.

It happens in cooler weather. It's the moisture condensing when the oil starts getting warm. Oil temp has to get up to full operating temp to boil off the water. It's not uncommon during breakin if you only keep the bike running for short spurts at a time. You won't see that in warmer weather.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »

Couple of questions:

In the owners manual, it says to basically change the oil (after the 500 miler) every 5000 miles. That seems like a lot of miles. Does anybody do it more often? Does everyone reload with CVO Synth 3? How often do you have to add oil?

It also states to put 91 octane gas in 'er. In Arkansas we got 93 (pretty cool). Will higher octane gas hurt it? My guess is no.

Finally, when I check my oil, it's very foamy (got a head on it). Is this normal?

Thanks,

Happ

Happ,

Oil changes aren't much different on a bike than they are on a car; mileage will vary depending on the conditions.  If you do a lot of short hops that don't get the oil up to full operating temperature, or spend a lot of time sitting in heavy traffic and running hot, or various other "severe service" conditions, you will want to change it more often.  If you do mostly long highway runs, you could actually change it less often if you stick with top grade synthetics.  The best advice during the warranty period, however, is to use the 5000 interval as the maximum.  And if you store your bike over the winter, change it regardless of mileage right before you store it.

The octane requirement is a minimum recommendation; anything in the 91 to 93 range normally available in the USA is OK.

I would imagine that the "foam" on the oil is due to the oil pump mixing in a little air as it scavenges the return oil and sends it to the tank.  It shouldn't cause a problem.  Assuming you change to a better oil at some point in the future, you may see an improvement in this.  Motor oil has anti-foaming additives, and some are better than others.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »

the oil pump sucks oil and air from two places(three if you the count the relief valve)constantly mixing then on there way back to the oil tank ,  hoist is right about hotter temps because the foam/bubbles dissipates/pops quicker when hot,  but there will always bubbles

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »

Most of the "all knowing gurus" on this site recommend dino oil for the first 500 then Amsoil...there are studies out there comparing all of the oils and their properties.  I would use Amsoil as it seems to be the best and when you have such a beautiful prize y not get the best, but I "settle" for #2 Mobil 1 V-Twin.  I am mainly the regurg guy learning as I go...but they give you great info here and then go out and read more.

L8R

seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:44:45 AM »

mobil 1 v-twin here

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »

i believe u should ride a minumun 50miles to burn off the water molecules that build up in the oil, not always practical but atleast once a week enjoy a longer ride

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.