Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire guts Route 66 landmark cafe in Stroud  (Read 754 times)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Fire guts Route 66 landmark cafe in Stroud
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »

Associated Press

STROUD, Okla. - A fire has gutted the historic Rock Cafe restaurant along Route 66 in Stroud.

Emergency dispatcher Natasha Reedy said the fire was extinguished about an hour after it was reported about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday.

No one was in the building at the time. The fire marshal has been called to help determine the cause of the blaze.

The Rock Cafe was built in 1939 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

This was an awesome cafe on old Rt. 66 about 40 miles from my house.  Great place to eat.  Sad that it is gone.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Fire guts Route 66 landmark cafe in Stroud
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »

Associated Press

STROUD, Okla. - A fire has gutted the historic Rock Cafe restaurant along Route 66 in Stroud.

Emergency dispatcher Natasha Reedy said the fire was extinguished about an hour after it was reported about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday.

No one was in the building at the time. The fire marshal has been called to help determine the cause of the blaze.

The Rock Cafe was built in 1939 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

This was an awesome cafe on old Rt. 66 about 40 miles from my house.  Great place to eat.  Sad that it is gone.

Dang I hate that. Just glad I got the chance to eat there last year.
Shurley they`ll rebuild it.

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »

Me too, neat place, was there last Sept. Hope they rebuild.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:18:45 PM »

I have not heard for sure if they will try to rebuild.  From what I understand the rock walls are still standing, so may be able to rebuild and maintain to 1939 look of the building.

One interesting note:  The waitress, "Flo" in the Pixar movie "Cars" was inspired by the owner of the Rock Cafe, Dawn Welch.  The creators or writers (whichever) were traveling Rt 66 and stopped in the Rock Cafe and meet Dawn while dinning there. 

The creator of the "Cars" movie actually did some quick art work with a magic marker on the bathroom wall at the Rock Cafe of Buzz Lightyear (another Pixar character) while there.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0CE1D8123EF932A15756C0A9609C8B63

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.