Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Banana Owner  (Read 2798 times)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
Re: New Banana Owner
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 07:49:57 AM »

Was wondering how the nostalgic saddlebag guard rails would look. LOOKS GOOD! [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Let's see more pics.

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

lvrider

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »

JR,

I'm glad you like the nostalgia rails.  There's only 2 drawbacks to these rails.  First, the color matched saddlebag filler inserts no longer fits with the rails on.  I haven't studied it yet, but there must be a way to modify the inserts so they can be put back on.  Secondly, the dealer must have installed them incorrectly as the rails are not parallel to the bags...it's either too low in the front or the rear is too high.  In my zeal in seeing the bike for the first time at the dealership, I didn't even notice it until I got home.  Attached is a picture of the rails.  If you have any solutions, let me know.

lvrider

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 11:02:24 AM »

lvrider

I can see what your talking about. I had them on my roadking classic and did not remember there to be any adjustment. I am going riding today with the guy that bought my old bike and will look a little closer at them. You might get a better picture of the back mounting for suggestions on the rails and filler. With out seeing or being able to remember, why couldn't you notch out or remove some of the lower section of the filler to fit? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

I'm sure one of our Rocket Scientists will be able to fix you right up! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 11:37:27 AM »

lvrider

I can see what your talking about. I had them on my roadking classic and did not remember there to be any adjustment. I am going riding today with the guy that bought my old bike and will look a little closer at them. You might get a better picture of the back mounting for suggestions on the rails and filler. With out seeing or being able to remember, why couldn't you notch out or remove some of the lower section of the filler to fit? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

I'm sure one of our Rocket Scientists will be able to fix you right up! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Harley makes a couple different filler strips available.  Pieces with or without the space to clear the bar mounting.  Even a full chrome piece that clears the bar mountings if I remember right.  Check with MWhite.  That's Mike from Texas.

He's had the same bars on for awhile now.  Perhaps he can give you some insights.

I'd thought about putting those bars on also but in the end chose not to for one reason primarily.  With the saddlebag spoiler lights installed and the harness hidden as effectively as I've got it hidden below the strut it is a bit easier to unplug the wire connector by leaning the saddlebag out just a bit.  Couldn't do that with these (or any other) bars installed.

Also had them on my last Road King and there's not any adjustment in the rear.  You can raise or lower the front just a bit though.  Just loosen the clamp that goes around the rear crash bar.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:39:43 AM by twolanerider »

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 07:54:32 PM »

Lvrider, congrats, I pick up mine Fri, been waiting on the gearset for 3 weeks, bike has been sitting at the dealer all the time.
Want to mention something you should watch.  The bag guards, bumpers, whatever they call em now, can be a problem.  Keep an eye on the weld that holds the piece to the back crash guard.  I have had several of them on bikes, and it seems the weld tends to fracture.  If you don't notice it, when it happens, it can allow the tube to disengage, and rub against the saddlebag.  It doesn't take many miles for it to not only chew the paint up, but put a nasty gouge in the bag itself.  
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »

JR,

I'm glad you like the nostalgia rails.  There's only 2 drawbacks to these rails.  First, the color matched saddlebag filler inserts no longer fits with the rails on.  I haven't studied it yet, but there must be a way to modify the inserts so they can be put back on.  Secondly, the dealer must have installed them incorrectly as the rails are not parallel to the bags...it's either too low in the front or the rear is too high.  In my zeal in seeing the bike for the first time at the dealership, I didn't even notice it until I got home.  Attached is a picture of the rails.  If you have any solutions, let me know.

lvrider

I went through 3 sets of these before I got one that lined up correctly on my Road King. Then after about six months the weld broke as Striker stated. Harley doesn't warranty parts for more than 30 days so I bought another set as once they are on the mark the chrome up pretty bad on the rear crash bar. They again broke at the welds. This was a year ago so maybe HD has correctd the problem [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 11:32:04 PM »

No, they haven't.  I checked for my new SEEG, and they are the same.  What happens, is they only weld 1/2 of the anchor point.  The other side is then attached with allen screws.  The only way I kept the welds from cracking within a few thousand miles was to cut a piece of innertube to fit around the crash bar.  This seems to soften the vibration, and protects the chrome on the crash bar.  Still am not going to chance it on the new ride.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.