Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 110 Engine  (Read 4760 times)

Rockin Rider

Re: 110 Engine
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

I'm new to Harleys and this forum. Over the years I've had BSA's and Triumphs, and my last ride was a Boss Hoss ZZ4. They all had their problems, but now it's 2008. We have a right to expect much better design, engineering, and manufacturing for all bikes. I've been considering buying my first HD - an 08 Fat Boy with the 110 package. However, after reading the HD forums for the last few months, I'll wait till July-August to see what improvements the MoCo offers for 09. With today's computer designs and high-tech engineering capability, we all expect A1 products, and deserve them. It's mind-blowing to hear about recurring problems that a manufacturer should address and fix - permanently. My advice - do what should be done when encountering any faulty product or service from any company - call, write, and e-mail the head office. A few communications don't do much, but when a company gets thousands, they have to respond.  8)

Keep on thunderin'!

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 04:10:12 AM »

What has been the failure on the motors, all the same or different each time?

:indian_chief:

Utimately, flywheel runout was the villian. When the runout gets to a certain point the oil light comes on, power drops and it sounds like the motor is running with marbles in it. The damage made the cam plate impossible to remove. I have 5000 miles on the current motor.

Pagoda64

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 07:44:14 AM »

08 Fatboy with 110 package?? It comes with the 105th ann..., but not the 110. It is stock with the 96ci.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 04:59:09 PM »

I'm on my motor # 4, my dealer has it down to a science, the last 3 motors were crated and sent back to HD and HD trans-shipped a new crated motor when the dealer notified them of the failure. My dealer works 7 days per week, thus, motor failure to riding out of the dealer with the new motor is 4 days.

this is the most changeouts i've heard of. hope it works out for ya.

the moco will use psychological warfare on ya if yer weak.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

i have quite the file on my 110 motor(s), as they have too. :coolblue:

wonder if i could get a tour of there war room??....

:drink: :drink:

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

SPW

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »

Wish i had taken my bike to Ur dealer I'm not getting a new motor only parts
  Steve

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »

I had an early 1999 TC and paid close attention to the failures. I heard of some, but it was nothing like the failure rate of the 110s.

:indian_chief:

I agree, the only engine problems I've had with my '01 was the F@#$%ing Magnetti-Marelli FI.
FINALLY got that solved with the Zippers kit.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »

Wish i had taken my bike to Ur dealer I'm not getting a new motor only parts
  Steve

HD may have changed the program once they captured enough of the failed motors back for evaluation. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »

HD may have changed the program once they captured enough of the failed motors back for evaluation. 

My dealer as well as the tech are in the dark with changes and or improvements made to the crated motors shipped to them by HD. Therefore, with the dealer and the tech not knowing the changes and or improvements, neither can state such have been made, thus, HD is controlling the spread of information pertaining to the 110.

Also, I believe the size of the dealership has a lot to do with Harley Davidsons willingness to send mutiple crated motors to a dealer.

BigMo

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 04:01:01 AM »

Hate to even go here, but.....I have a 07 FXDSE with the infamous 110 motor. About 3k miles on it now. Have been constantly inspecting for head gasket leaks, and so far, knock on metal, no issues or symptoms. However, my buddy was over recently, with his 07 SE Ultra. We were talking about the bikes, and I mentioned to him about the well noted rear cylinder problems, especially with the baggers. Well low and behold, he had just got the thing back from the local dealer, after his 3k or 5k service or something. He had been having power issues, and sure enough, the rear head gasket was blown. They fixed it and he is back on the road. We looked at the two motors, his and mine, and with the fairing pods and such, its easy to see that the rear jug would be starved of cooling air when in operation, compared to my Dyna where the jugs are out in the slipstream so to speak. I hope he doesnt continue to have problems, cause its a nice hot rod. So far my Dyna with a minor SERT tune and aftermarket pipes/air filter has had no issues. I am starting to get freaked about the crank run out, to the point of maybe pulling the pipes and cam cover and verifiying it myself. This is out of subject, but the bike would be a hoot with ported heads, more cam, and pump the comp. up to 10 at least. Thats in the plans.

BigMo
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.166 seconds with 25 queries.