Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERK Windshield...  (Read 937 times)

Sean M Cary

SERK Windshield...
« on: June 02, 2008, 04:15:59 PM »

I have a bit taller then stock windshield - and I need suggestions for a new one. 

I am getting the snot beat out of my head by the wind, and actually preferred riding w/o the windshield...  Putting my hand up while I am riding, the wind is hitting me smack in the head.

How do I determine how tall a windshield I need?  :nixweiss:    Is it as simple as adding 3-4 inches over what I have?  Or does and extra inch add more deflection?

I am 6'6 so I am way up there... :vrolijk27:

Sean

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: SERK Windshield...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:43:32 PM »

http://www.clearviewshields.com/

Nice stuff, I think there is a 10% cvo deduck...

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »

I have a bit taller then stock windshield - and I need suggestions for a new one. 

I am getting the snot beat out of my head by the wind, and actually preferred riding w/o the windshield...  Putting my hand up while I am riding, the wind is hitting me smack in the head.
How do I determine how tall a windshield I need?  :nixweiss:    Is it as simple as adding 3-4 inches over what I have?  Or does and extra inch add more deflection?

I am 6'6 so I am way up there... :vrolijk27:

Sean
I have the same issue on my 08 SERK at 6'4. My Corbin will hopefully be here soon so I can then get in touch with clearview and look into their suggestions. I too prefer to ride sans windshield.  :2vrolijk_21:

Howie

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »

Checking the Height:

1) On a level surface, place an object on the ground 50 feet in front of your bike
      2) Sit on your bike in your normal riding position
      3) Your line of sight should go just over the top edge of the shield while looking at the object
      4) If you do not have a level surface, the top edge of the shield should be at nose level
      5) You want to just look over the top edge by about 1”-2” so it is not directly in your view

this is the rough guidelines I needed... 

Not bad in the price range either - guess I can sell the current one and have it defray some of the cost of the new one!

Sean

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »

+1 on what florida Marine said - I used a broom stick or yard stick to measure from the end of my nose to the windshield and my wife measured the height on where the windshield should be. Less buffeting!!!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »

I had a dealer show me a different way to determine height for a windshield. He mounted a king size shield and had my lady sit on her scoot, straight and level on an even surface. Next he sprayed a white cleaner on the windshield obstructing her view. He wiped away the cleaner until she was just looking over the edge of the cleaner. 1 quick measurement and he was done. Took about 2 minutes.

JW

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 26 queries.