Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: T-Max for 08 ??  (Read 996 times)

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
T-Max for 08 ??
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »

I searched through the threads but found nothing current. Has any-one heard whether T-Max has a new ECM for the 08 110s with TBW (or when we can expect to see one).
Thanks in advance
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: T-Max for 08 ??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »

I've sent Thundermax 3 emails and left 1 voice message trying to ask them this question. They haven't answered either emails or voice mail. So Thundermax can kiss my back side..

I talked to Chris at Daytona Twin Tec regarding an 08 version with his products, he said they have auto tunes for 08 models without the throttle by wire. He also said DTT will not develop an auto tune for the TBW bikes, mainly due to liability issues with the TBW, which he does not think much of. I would think Thundermax wont either. When you think about it, it is a risky liability. Just a matter of time and we will hear of serious accidents caused by the TBW control.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »

I've sent Thundermax 3 emails and left 1 voice message trying to ask them this question. They haven't answered either emails or voice mail. So Thundermax can kiss my back side..

I talked to Chris at Daytona Twin Tec regarding an 08 version with his products, he said they have auto tunes for 08 models without the throttle by wire. He also said DTT will not develop an auto tune for the TBW bikes, mainly due to liability issues with the TBW, which he does not think much of. I would think Thundermax wont either. When you think about it, it is a risky liability. Just a matter of time and we will hear of serious accidents caused by the TBW control.

ETC, or throttle by wire, has been a relative non-issue in the automotive arena.  This is because there are several layers of redundancy built into the system.  For instance, if you look closely at the accelerator pedal on most ETC units you will find two parallel sensors, not just one.  There are also different levels of "limp home" mode in the software, from reduced power to idle only, and constant query and response testing by the control module.  Of course, like everything else in life there is always the possibility of a certain number of failures.  BTW, plenty of old style throttles have stuck open or had cable failures over the years, without the assistance of electronics.

I can understand an aftermarket company not wanting to expose themselves to liability in areas where they aren't fully comfortable.  Right now they look at the potential downside and take a pass.  However, in the future that won't be an option if they want to stay in the ECM replacement business.  ETC will eventually be the new standard, and throttle cables will be just a memory.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated !
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.