Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil filter removal  (Read 1000 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Oil filter removal
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »

What kind of removal tool do you use to remove the oil filter. Just trying to find the best way to remove w/o damaging the crank sensor..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
Re: Oil filter removal
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »

I use a filter wrench that is shaped like a C. It has a short handle and when you put presure on the handle it closes the jaws. The wrench says Jaws Filter Wrench on it. One tip that twolane gave a while back is to take a 2 liter plastic bottle and cut it to where it slides in under the filter. It catches the oil that drains while you remove the filter. That way you don't have a pool of oil that collects in the oil cooler cover.

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

You can buy a end cap ($20.00 Custom Chrome or Drag) that has a notch section cut out to give you clearance around the sensor. Little bit of a hassle to use but not bad. You get about 1/4 turn between resetting the placement of the tool. I've used the jaw tool and think the Custom Chrome version is a little easier to use. Also i had a neat tool that allows you to drain the oil filter but learned a little trick while using it. Place a paper plate made funnel below the oil filter and take a large punch and wake a good size hole at the bottom end of the filter. Much easier to funnel the oil from the back of the filter then the old way at the beginning. The oil drains easily fast and no mess.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »

What kind of removal tool do you use to remove the oil filter. Just trying to find the best way to remove w/o damaging the crank sensor..

DEWD!  I quit using MOCO filters, but I still have my Kent Moore filter wrench with the notch for the CKP.  PM me if you want it cheap plus shipping.

Henry

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »

Use a K&N Oil Filter and just use a regular ratchet & socket to remove! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »

Use a K&N Oil Filter and just use a regular ratchet & socket to remove! ;)

Hoist! 8)

you can score the K&N's on eBay for 10 and change plus shipping - and most will combine shipping.

I have a few MOCO filters left and intend to change to the K&N, filter removal is a PIA.

I have a three finger wrench I got at Autozone that I was able to use to get the MOCO filter off.

Sean

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »

you can score the K&N's on eBay for 10 and change plus shipping - and most will combine shipping.

I have a few MOCO filters left and intend to change to the K&N, filter removal is a PIA.

I have a three finger wrench I got at Autozone that I was able to use to get the MOCO filter off.

Sean

Looping a leather belt so it tightens when pulled will serve the same purpose.  Since I've switched to K&N, all I need is a 17mm socket, extension, and ratchet handle.  Works good.  Lasts a long time.

Now.........who wants my Kent Moore oil filter removal tool?   ;D

sedyna08

• CVO1: 08 fxdse2 Blue
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »

Just done my first oil change and used the filter wrench from drag specialties ($10) and did the trick with the zip lock bag where you loosen the filter then slip over a zip lock bag around the filter then let it drop into the bag .
''It does'nt matter how hot they are, someone somewhere is sick of her chit"

Lawman85

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.