Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How many miles per quart of oil do you get?  (Read 7736 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: How many miles per quart of oil do you get?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »

I've expereinced some oil usage with my '06 SE Ultra.  Last September it was using oil and people following me could smell it burning oil.  Valve seals were bad and were replaced.  I didn't do much riding after the seals were replaced as old man winter came.  This spring I changed the oil and immediately noticed the oil down on the dip stick, plus I could smell oil while cruising on the bike.  Took it back to the dealer and the plugs were fine so we figured the valve seals were not the problem.  Checked the air filter and it had a lot of oil in it.  They said I must have over filled it.  I try not to but I may of had it to the full line.  At this time it was down about half way on the dip stick.  They told me leave it at that level and check it again in 500 miles.  I now have almost 900 miles on it and it might be down just a tiny bit from when the dealer checked it but not much.  I just think that full on my bike is half way up the dip stick.  Any more and it's going to blow it out the air filter.

I have been told that in high temps that synthetic will just disappear to some degree.  Anyone know anything about this?  By the way, I'm using Amsoil.

Depending on what you're considering high temps.  One of synthetic oil benefits is that it can withstand heat over 300 degrees.  I've never heard of synthetics vaporizing under high heat.  I would think to cause vaporization the temps would have to be very extreme.   :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »

I put about 4300 miles on my scoot in the last 3 months. I have close to 18,000 on the bike total. My oil light came on last week and it was a quart low. This was the first time The light has ever come on. Never worried about oil usage before. Just had Big Shot true duals installed and made a trip up to the Adironacks. That was a 900 mile trip mostly highway, 70 to 75 mph. I'm having the baffles changed on the pipes and the oil changed next week . I'll keep an eye on it.  :nixweiss:   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Lennyiti

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »

Well I pulled the plugs last night and the front was looking nasty with oil burned on it and the rear was just starting to acquire some build up on it. So back to the dealer it goes again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »

I put about 4300 miles on my scoot in the last 3 months. I have close to 18,000 on the bike total. My oil light came on last week and it was a quart low. This was the first time The light has ever come on. Never worried about oil usage before. Just had Big Shot true duals installed and made a trip up to the Adironacks. That was a 900 mile trip mostly highway, 70 to 75 mph. I'm having the baffles changed on the pipes and the oil changed next week . I'll keep an eye on it.  :nixweiss:   

Fuzz, your concern is potentially different than you're describing here.  The oil light isn't for volume it's for oil pressure.  And a quart low on the dipstick really shouldn't effect oil pressure.  If you're seeing the oil pressure warning light that is warning of a potentially significant problem.  It needs to be checked out.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:22:19 AM »

Oh boy, the light came on for about two seconds when I was getting on the Highway and then it went off. It has'nt come back on scince. What else I have noticed is when I initially turn the switch on to start and wait for the two lights to go off ( oil and security) I start the bike. And then the oil light come back on for about two to three seconds and then shuts off. I really never noticed that before I hope it's normal.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »

Oh boy, the light came on for about two seconds when I was getting on the Highway and then it went off. It has'nt come back on scince. What else I have noticed is when I initially turn the switch on to start and wait for the two lights to go off ( oil and security) I start the bike. And then the oil light come back on for about two to three seconds and then shuts off. I really never noticed that before I hope it's normal.

Just a moment at start up I'd be less concerned about (though not totally unconcerned) than I would the loss of pressure while (or at least reported loss of pressure) while getting on the highway.  Definitely pay close attention.  And any oil pressure concern is worth getting checked out right away.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »

Thanks I'll stop by the shop tomorrow and talk to the mechanic whom I can trust pretty well.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.