Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Split Handelbars  (Read 1101 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Split Handelbars
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »

My wife and I went for short ride up Auburn Ravine Canyon this afternoon. When we got back home she made comment about something funky with her handlebars. She rides a 2004 Pumpkin CVO. I got on the seat closed the front brake and started bouncing. O-My-God... the right bar totally collapsed, and we also now have an nice nick on the right side of inner fairing too. I removed the fairing cover and found the bars completely separated into two pieces near the wiring loom. These are the stock factory bars, bike has 8,000 miles. I have a feeling these things were made in Twain. Well thank god we made it home and no mishaps.. Do any of you have suggestions for a good quality replacement bar with the same reach dimensions as the stock bars??
Anyone else experience this?? this is crazy..

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: Split Handelbars
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:20:28 AM »

My wife and I went for short ride up Auburn Ravine Canyon this afternoon. When we got back home she made comment about something funky with her handlebars. She rides a 2004 Pumpkin CVO. I got on the seat closed the front brake and started bouncing. O-My-God... the right bar totally collapsed, and we also now have an nice nick on the right side of inner fairing too. I removed the fairing cover and found the bars completely separated into two pieces near the wiring loom. These are the stock factory bars, bike has 8,000 miles. I have a feeling these things were made in Twain. Well thank god we made it home and no mishaps.. Do any of you have suggestions for a good quality replacement bar with the same reach dimensions as the stock bars??

wow!  glad it worked out ok

there were a few posts with some cracked bars at one point and i think someone had one snap on them too....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:20:41 AM »

Just the thought of that is frightening.  Very sorry you've got the problem to contend with.  Thank fortune the bike got home in close enough to one piece to still be controlled.

The most common replacement to the OE handlebars come from a company called Wild1.  It's their model 575.  Good luck with getting it fixed in short order.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:33:12 AM »

I am very thankful that your wife made it home without incident.  That had to be a very scary experience.

I have both seen and heard of handle bars breaking as you describe.  The common cause on the ones I am aware of seems to be that the bikes had recently been trailered and had the front end tied down by the handlebars.  With the internal wiring, the bars have a natural weak spot where the wiring comes out of the bars, and the tension created by the tie down force cracked the bars at this weak spot....

Again, glad it was only a close call and everyone is alright...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 06:38:28 AM »

Auburn Ravine?  Where are you from, the Sacramento area? :nixweiss:  I can't imagine riding up there in those twisties with a broken bar......she's a very lucky lady.

hd-dude has been installing an aftermarket set of bars on the SEEGs here in Nor Cal.  I think they're Chubbys.  They're the same height, but a more comfortable angle bend, for the hands.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:55:23 AM »

I am very thankful that your wife made it home without incident.  That had to be a very scary experience.

I have both seen and heard of handle bars breaking as you describe.  The common cause on the ones I am aware of seems to be that the bikes had recently been trailered and had the front end tied down by the handlebars.  With the internal wiring, the bars have a natural weak spot where the wiring comes out of the bars, and the tension created by the tie down force cracked the bars at this weak spot....

Again, glad it was only a close call and everyone is alright...
That is some good information! I have always tied the front to the bars, that will stop as of now. Again thank you for that bit of wisdom!!!!!!!
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »

I replaced the two seperate clamps on mine with a single top clamp just for that very reason. I had a 63 Hydra Glide snap the bars once. Its scary.

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »

HD has had many instances of broken bars that is why they went to a single piece top clamp on all the 08 glides.
When you change the bars replace the 2 single top clamps with a 1 piece steel top clamp.
The HD part number is 55917-08 $16.76 out of Chicago HD.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:39:48 PM »

After you buy the one piece steel top clamp go out and buy a lottery ticket... you must have a horseshoe somewhere!!! :2vrolijk_21:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »

I replaced the bars with a set of Flanders Ultras. They have a little more reach then stock and she prefers this so she is a happy camper. The bars were cracked for some time and may have been during the warranty period. There were several corroded stress cracks apparent around the wire loom area. When I jumped on the bars they broke loose and this area had a dull alumn look with stress lines. Doesn't seem the steel material was up to par. The Flanders have a good reputation and was the only thing i could find in Sacramento area. She got a set of heated grips out this deal.. Her birthday is next Friday so I threw in an early B-Gift.

I have never had the bike on a trailer so I have do idea how these bars got stressed. I don't think the material in this set of bars was ever up to par. Like most of you suggested, we are chalking this episode up as lucky and plan to add Handlebars on an annual inspection routine.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.