Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My tombstone tail light has been declared dead!  (Read 3697 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
My tombstone tail light has been declared dead!
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »

I was out riding my 08 SERK tonight to get the week out of my head. Got to my ladies home and decided to wipe the scoot off before putting her to bed. To my surprise my tombstone tail light was hanging off the fender. The gasket which was stuck to the fender, was the only reason the light and lens was still there.

All three plastic threaded post had broken off the mounting bracket mounted on the fender. I do not have access to a camera but will post some later. The gorilla that attached this torqued all the screws down hard enough to crack the plastic. Just add some miles with vibration and voila bust piece.

So now I have to replace the ignition switch (cover dent broke so cover flaps) and the sexy tombstone tail light. Not bad for a $30,000 machine. >:(

JW
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:11:45 PM by Black Diamond 110 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: My tombstone tail light has been declared dead!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »

I was out riding my 08 SERK tonight to get the week out of my head. Got to my ladies home and decided to wipe the scoot off before putting her to bed. To my surprise my tombstone tail light was hanging off the fender. The gasket which was stuck to the fender, was the only reason the light and lens was still there.

All three plastic threaded post had broken off the mounting bracket mounted on the fender. I do not have access to a camera but will post some later. The gorilla that attached this torqued all the screws down hard enough to crack the plastic. Just add some miles with vibration and voila bust piece.

So now I have to replace the ignition switch (cover dent broke so cover flaps) and the sexy tombstone tail light. Not bad for a $30,000 machine.

And don't forget that you needed to build an engine for it too! HD QC never ceases to amze me these days! ::) >:( ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »

And don't forget that you needed to build an engine for it too! HD QC never ceases to amze me these days! ::) >:( ;)

Hoist! 8)

I think Jeff already has the new engine behind him, Howie...

Jeff - what the heck happened to your ignition switch?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »

I think Jeff already has the new engine behind him, Howie...

Jeff - what the heck happened to your ignition switch?

That's what I meant to imply. I guess it wasn't worded so well. Besides an ignition switch cover, and rear tombstone light, he had to build an engine too! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:52:39 AM »

Hi Scott

The cover with the Custom Vehicle Operation logo lasered on it will not stay closed. There is a metal pointed stud that slips into a slot which has a spring loaded piece that latches on to the stud to keep the lid closed. When I opened the latch last week to go riding, the stud pull out of place staying lodged in the lower half of the lignition switch. Now the cover lies on top of the switch by means of it's own weight. Hit a good sized bump, which of course is hard to do in Illinois LOL, and the cover bounces.

My 03 Fat Boy has never gone to the shop for one warranty problem. Sometimes I wonder if I just shouldn't cut my loses and get the FB back from my daughter and put some money in that engine.   Naw, I love this bike but my faith in HD is shaken. They really do need to look at their business practices.

Hey Howie
Yep, they can't even get their cylinders right at this time. I hope they wake up soon before they go down the tubes. Like most large coorperations, HD will have to crash to the bottom before they see the light. Come on HD, I still love riding your scooters, get it together.

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:02:09 PM »

Went to Gutterridge HD today for some work on my lady's scooter. Told Andy (SM) about the tail light.  He immediately goes out to look at it. Comes in and orders a new one. Then he leaves, returns from hardware store with couple of longer machine screw with washers. Chrome no less! Couple of minutes later the temp fix is complete. The lens is snuggly attached. He simply thought this was the right thing to do. I really like this shop and the people that make it run.

He smirks and advises my lady and a friend that was riding with us not to ride to close behind me as the tombstones are known for vibrating enough to cause the plastic mount to crack which allows the lens assembly to become a projectile. This is another one of those problems the MoCo knows about but has not corrected by using metal instead of plastic for the mount. He shakes his head in bewilderment at some of the things the MoCo does.

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »

That's what I meant to imply. I guess it wasn't worded so well. Besides an ignition switch cover, and rear tombstone light, he had to build an engine too! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hey Howie - that's what I get for trying to read early on Saturday morning without putting my reading glasses on.  You were clear - I misread what you wrote...   umph!  sucks getting old...   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:52:32 PM »

Update on the SERK tombstone taillights. I have not gotten my replacement yet. It seems they are coming off with such frequency that the MoCo has decided they need to be redesigned. When it comes in I see if I can determine what they did to fix it.

JW

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »

So now I have to replace the ignition switch (cover dent broke so cover flaps) and the sexy tombstone tail light. Not bad for a $30,000 machine. >:(

JW
I had a burned out brake light bulb. WHen I replaced it, saw 2 of the plastic posts were broken off. Got the new light in, the bike had to be put on the lift, rear tire loosened to get under the fender to undo the bolts holding the plastic assembly for the tail light. The MoCo dont make nothing easy.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »

The one on my broke when i was taking it off to install the Tombstone LED, called dealer,cost is 98.00, they had to order it and said it was under warranty so as quick fix used crazy glue gel, so far so good and have had the tail light off once since then, but i'm sure it won't last long.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.