Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aftermarket Mufflers for '09 Models  (Read 1452 times)

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Aftermarket Mufflers for '09 Models
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »

Okay, I have a SERG (Silver) on order with a ship date of 8/14.

I went to the dealership today to try to organize/order my performance upgrades so they will be ready to go once the bike arrives.  I'm adding a Super Tuner, Heavy Breather intake, and a set of slip on mufflers.  The mufflers seem to be a problem.  The techs aren't sure if any of the aftermarket (Rinehart, V&H, etc) will fit on the new '09 exhaust.  Hopefully they'll get it sorted out before my bike arrives.  Anyone have any first hand experience of what will or won't work? I know the entire exhaust systems haven't been developed yet but I'm hoping that there is an interim muffler solution out there somewhere that will make the bike sound like a Harley. Thanks.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
Re: Aftermarket Mufflers for '09 Models
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »

I was told that when HD came out with the 96" , pipes were not avalable for a few months, so would stand to reason you may have to wait a bit for pipe makers to catch up.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

cvo guy

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 fltrsei2
    • CVO2: 2002 flhrsei
    • CVO3: 2003 fxstdse
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »

The after market people are at work right now, getting slip on mufflers and full pipes to dealers asap, no body wants to miss out on making a buck!!!!!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »

I would change out the factory headers and mufflers as a whole and possibly the mounting arrangements are still the same. Last sunday afternoon i was at a dealership and the service tech said that 2008 headers and mufflers look like they would work on 2009 models. 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:19:32 PM »

Another thing you have to consider with a 2009 SERG like you want is that they have the saddlebag extentions and the mufflers are surrounded by those extensions. I don't know if they have new design to the mounts but you will have to consider the overall diameter of any muffler you install. I would give the header and collector pipes a chance since it may do a better job of keeping you cool and may be an improvement as far as the rear pipe cracking vs. older models. Maybe a set of slip on mufflers of the right diameter would help you out?
I would give it some time if it was me since I really don't want to be the test mule for some exhaust company.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »

I'm looking at the new 2009 accessory catalog and see several muffler options to choose for 2009 bikes. It does appear options are specific to 2009 models so looks like there were changes, maybe in mounting???

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:03 PM »

I'm sure with the redesigned pipes the mounting will be different from earlier years. Again as far as I know the SERG is the only model with saddlebag extensions so it's mufflers and mounts could be unique and not one size fits all.  :nixweiss:
Maybe the one or two people who own one will see your post and speak up soon?

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:18:56 AM »

One of the techs at the dealership grabbed a Rinehart slip on muffler and measured it against one of the '09 touring models on the floor.  He said the mounting points look to be slightly different but thought it would still work.  He said there's no way to be sure until you put the bike up on the rack.  The SERG is set up to accommodate a 4.0" muffler, but according to the tech, the 3.5" will work as well.  I've still got 2-3 weeks until my bike arrives so hopefully there will be some more definitive information by then.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »

With the new redesigned frame it may not work.  The overall length was extended as a result (by 1/2" I believe).  I wouldn't count on new pipes anytime soon.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.