Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refurbished radio replacement  (Read 1525 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Refurbished radio replacement
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »

I've had a problem with my '08 SE Ultra's CD player skipping since I bought the bike last year.  I'm picking it up today after having the "product enhancement program" done to it.

When the service tech called me to tell me my bike was ready, he mentioned that they put a refurbished radio in my bike.  I figured a new bike should have a new radio and not a refurbished one.  Maybe this will be alright though because they'll have something that works.

My question is whether I should have received a new unit, or is it proper to get a refurbished one?   :nixweiss:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Re: Refurbished radio replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »

Its common in the automotive business to have a replacement radio like you have described, one thing you may not know is that quite often it really is a new radio.  The mfr has to have a stock of radios to start with and some of the damaged ones returned can't be repaired.  Even the older (pre 2006) Radio Sound supplied radios were handled the same way. 

I would not worry about the radio you now have in the bike, this is a tried and true process that manufacturers have used for years. 

Brad

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »

I think your o.k. At least they didn't send your unit in for repair. I had a Toyota 4 Runner two years ago and the radio went out under warranty. They removed the radio and sent it in for repair. Took about two weeks. I argued with Toyota dealer for a new radio and didn't get anywhere.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »

Its common in the automotive business to have a replacement radio like you have described, one thing you may not know is that quite often it really is a new radio.  The mfr has to have a stock of radios to start with and some of the damaged ones returned can't be repaired.  Even the older (pre 2006) Radio Sound supplied radios were handled the same way. 

I would not worry about the radio you now have in the bike, this is a tried and true process that manufacturers have used for years. 

Brad

Exactly correct.  Also, they don't do component level repairs anyway, they change entire boards / displays / etc.  I wouldn't worry at all about the "refurb".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:18:02 PM »

I noticed in the parts book for 08 SEUC that they list the radio part and also list another radio part but with REFURB in the part number.

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »

I got a refurb radio from Radio Sound and it worked perfectly, unlike the "new" one it replaced. Don't worry about it.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.