Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I really need a Fuel Mgmt System?  (Read 1233 times)

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
Do I really need a Fuel Mgmt System?
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »

While my 08SEUC is in for the 110 fix, I am having the service dept, put V/H True Duals Headers on, while using the original S.E. Mufflers.( I like the Quiet). May Change Mufflers at a later date. Trying to cool down the engine. I already have the Big Sucker Air Filter, they said they would put bike on the Dyno to see if Fuel Mgmt System is necessary.
Discussing Warranty issues, they said they would stand behind me for any future problem, but could not speak for another dealer if a problem occurs on the road.
Fuel Mgmt seems to be the main issue, on Warranty.
Any feedback!
Sawyer Ghost

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Do I really need a Fuel Mgmt System?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:08:41 PM »

I really found the SERT or Super SERT for 08 to be the most flexible system for fuel mgmt.
I started with a canned map fro my air in out, then tuned it over a few days to get it where I wanted it...

It is a true ecm interface, not a piggybacked device.

JMHO

Best of luck with whatever you choose...

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:21:44 PM »

I agree with Miker. The SERT and Super SERT are very flexible and allow you to do a lot more than set AFR. You can change the rev limit, adjust spark advance/curves, and turn the engine idle temperature management system (EITMS) on or off. You can also retrieve diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and reset them too. If you increase displacement or install larger injectors you can compensate for those changes too. You can use the SERT to gather data too -like the "dyno run" option that allows you to estimate your bike's performance and compare changes.

The new VTune from TTS sounds pretty good to me too! It's made by the guys who made the original SERT, and it sounds pretty impressive.

With any of these three choices you will need a laptop to be able to make changes yourself. If you don't already have one, that could add quite a bit to the cost.  :o

It kind of depends on how much you like to be able to change things. If you ride and let the dealer do all your upgrades/repairs then you may not need one. If you like to tinker with things then I would recommend one of the SERTs or the VTune.  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:37:57 PM »

I agree with Miker. The SERT and Super SERT are very flexible and allow you to do a lot more than set AFR. You can change the rev limit, adjust spark advance/curves, and turn the engine idle temperature management system (EITMS) on or off. You can also retrieve diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and reset them too. If you increase displacement or install larger injectors you can compensate for those changes too. You can use the SERT to gather data too -like the "dyno run" option that allows you to estimate your bike's performance and compare changes.

The new VTune from TTS sounds pretty good to me too! It's made by the guys who made the original SERT, and it sounds pretty impressive.

With any of these three choices you will need a laptop to be able to make changes yourself. If you don't already have one, that could add quite a bit to the cost.  :o

It kind of depends on how much you like to be able to change things. If you ride and let the dealer do all your upgrades/repairs then you may not need one. If you like to tinker with things then I would recommend one of the SERTs or the VTune.  8)

Everything you mentioned, with the exception of enabling / disabling the EITMS, is also possible with a Power Commander. The SERT does allow for more detailed tuning as it uses 4 extra throttle position columns in the map, but it is also much more involved, read more $$, to have it professionally tuned.

Look at all the options and then ask the person who is going to tune your bike what they reccomend. Afterall, you are trusting them to do the tuning, so you should go with what they know and reccomend.

:indian_chief:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

While my 08SEUC is in for the 110 fix, I am having the service dept, put V/H True Duals Headers on, while using the original S.E. Mufflers.( I like the Quiet). May Change Mufflers at a later date. Trying to cool down the engine. I already have the Big Sucker Air Filter, they said they would put bike on the Dyno to see if Fuel Mgmt System is necessary.
Discussing Warranty issues, they said they would stand behind me for any future problem, but could not speak for another dealer if a problem occurs on the road.
Fuel Mgmt seems to be the main issue, on Warranty.
Any feedback!

'ghost,

If you want to cool the engine, as opposed to just cooling your right leg by eliminating the crossover pipe, you definitely need a fuel management device to richen the mixture.  The question of which device is best answered by the tuner you choose to tune your bike.  If the warranty thing is a deciding factor, just be aware that once you modify the map in the ECM with a SERT or Super SERT, Harley and the dealer will be aware of the modification anytime they hook up their diagnostic equipment to the bike.  Tuning devices like the PCIII, while slightly less functional than the SERT's, can be quickly removed and leave no electronic "fingerprints" the dealer or the MoCo could use against you.  My personal feeling is to go with a PCIII while in warranty or until you do internal engine modifications which would void the warranty anyway.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »

'ghost,

If you want to cool the engine, as opposed to just cooling your right leg by eliminating the crossover pipe, you definitely need a fuel management device to richen the mixture.  The question of which device is best answered by the tuner you choose to tune your bike.  If the warranty thing is a deciding factor, just be aware that once you modify the map in the ECM with a SERT or Super SERT, Harley and the dealer will be aware of the modification anytime they hook up their diagnostic equipment to the bike.  Tuning devices like the PCIII, while slightly less functional than the SERT's, can be quickly removed and leave no electronic "fingerprints" the dealer or the MoCo could use against you.  My personal feeling is to go with a PCIII while in warranty or until you do internal engine modifications which would void the warranty anyway.

Jerry

This may be true for some ECM tuning products but not all of them.  :coolblue:

Now if you do install a PC III and then remove it, is the bike going to run properly when the dealer gets it? While its all well and good to think about trying to make the motorco pay for warranty work when it's there fault ,it's not cool to try and get them for things you caused.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »

Plug readers are a dying breed..

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »

This may be true for some ECM tuning products but not all of them.  :coolblue:

Now if you do install a PC III and then remove it, is the bike going to run properly when the dealer gets it? While its all well and good to think about trying to make the motorco pay for warranty work when it's there fault ,it's not cool to try and get them for things you caused.

Yes, since it will still have the stock closed loop system the bike will run the same way it did when it was stock (as to whether or not that can be considered running properly is a whole different can of worms).  When you remove the PCIII you also remove the O2 sensor eliminators and put the entire system back to stock.  So far people who only change pipes and air cleaners on the '07 and later bikes have found the stock closed loop system is able to maintain the original AFR's, at least while in closed loop mode.  Dealers are telling customers they don't need a tune for these kinds of changes, and even folks like American Iron are saying the same thing.  I personally disagree, but there again that's a different can of worms.

As for your last statement, I would never advise anyone to commit fraud.  The addition of a PCIII isn't going to cause a crank to shift or an oil pump to fail, but many dealers will try to lay stuff like that off on customers who didn't buy their non-stock device from them.  There have already been documented cases on this site where warranty coverage has been denied because a SERT had been used, as well as cases where dealers refused to work on bikes with PCIII's installed.  The ability to remove the device before taking the bike to the dealer just eliminates all the fighting and BS. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.