Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLHRSEI seat help!  (Read 2258 times)

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member
FLHRSEI seat help!
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »

Any recommendations on making the stock seat on a 02 SE Roadking comfortable? The seat looks way good on the bike, but it is a killer on my backside. I'd like to keep it on the bike VS using an aftermarket, but it needs new foam or something. Have any of you guys had this done and how did it come out for you?
Thanks
Phil

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
Re: FLHRSEI seat help!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:47 PM »

I am in the same boat. I like the seat on my 08 as well. However, the rump is beginning to hurt. I heard the air hawk is nice and works well, say for long trips. You keep the original seat for short rides and long ones throw the air hawk on. JMO. Order from the site $146.00. Order from the stealer $169.00 plus tax. I found a mustang seat #79426 that looks good and hope fits good. good luck in your search and let me know what you find...

http://westendmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=1648_1649_1658_1989_1998&products_id=9443
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »

I have a sundowner on the bike now, Way more comfortable, but I would like to find someone to re-foam or install a gel pad or something that would make the stock seat work (just cause the stingray looks cool). I tried a mustang and a Corbin and they both moved me away from the bars too much, the sundowner doesn't do that but it costs me in the "cool factor".  I'm hoping someone will direct e to a seat man that has reworked one like mine for them. I don't want to throw money at the thing without some assurance that it will help.
Thanks
Phil

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »

My recommendation is that if you like the looks of the stock seat then have it re-worked. Find a shop that will use a high grade high density foam , sometimes referred to as space foam or memory foam. In addition, you'll want a cut-out in the foam for a gel pad in the seating area. This will produce an exceptionally comfortable seat that if done properly will not look different from the stock seat.

As regards the Air-Hawk ?  They give the feeling that you are up high on the bike as opposed to sitting down in it.They are over-priced, poor quality and not the answer to your problem IMHO 

B B

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »

My recommendation is that if you like the looks of the stock seat then have it re-worked. Find a shop that will use a high grade high density foam , sometimes referred to as space foam or memory foam. In addition, you'll want a cut-out in the foam for a gel pad in the seating area. This will produce an exceptionally comfortable seat that if done properly will not look different from the stock seat.

As regards the Air-Hawk ?  They give the feeling that you are up high on the bike as opposed to sitting down in it.They are over-priced, poor quality and not the answer to your problem IMHO 

B B
I can not say as personal experience,however, I did sit on one in the shop and sat alittle higher than usual. Just a thunnkkkk. I do like the idea improving the seat and making room for the gel pad...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »

Any recommendations on making the stock seat on a 02 SE Roadking comfortable? The seat looks way good on the bike, but it is a killer on my backside. I'd like to keep it on the bike VS using an aftermarket, but it needs new foam or something. Have any of you guys had this done and how did it come out for you?
Thanks
Phil
http://www.alaskaleather.com/

These get great reviews on the KLR forum I track... 

I'm with you on the seat, I like the look of the seat on my 03 SERK, and with all of the griping about Corbin QC lately am hesitant to lay down the cash to not be happy...  Hell, I can not be happy for free now!

Sean

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »

Sean
        The 03 Screamin Eagle Road King seat is by far the most comfortable seat H-D ever made. Having read some of your posts about conditions in Iraq, I'd think you'd consider that seat a little piece of heaven.

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »

Sean
        The 03 Screamin Eagle Road King seat is by far the most comfortable seat H-D ever made. Having read some of your posts about conditions in Iraq, I'd think you'd consider that seat a little piece of heaven.

B B

It's OK - but I would love to be up and back a bit... 

I have yet to spend more then about 2 hours at a stretch on it, so cannot even comment on long rides.  But for my 20 miles to work each day, its great.
Now the fold down seat on a C-17, or the troop seats on the same, that is another story.  You plant your ass on anything for 12 hours at a stretch and its gonna hurt!

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »

Try this guy out.  He did my seat on a 02 Ultra, did a good job.  Gel packs can be inserted in your stock seat.

www.alligatorbob.com

Hawk

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »

Sent mine up to Butt Buffer in PA and they did my seat with custom gel and put on real leather, etc. They did the reconstruction looks exactly like the original in nearly every detail. Just far more comfortable. They also did the backrests. Believe they now have locations in other cities as well.

Get it done!!  :2vrolijk_21:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

Try this guy out.  He did my seat on a 02 Ultra, did a good job.  Gel packs can be inserted in your stock seat.

www.alligatorbob.com

Hawk

As noted elsewhere, Alligator Bob is a custom seat maker of the higest order. He specializes in the extreme high end of the marketplace. While I assure you, you'll have a seat for the ages, your bank account will be several thousand (yep thousand) dollars lighter.

Not a good reference as regards the question posed by the subject of this thread in my personal opinion

B B

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »

The HD dealer recommended a local guy that I talked to about re-foaming the seat and adding a gel insert, he says he's done several with memory foam and gel inserts, guess I'll let him have a go at the seat this fall. In the meantime I bought a harley leather low profile seat and I'm really liking it! It moves me down and forward a bit, and makes the reach to the stock bars better. I was going to have to change bars with the stingray seat, but I think I can get by without that with this seat. It's shaped a lot like the stingray seat, but it sure has better foam or a different shaped pan (and it looks good on the bike too).
Phil

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:57 PM »

I found a seat customizer myself, and am thinking the same thing. I like the low profiler for myself. Get new foam or gel in the original seat for the wife and I.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

It's ugly, but the Sundowner was comfortable during the four day commute (two down, two back ~2400 miles) to MV last week.  No complaints. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.