Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Drive Belt Tension  (Read 4457 times)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
Re: Drive Belt Tension
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 01:40:34 PM »

Mine started the decel howl, after I had the rear tire replaced. I reset the belt to the loose side of spec and the howl is gone.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
MObe

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2005, 01:05:08 AM »

Thanks,Well looks like I am not the only one. Saturday will be a good day to play mechanic.http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=KAS9636 On this topic of belt adjustment. I ain't to happy about dropping the muffler just tweek tha 36mm nut.  Thank you to the HD design team once again for piddly aggrevation. The 36mm socket I have reaaly does not alaign well with the muffler still bolted in. I was looking for an alternative solution to torquing the nut without the muffler adjustment. Things like crow feet etc. I found a wrench thats slips in there and lets you use torque wrench. I have link . http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=KAS9636

jerry

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2005, 09:25:33 AM »

Just an interesting physics point that I remember is that two things are backwards when it comes to heat.  Water and Rubber.  They both contract when heated and expand when frozen.  This actually came in handy when I tryed to put a silicone intake throat on my corvette and could not get the thing on while it was room temp so I froze it and it slipped right on.  Just a rare use of the crap we learned in HS.  Since the belt is a long piece of rubber and gets pretty hot this would be a great explanation for the problem and the lack of being able to test it when the bike is cold.  Maybe you should test the belt tightness right after a hard ride on a hot day and see what you get.  Just my 1.5 cents JP [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 09:39:34 AM »

Just an interesting physics point that I remember is that two things are backwards when it comes to heat.  Water and Rubber.  They both contract when heated and expand when frozen.  

Ummm, not quite.  Water expands as it gets warmer.  Think about water in the pan rising over the top as it boils or sea levels rising as ocean temperatures rise.  Water then contracts as it cools but only up until the point of freezing.  As it freezes it then expands again.  Think about a busted block in an engine with only water and no anti-freeze or the pipes under the house on a cold winter's night.

There are metals with differing expansion and contraction properties relative to heat as well.  That comes in handy as alloys can be produced that will mix a little of this and a little of that to make critical components stable across a temperature range.

Since this is a family site, however, I'm not even gonna touch on the expansion and contraction of rubbers.....

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »

Now you guys are talking! Atomic science, molecular configurations, thermal propeties , modulus of elasticity,resonant frequency. Kinda glad the rubber theory stopped where it did.  Funny I never did even think about carrying that HD $20 10lb belt analysis instrument(spring) on the bike. I think that a hot measurement would be interesting plus it means taking a ride to get it. I did one measurement of an  stock 04 dresser and found the belt width is the same as ours. I thought sure we had a bigger different belt and the belt was made from some atom bomb proof aramid fiber Kelvar stuff. The only thing I know from experience is that the belts don't stretch much after the first run in, The first belt I ever had was on an 86 fxwg adjusted it only once or twice. Was glad to trash the chain lube. I will say that(knock on wood) this is the best Harley I ever had.

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 07:53:47 AM »

I have a similar noise that begin following the 1K srevice. Sounds like a "wind" kind of noise. Occurs when hot. Isn't effected by RPM's, just bike speed.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

4stars

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »

Just got my bike back from 1000 mile service yesterday.  It's hotter than blue blazes here in North Texas (over 100 f) and my bike was howling whenever I decelerate, even at low speeds.  Very embarassing.  This morning I rode to work and didn't even hear the noise.  I am running 20 pounds pressure in rear shocks, just got bike back from 1000 mile service, and very high temperature with hard riding.....
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.